Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:27:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPhysical comedy in gameplay
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Physical comedy in gameplay  (Read 7137 times)
Zaphos
« on: January 26, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »

I've been thinking about about games like The Big Adventures of Owata's Life, I Wanna Be The Guy, and whatever this Japanese game is called.

I tend to think of them as defining a sort of 'ultra-difficult' game genre, but now I think they're actually as much about comedy as they are about difficulty.  There's a really nice humor in the way that they constantly find new ways to shift the mechanics of the game world to cause surprise death.

So I was wondering: could this kind of physical comedy be separated out from the ultra-hard nature of these games, to make something which is purely a gameplay-driven comedy?

And also, have you seen other games which achieve comedy through their gameplay mechanics (as opposed to writing or art)?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »

I don't have anything to say, except that the japanese game is called Syobon-action.

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 05:23:17 AM »

I'm sure Sexy Hiking can be classed as some sort of physical comedy...

Last release: sync::routine
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:04:08 AM »

This might be stating the obvious, but the way Syabon and IWBTG creates humor is by being unexpected; You have a lot of intuitive knowledge of how some games (platform games in this case) are "supposed to work", and the humor comes from being surprised when they don't work that way.

It would be hard to make an easy game whose main purpose is to punish the player for having preconceptions, so if you want to take inspiration from those games you might want to make the punishment near-nothing. Another way of approaching the problem would be to look at other common ways of creating comedy and try to apply it to interactivity, but I'm not sure to what extent this has been explored already.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

SUMOTORI DREAMS!!!!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »

SUMOTORI DREAMS!!!!

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »

Also Stair Dismount!

Petri Purho
Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:38 AM »

This might be stating the obvious, but the way Syabon and IWBTG creates humor is by being unexpected; You have a lot of intuitive knowledge of how some games (platform games in this case) are "supposed to work", and the humor comes from being surprised when they don't work that way.

It would be hard to make an easy game whose main purpose is to punish the player for having preconceptions, so if you want to take inspiration from those games you might want to make the punishment near-nothing.
Does "being surprised when they don't work that way" require the game to punish players?  It seems like surprises could just as easily be positive or neutral.  To give some (perhaps weak) examples: what if Mario ran in to a goomba and he ... gave you candies?  Or if you were expecting a boss and you got an anti-climactic empty room instead?

SUMOTORI DREAMS!!!!
Haha, I had forgotten about these games!  But it seems Sumotori Dreams is almost just straight slapstick comedy, without really taking advantage of the interactivity side of things, especially since half the humor is in just watching the characters try to stand up after the match ...
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 02:54:22 AM »

Does "being surprised when they don't work that way" require the game to punish players?  It seems like surprises could just as easily be positive or neutral.  To give some (perhaps weak) examples: what if Mario ran in to a goomba and he ... gave you candies?  Or if you were expecting a boss and you got an anti-climactic empty room instead?

Not sure, I don't think you could keep the provocative nature of the jokes without actually abusing the player, and it would be a different kind of humor without Schadenfreude.

Also, a game that behaves unexpectedly is harder by definition so it wouldn't be so much about making the surprises themselves easier to deal with rather than to make the entire game easier.

... But you might be on to something. Syabon takes a lot of advantage of situations where players are used to feel safe due to artificially created "rules" that no longer apply, for example; if there is a way to enter a pit without dying, there is a way to get out. I guess you could create comedy by disabling rules that artificially raise the difficulty; for example locked doors that never can be opened without a key, bosses that can only be hurt at their one "weak spot", arbitrary time limits etc.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »

I want a physics pie throwing game. That's comedy right?

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 03:48:31 AM »

I want a physics pie throwing game. That's comedy right?
here you go:
http://fun-motion.com/physics-games/i-hate-clowns/
"The premise of I Hate Clowns is simple: You throw metal pies at clowns who are being inexplicably launched into the air like skeet shoot targets."

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 05:32:14 AM »

... Everything has been done -.-

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 06:18:24 AM »

Personally, I think anything with ragdoll physics is inherently funny.

tweet tweet @j_younger
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 07:27:06 AM »

That little 1v1 level in Unreal Tournament 2003 with the pit in the middle full of random struts and bars was awesome.

On the subject of making a comedy physics-y game, it might be helpful to look at the masters of physical/visual comedy - silent movies. Imagine, say, Buster Keaton's The General: The Game.

olücæbelel
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »

I remember a small GM mario parody game where Mario would always get killed no matter what.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 08:02:52 AM »

sumotori dreams is seriously one of the funniest things ive ever seen.
me and my friends laughed our asses off solid for like an hour when we first discovered that little gem.

its physical comedy GOLD.

also, games arent funny.
in general.
any kind of funny.

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »

The better the graphics get, the more amusing stuff like

is.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

HERMES!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=485.0
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »

A physics game that didn't do a single attempt to remove any glitches could be funny (Of course glitches that crash the game would be gone.). Like, stuff like that crysis thing could happen more often and such.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »

A physics game that didn't do a single attempt to remove any glitches could be funny (Of course glitches that crash the game would be gone.). Like, stuff like that crysis thing could happen more often and such.

I think it'd lose the fun in it a lot if it were that way. What makes those Crysis glitches so hilarious is the fact they are supposed to be rare and difficult to happen in a game that strives for realism and perfection. then again, I could be completely wrong.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic