Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:10:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]  (Read 156585 times)
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »

This is my favorite entry! I was finally able to beat the bone lord by myself being a necromancer. I'm still working on the rest of the bosses though. Multiplayer is a blast but I would say my only minor complaint is the player collision. It was hassle enough with just having one friend play along with me. I couldn't imagine the choas of having 4 people in a cramped hallway. But it looks like it's already been brought up so I guess I'll just say great job on an awesome entry.
Alehandro
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »

This is a million times better than Bitworld. Great job making this man, you should have won
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 03:31:56 AM »

Played a Four-Player game on the weekend. Oh man, we dug it. You really nailed the co-op - we were cheering each other on, backing each other up, and generally looking forward to what the game held for us. Plus, we slew that Bone Lord. Beat him right out of town. Sucka.

To put it simply, the game just works. It plays smoothly, all the characters are different, the progress is fast and nice to watch. The constant extra events really make it - conversations with Scorpions, meeting the Guard Captain for a midnight rendezvous, the "subtly erotic" ink blots - succinct, charming and hilarious.

Props to the artists too. Very cute sprites, great music.

Pulsemeat, this is mind blowing stuff. Is there any chance you'll build upon it further? More top-level classes, random events, stuff like that? I fear Learning all the events will dull the replay value. Regardless, I'm going to be watching your future games. Too good.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »

Thanks guys! There's going to be at least one more content patch for this version of the game soon, I'm thinking next week since I've already made the new classes. Like I said though, I'd really like to see if I can move the game/concept to something bigger.

And yeah, mad props to the Part 1 Assemblee folks for their awesome art and music. I don't think I said that enough before.
Jackyhk
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »

Beer! Just to give more support to this amazingly fun game. =p Out of all the games around here this is the only one that really caught my attention (because of dungeon crawling + co-op + multi-classes features and etc. etc.) and I have to say it was definitely worth the download and play!

Btw, I noticed that if the enemies are not doing a whole a lot of damage to you, it makes it difficult for an ally Friar to heal you since the yellow bar disappears very quickly. Not that it's an big issue, but it was a bit annoying as I was crawling through the mansion dungeon; the wavey balls were pertty difficult to dodge for me, lol. Also, Buccaneers power shot felt a bit weak compared to sword attack and it wasn't providing much use for me (since I kill most minions in one slash anyway), and I was wondering if it was made that way or I was having some stats issue.

Anyway,I am so excited to know that you are still updating the game! Can't wait to play it when the new patch kicks in; I would love to see new mage class coming in.

P.S. Just some random thoughts while I was reading through this thread: why call it a Thief class when it cannot steal gold from enemies?  Tongue Wouldn't it be more suitable to call it an Assassin class since it can hide and does double damage backstab? (it reminds me of Rogue/Assassin class in NWN2) And then perhaps you can make a real Thief class that can actually steal gold.  :D (so Assassin would be a class that comes after Thief, something like that)
fetterson
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »

Hey I decided to use my first post to tell you how much I freaking love this game.  I really think it should have won the compo (3D graphics must go a long way).  I am super excited for any updates you might do!

I do have one suggestion though, maybe set the amount of weeks before the Bone Lord comes? I always feel like I wish I had more time to grow my character...maybe even make the Bone Lord stronger the longer you decide to take?

Anyway thought I would throw my 2 cents out there. Very very excellent game!
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »

Jackyhk: Hmmm... I guess years of fantasy games have caused me to forget that thieves are supposed to steal things and not just stab monsters with daggers. Oh well. The buccaneer's "thing" is that he's the only class (in theory) that has a powerful melee AND a ranged attack, but I've upped the powder shot damage a little for the next patch anyway.

Fetterson: In a larger implementation of the game, I'd like to have some sort of "Epic" mode in addition to what there is now (which I guess would be "Quick" or "Party" mode).

The new classes are one mage and one weirdo jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none guy. I think you'll get a kick out of them!
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »

Not sure if anyone is going to notice this post, but I've put up a new version with two new classes, a bunch of events, etc. Check out the unstable/update/latest version if you want to try it out.

There's a semi-secret boss in the game now, and he's pretty nasty (at least, he's supposed to be). Give it a shot if you're really hardcore.
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »

OH YOU BASTARD

I'm doing a game jam right now and you are seriously tempting me to take a "short" break and check this out.

patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »

The same happens with the Fuzzy version.

Halp. =(

Tried re-downloading, didn't help.
BTW I'm using Windows 7.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:43:50 PM by patata » Logged
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »

I solved it by... setting a default printer in Windows.
Seriously, what the fuck?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »

Your printer wanted to play with you.

hi
MisterStone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »

The update is pretty fun all right!  I am not sure if I "get" the summoner, I keep thinking there is more to him than meets the eye.  Can he do more than three transformations if his INT goes up?  Is there more to him than this?  I noticed that once when I transformer back into my normal form there was a white ring around him.  Not sure what to make of this yet.  Smiley

Also another spoilery thing I noticed:  *spoiler spoiler*

In this version, after becoming mayor I am still able to train with the chancellor.  In the older releases this was not possible.  Is this a bug, or did you reconsider this feature?
instant karma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »

For starters, I've been playing this game with two buds and it's been a blast. In our last run, I reluctantly went Friar, and on a whim decided to forego everything but Fortitude. I ended up with 115 Fort and was basically a walking wall of tanks, except the tanks had no guns. I puffed up my chest, held my breath, and took the Bone Lord's skull barrage in the face and only lost a pixel of health, like a badass.

Between us, we've played all the classes, and for the most part, we found that ones that seemed lame at first were actually pretty awesome (like the Thief and the Bandit) once we learned about their special abilities, but in our experience the Buccaneer and the Summoner are pretty lame. The Buccaneer's gun didn't do enough damage really to warrant using it ever, and the Summoner just did no damage, ever, in any of his forms. His melee hit for around 22 as a demon in the Underwyrld, while our Bandit was hitting for over 50, rapidly, easily. His ranged attacks were about as effective as the Bone Lord's skulls were against my 115 fort friar, doing 8 or so damage. Is there something we're missing? Especially RE: the summoner?

I also have a few bugs to report, which could contain some spoilers!

*possible spoilers*

With the new content update, I think there's a new event where you are forced into a drinking game (fortitude check) and if you fail it, there's no followup - the game hangs at a blank dialog box and you can't get out of it. We never passed it so I don't know if it does the same thing when you pass it. It's probably the most major bug we encountered as it completely stops the game and we had to start over.

One time, via the mayor, we got the discount event twice, so training was 350g. One of us had 450 or so gold - enough to train, but not without the discounts. It wouldn't let him train, as if it thought that he needed 500 gold.

Also, when you talk to the scorpion in the Underwyrld and you choose the "Talk" option, when you try to leave the scorpion's peninsula, you take 10 damage as if you touched lava even when you don't. I'm not sure if this happens with the "Fight" option as well since we don't pick it.

Finally, in the Underwyrld, there's one of those arena rooms where it warps you to a part of the level and you can't exit until you kill all the bad guys. This one spawns yellow-robed tentacle dudes who shoot fireballs and have a purple knockback pulse. Every time, second player (I think..) is teleported onto one of the graves and is stuck, unable to move, unless he gets knocked out of the grave by one of the wizards. If you kill them all by accident, then the poor sucker's stuck and you probably have to start over.

*end spoilers*

Anyways, great game. I love the event dialogue. I especially love the "subtly erotic" ink blots and guards paying me to not arrest any more youths as they were beginning to resent authority. I love the game's length, too, and it'd be awesome if you keep adding classes and content.
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2010, 11:48:48 PM »

I agree 100% with instant karma.
Buccaneer and summoner just aren't worth the effort.
The best classes are the ones that just ask you to level up two stats and can hit multiple enemies at the same time (barbarian, storm mage, archer).
The game is GREAT (I really mean it, I love it) but it needs some balance and an option to skip the first dungeon.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »

Thanks for the great feedback! I've uploaded a quick fix to stop the game-breaking bug in the tavern, and I'll take a look at the other bugs this evening.

*spoilers I guess?*

The doppleganger and the buccaneer are "supposed" to be valuable for their versatility - the buccaneer has a ranged attack and a potentially powerful melee attack available to him at all times, and is the only class that can do that. In theory he could shoot from a distance safely and then attack with a sword when his opponent gets close. I was thinking this would be useful for soloers, but it might be that specialization is just always better than versatility in this game. I'll probably keep thinking about this class for a while.

The summoner, on the other hand, might actually be more useful than you guys think. Did you know that the damage of his monster forms scales with INT? Even with that in mind though, the melee form was still too weak, so I buffed its damage in the update. He also heals a certain percentage when returning to human form, and the slime form takes significantly less damage.

I still think the summoner's probably a useful class, but again, versatility might not count for as much as it should.

*end spoilers*
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »

Why shoot the monster doing 10 damage when you can charge at it and probably kill it (and hit more enemies) with one blow as a barbarian?
To make things worse, you spent your "training time" raising stats that don't help you at combat (charm!) while the barbarian just kept boosting STR and FORT.

I still think the summoner's probably a useful class, but again, versatility might not count for as much as it should.

Just as you said. There's no point in being able to tank some damage, do medium damage @ melee AND ranged when a specialized class can do much better in 1 or 2 of those tasks.

IMHO, versatile classes only are useful in games with 3/4 players. They can help melee or the ranged guys, depending on the situation at hand.
Most of the time (at least in my case) you only play with two players, so the poor versatile class ends getting owned by a strong monster while trying to tank or doing weaksauce ranged damage while the tank takes all the heat.

Hope my feedback helps!
BTW, sorry for the bad english, if any. Tongue
jkd003
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »

Awesome! I can't wait to test it out with my friends!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2010, 02:43:44 AM »

Just a thought, but if you're doing it single player (since I have NO FRIENDS thanks for asking) could you get a slight boost in funds or something to help the difficulty?

hi
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

Believe it or not, you actually do get a gold bonus for playing solo, because you don't have to share the monster loot drops. There is something I'd like to do to make ambushes easier for the solo player though, which I'll look into for the next version.

Although I don't want any classes to seem "worthless", I doubt I'll ever get to the point where they all feel equally balanced. Right now of course, there's no benefit to replaying the game except to experience new content, so it's not like there's any reason you should play as the barbarian again if you've already beaten the game as him once.

That said, I do think some further motivation to play all the different classes is in order, so I'm going to try to do something cool to reward it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic