Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:33:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2s h i n e [finished enough for me] [small update]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: s h i n e [finished enough for me] [small update]  (Read 37925 times)
Juha Kangas
Level 0

Scandalous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 03:53:07 AM »

I found it genuinely creepy when I first saw the monster (sitting in a dark room at night probably helped) and the game was generally unsettling, which wasn't something I expected.

I didn't really understand that I had a machine gun until I read it here now and it seemed to fire at random sometimes but I just thought it was....something else.

Anyway, it's a nice game!

FungusTrooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »

I played up until I died the first time. I didn't know there were actual monster(s), as I never saw them, just heard a rumbling and saw corpses, etc.

Then I found a book, skipped through it, walked further into the room and got a "oops you died" box. Did I miss something? Are you introduced to the monster(s) at all? It almost felt like a grue "hey you aren't supposed to explore here so here's an instant death" thing to me.

Which is a shame because I really really love the aesthetics of this. I just.. yeah, I don't really like single kill enemies I can't see and never do, haha.
SidM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »

Wow.

You went ahead and did what I was mulling ages ago. http://etherpad.com/tigsource ( Scroll down to "Voidwalker" : Line 280 )

~~~

I had trouble at the keypad because I kept trying to click the buttons. Hehe. Then I typed in the numbers and it was okay.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »

Quite enjoyed this, good mood and sense of place to the environment. Felt like the torch was maybe a little too narrow and I didnt' really get if I was being attacked or not by the shadow creatures. But definitely one I plan to go back and play a little more once i've got through enough of the games to vote.

davidarcila
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

wow! i was playing the game and noticed the crates :D nice!
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 05:34:45 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm surprised how positive it's been (including that mention on Bytejacker). Since the coding here is a little embarrassing to me - especially those text-box-deaths - I'm moving ahead with plans to re-make this as something proper. Since it's post-assemblee I'll be drawing a lot of graphics myself to better fit their usage in the game. Among other things, I've been trying to get down the "style" of Arne's giraffe.

(Of course, I also still have to check with Arne to make sure he is okay with me using his design. I'd hate to give up these weird, large-headed giraffes, though)

Then I found a book, skipped through it, walked further into the room and got a "oops you died" box. Did I miss something? Are you introduced to the monster(s) at all? It almost felt like a grue "hey you aren't supposed to explore here so here's an instant death" thing to me.
The monster actively tries to attack you from behind. It's possible to glimpse the monster before it "activates" by going north at the first corpse, but it's a little easy to miss this (lack of beta testing does that). Sorry it came across as a hard-coded insta-death!

You went ahead and did what I was mulling ages ago. http://etherpad.com/tigsource ( Scroll down to "Voidwalker" : Line 280 )
Wow. I had never read this beforehand, but you described my game almost perfectly. Sorry for telepathically stealing your idea Wink.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »

That's pretty awesome. I'm down with making more sounds if you need 'em.
Saphiric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »

I was playing in a darkish room at 2;30 in the morning, when I first saw the monster north of the first corpse, I thought it was just a pile of corpses. Then it started moving and I was like OMGWTFWASTHATHOLYSHIT ( Screamy)

Great so far though i haven't played much. Can't wait to play more!

Every cloud has a silver lining(except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90).<br />--Kevin Holmes
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »

Liked: Really atmospheric. Considering all the different sources for assets nothing looked out of place. I was a giraffe, awesome! Some really nice little touches when examining items. The flashlight effect was really well done.

Disliked: The first death is maybe too close to the start. I'd have liked the suspense to increase a little before I get unceremoniously mutilated.

Conclusion: Liked this a lot even though I'm not usually a fan of the genre. Definitely one of the favourites to win.

CharlieRedfox
TIGBaby

Game critic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 07:01:03 AM »

I loved the game. The horror asthetic was pleasing and I really liked the characters and the tension. :D Great job man!

Hello, Im a video game critic. I probably hate yours.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic