Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:06:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2OrthoCrawl [Demo]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OrthoCrawl [Demo]  (Read 2617 times)
ecliptic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »

Well, this is more of a proof of concept / engine demo than anything else. Sound and a garden to explore are in.

Under the hood, new map creation and item population is dead-easy, I just ran out of time. The GUI is dynamically created too, which was probably not the best thing to spend time on. I'm definitely going to be continuing development of this, I feel like it has good potential.

TODO:
NPCs
Combat
Inventory

I won't defame the people who actually did stuff, and did it on time by posting it on the finished thread. Smiley I could've thrown it in yesterday, but it really wasn't anything even close to showing off. This is only marginally closer.

http://www.filedropper.com/orthocrawl

Coded in: LUA using the Love2D game library (great stuff, if you're not familiar)

Assets used:
dungeon tiles: oryx
discontinuity - Pete Meadows
sound effects - shaktool
elegante_pixel font: oneup
assembleee font: zaratustra
5x7 font - NMcCoy

If anyone's interested in the source, give a yell. Development is going to continue.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:51:58 PM by ecliptic » Logged
Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »

A bit?
If you started today and finish you should win for the sheer manliness of such a feat.

Good luck!

Linus
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »

yay!
ecliptic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »

Main post updated, and source given. Wish I had better time management skills, heh.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »

Cool, feels really nice - I like the bits of text.
Some suggestions should you continue -

Pixel consistency, lots of things are different pixel densities which feels funky, could it be all the same resolution?

Perhaps use the distant tiles as well (the 2 spaces away art)?

ecliptic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »

Thanks for the feedback (and the awesome assets)!

Cool, feels really nice - I like the bits of text.
Some suggestions should you continue -

Pixel consistency, lots of things are different pixel densities which feels funky, could it be all the same resolution?

Good point. Internally I was battling with the desire to make the whole of the interface visible simultaneously, but at the same time I didn't want the automap and the other interface elements to overshadow the main viewport... This is definitely something I'm going to play around with. Thankfully, almost none of it is hardcoded, so it should be easy to play around with.

I'm also not sure how well the character and scenery sprites would react to being scaled down when drawn at half size with a half pixel count, if I actually keep all the pixels the same size. Hmm.

If you don't mind me asking, what resolution is your desktop? It didn't seem too bad to me, but I run at 1920x1200, so that could be hiding the full extent of the funk from me. Smiley But I am all over the place. The viewport is 8x, everything else is 4x, except for the font (and the squares that outline the messagebox).

Perhaps use the distant tiles as well (the 2 spaces away art)?

I plugged away for a few hours coding these in (in some cases using 2 pixel wide slices amalgamated together), and just could not seem to get them to look right. I'm sure I wasn't putting the assets together correctly, but turns and deadends just didn't seem to approach at a consistent rate as the player stepped forward (mostly the transition from two squares out front to one). I eventually cut my losses and just pulled the view back in. It would obviously be nice if I could get this working.

I'm thinking I'm going to make the combat some form of turnbased, but I'm still brainstorming out ways to give it some depth. I've never been a big fan of the Dungeon Master / Eye of the Beholder attack as fast as you can or attack and backup repeatedly combat.

Thanks again for the feedback! It feels great to finally get something put together, even if it's only halfway to where I hoped it would be, heh.
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:38 PM »

If you need help or additional tiles to get the distant view working just let me know.
My desktop is 1920x1200 - I like that the game is scaled to 4x or 6x or whatever, just the mixing of resolutions within the game window itself nags at the pixel purist in me! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic