Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1388615 Posts in 66620 Topics- by 59294 Members - Latest Member: JohnJohn765

March 02, 2021, 03:25:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]  (Read 136858 times)
jakobrogert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 02:23:06 AM »

Yes, this game is so full of the happy kind of approachable and quirky design that games used to have. Playful, I believe is the word.
Zolyx
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »

Really great game, had me playing for way longer than I should have!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Mostly harmless indie gamer
Zolyx.co.uk :: The Minecraft Museum
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:23 PM »

Jakobrogert: There were definitely some board game influences on the design! I always thought Arkham Horror would make a better video game, for example.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2010, 04:53:08 AM »

I really liked the feeling of depth the vignettes and little bits of text gave to the town. They made me happy.

I couldn't handle the combat that well. It looked like you needed to use good timing and movement to avoid enemy attacks, and it felt like the controls weren't cooperating with me to do this. But I only tried it single player.

Kepa
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »

I never tried Friar, I'll probably go ahead and do that whenever the next version's out.  I found thief to be more than powerful enough.  Thief also has the advantage of it being possible to get the character immediately, through careful training.

Once you get a hang of the enemy AI, you can basically just have them sort of fall on your sword.  Once you learn how to do this with a sword, you can even do it with a short dagger.  With the dagger, you do have to sometimes run backwards a step.  Enemies can't spam their attack as fast as you can, so if they swing and miss you can get a completely safe hit in.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 04:05:42 AM »

Hmmm.... maybe I should raise the requirements on the Thief class, because I don't think anyone ever plays as the Bandit. I thought his roll ability would be pretty cool, but it seems like it's too difficult to use effectively. If he were invincible while rolling, would people use him more?
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2010, 09:43:39 AM »

Hmmm.... maybe I should raise the requirements on the Thief class, because I don't think anyone ever plays as the Bandit. I thought his roll ability would be pretty cool, but it seems like it's too difficult to use effectively. If he were invincible while rolling, would people use him more?
Of course. That would change the bandit from a throwaway class to the best technical class in the game. If played with perfect timing, he could avoid taking any damage, and much like the thief, he would serve as a fragile high risk-high reward class as opposed to the meatier classes such as the damage mitigating knight, or fragile ranged classes such as the bowmen and mages.
MisterStone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:18 AM »

Well if we're going to talk about balancing stuff out, as was mentioned before, It seems to me like the magician classes are pretty weak.  Maybe I need to be using their melee more, but it seems like the archers have them beat.

Maybe you could let them use another power by holding down the melee key for a sec or two (they wave their staff around and cast a spell)?   Beg
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 03:39:45 PM »

Well if we're going to talk about balancing stuff out, as was mentioned before, It seems to me like the magician classes are pretty weak.  Maybe I need to be using their melee more, but it seems like the archers have them beat.

Maybe you could let them use another power by holding down the melee key for a sec or two (they wave their staff around and cast a spell)?   Beg
Yeah, I'd pretty much have to agree with that. While I have yet to play a necro, I have played every other class, and the magic users so seem to fall flat, especially in comparison to high int archers, who can spam the hell out of special arrows, to the point where they never use primary arrows. Mages would probably serve better as straight AoE characters than weak archers with the possibility of AoE if you feel like waiting for a charge. Slowing/poisoning/freezing/burning effects could also work.
Kepa
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »

Yeah, I'd pretty much have to agree with that. While I have yet to play a necro, I have played every other class, and the magic users so seem to fall flat, especially in comparison to high int archers, who can spam the hell out of special arrows, to the point where they never use primary arrows. Mages would probably serve better as straight AoE characters than weak archers with the possibility of AoE if you feel like waiting for a charge. Slowing/poisoning/freezing/burning effects could also work.

I had no idea about the archers Int thing.  I thought Int was just for spellcasters.  I'll have to check that out, and I found archers really weak otherwise.

Necro is incredibly strong once you get high Int, so long as you're standing on an enemy's corpse.  The strategy becomes killing the weakest enemy on the screen as fast as possible, then obliterating everything else with homing skulls once you're standing on the weak enemy's corpse.  I ended up pummeling the Bone Lord as a Necromancer.  Probably the quickest I've killed him.
MisterStone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »

Oh, so THAT's how a necromancer works?  I didn't understand the class description, and was wondering what was up with these guys being so weak. Smiley
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:09 AM »

Heh, yeah, int doesn't do anything for archers. I think the Necromancer's probably ok, but I'll admit that the Adept is pretty weak. The game could definitely use another mage class, methinks, to give casters more choice for progression.

I wasn't planning on adding new content to the game any time soon (in this form at least), but since you guys seem it to like so much and said as much with your votes, I'll put some more stuff in to show my appreciation.
Curseman
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2010, 12:31:49 AM »

I think it'd be nice to have the third wizard class not be slowed down by charging his shots.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »

I wasn't planning on adding new content to the game any time soon (in this form at least), but since you guys seem it to like so much and said as much with your votes, I'll put some more stuff in to show my appreciation.

Niiiiiiice!! More content!! :D

MisterStone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:30 AM »

Thanks Pulsemeat, this game is one of those games that one keeps playing even though you don't know why you like it so much.  Er, that didn't come out right. You know what I mean!  Even if you are tired of this game I hope you will keep developing new ones in the future.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 04:04:32 PM »

This deserved first place Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »

Thanks for the beer, moi!

I'm not tired of the game, what I really want to do is find a way to expand it outside Game Maker. But... I'll add that extra content I promised first.
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »

This was probably my favorite entry in the contest. I wouldn't've thought an RPG-type game like this could work well with local multiplayer, but the formula you came up with is excellent. I also love the fact that it ends in either a "win" or "loss". There's not many games where you can say you've played them through several times and still not beaten the final boss.

The dialogue is charming, but I wish there was more of it. The first time you get caught graverobbing or encounter the toad that wants a kiss the decision is a lot of fun, but it loses something on subsequent tries when you know the "right answer".

If you ultimately make a new, non-GM version, I personally think you should work to make character collisions a little friendlier. If walking into an ally "pushed" you out of them rather than simply stopping you, I think moving through tight spaces would be easier. Like, if I was walking past someone and overlapped them by a pixel, it'd be nice if it just readjusted my trajectory rather than halting me.

Curseman
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

I thought this was the best entry, although I haven't played bitworld yet, so I can't say whether that deserves its first place position.

Possible cleric nerf: make it so you only half of the hp you lose from any given attack is recoverable.

It's probably also be a good idea to make the heal spell recharge a bit slower.  It's so fast right now that you can almost always use it immediately after being hit.
SkyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Just played this with my roommate, first time with another person. It was lots of fun! He tried being a paladin but really didn't like it, so he switched to friar and he and my longbowman were able to beat the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic