Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:35:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHeavy Metal Thunder Warriors
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Thunder Warriors  (Read 11371 times)
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:28:04 AM »

Title screen:

Kicking a zombie in the head:

Turning gore up to 4, gibs up to 3:

Standing amid the carnage (and holding a zombie carcass aloft as a sign of victory):

It's an old-school beat-em-up game with a brutal heavy metal theme, with the blood and gore turned up to 11. It has a very tongue in cheek approach to violence and swearing.

there will be violence, swearing, nudity, drug use and probably a whole lot of other stuff, but I'm definitely not going to the extremes that Beserker* is going to, because I'm aiming to make a simple, fun game rather than a subject of controversy, and because of this, there are options to toggle anything potentially offensive individually. Like excessive gore but don't like the F-word? turn it off! This way people that don't like being offended can still have fun with my game, and it allows me to put anything I want in my game without cutting off potential audiences.

*Not that there's anything wrong with Beserker! I'm looking foward to playing it.

Anyway, you move from one area to the next, beating up enemies (only zombies shown, but will get more types later) and doing special moves and getting gigantic combos and stuff. One neat thing I took from River City Ransom is that you can pick up stuff as weapons, but all I have so far is dead zombies (you can pick them up and throw them at other zombies).

sorry there's no demo yet, but there will be once I get some more stuff to do in the game.

All art is placeholder, especially the background.

so yeah, old-school style beat-em-up with a metal theme. any comments? ideas?

MightyNinja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:00:36 AM »

I love the opening title screen in the mini thingy i've got of this.  It's awesome Tongue
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:06:14 AM »

Hey!
What are your plans in terms of emotional content? What goals (short, mid and long) do you have planned? About mastership issues? What is the player gonna learn or how many game mechanisms you gonna have? If you're going for a Heavy metal theme with sounds, how much are you gonna emphasis on that? And what about graphics since these are place holders? The player will be able to alter the attacks (ie weapons) but will he be able to change anyting else about his avatar? What types of challenges you got planned throughout the levels?

I think the general idea is going in the right direction. When do you think you'll have a demo ready?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:17:02 AM by Guert » Logged

Movius
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:12:54 AM »

...right here, it specifies 18 inches.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:49:50 AM »

Hey!
What are your plans in terms of emotional content? What goals (short, mid and long) do you have planned? About mastership issues? What is the player gonna learn or how many game mechanisms you gonna have? If you're going for a Heavy metal theme with sounds, how much are you gonna emphasis on that? And what about graphics since these are place holders? The player will be able to alter the attacks (ie weapons) but will he be able to change anyting else about his avatar? What types of challenges you got planned throughout the levels?

I think the general idea is going in the right direction. When do you think you'll have a demo ready?
More importantly what will be the game answer to the existentialist paradox relating to gregor samsa in Franz kafka's book The Metamorphosis and relating to Meursault in Albert camus's book The outsider?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:54:42 AM »

More importantly what will be the game answer to the existentialist paradox relating to gregor samsa in Franz kafka's book The Metamorphosis and relating to Meursault in Albert camus's book The outsider?

The game already answers that question: "BASH ZOMBIES! YEAH!!!"

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »

Hey!

emotional content: I'm considering not just having 'ordinary' game characters who are unfazed by anything, and attempting to write deeper characters who have little moments where they write about the horrors they've witnessed.
If that fails, then I'll just make it a team of emotionless badasses. :D
short term goal: Kill zombies on screen
Mid term goal: Move to next area, kill boss
Long term goal: stop the zombie-making place
game mechanics: there are the arrow keys and three buttons, jump, attack and grab. each is fairly context sensitive, so if you tab jump two frames before landing, you'll just jump when you hit the ground. if you tap attack while in the air you'll kick while falling. if you press grab next to a body you'll pick it up, but press it next to a zombie and you'll grapple him. there will be one or two special moves by doing something like double-tapping up and then pressing attack (when a special bar is full), but nothing too difficult. I want it to be easy for people who haven't played it before to pick it up quickly, like in Super Smash Bros.
Sounds: I'm almost stuck for sounds at the moment  Roll Eyes I'll have to work something out. I'll learn to play a few simple guitar riffs, or a little solo, or get a family member to do one, or something. I'm not sure. I'll figure something out.
graphics: Most of the graphics will be normal 'town' type graphics, the heavy metal theme will mostly come in in places like when you do a special move, for example one could be 'a guitar descends from the heavens and your avatar plays it and lightning strikes down the enemies' or something. I'm still coming up with ideas for that.
character: There will be more than one character, I'm thinking three at the moment.  otherwise, there won't be any character customisation. too much hassle Tongue
challenges: There will be little things like zombies popping out of manholes, or coming out of alleyways, or dropping down from the sky, perhaps 'agents' coming down from helicopters, just stuff like that. I'll have lots of bosses and minibosses. it's all pretty much standard beat-em-up fare.

sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'mastership issues'  Embarrassed

demo should be within the next couple of weeks, or at least once I get it up to a point where the zombies actually attack you back  Undecided

thanks for making me take a deeper look into my project, Guert  Grin

haha, wondered if anyone would get that :D

BASH ZOMBIES! YEAH!!!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »

emotional content: I'm considering not just having 'ordinary' game characters who are unfazed by anything, and attempting to write deeper characters who have little moments where they write about the horrors they've witnessed.
If that fails, then I'll just make it a team of emotionless badasses. :D

I'm refering here to the emotions of the player... What will be his role throughout the game? How do you wnat to makes us feel when playing? How will the player will be involved in the virtual world?

short term goal: Kill zombies on screen
Mid term goal: Move to next area, kill boss
Long term goal: stop the zombie-making place

How about adding more mid and long term goals? Like being able to turn back zombies into human by using certain songs or the giving the ability to summon godly or evil deities after killing a certain amount of zombies wich would give you access to special god stages where you would perform for the immortals until they recognize you as one of their own? Save your fellow musicians from death from special conditions (like choking on someone else's vomit (yeah, I saw it too Tongue) )? Like, you have friends scattered aorund a map and you must try to save them all and form the nastiest metal band ever... Just some random thoughts...

challenges: There will be little things like zombies popping out of manholes, or coming out of alleyways, or dropping down from the sky, perhaps 'agents' coming down from helicopters, just stuff like that. I'll have lots of bosses and minibosses. it's all pretty much standard beat-em-up fare.

By challenges, I mean what the player will do. You'll focus on reflexes (shooting up, down, etc), no doubt, but will you have jumping challenges (like jumping from plateform to plateform), puzzles, epxloration elements, reloads... All the things that the player will have to overcome... Hope this is clear enough, if not I'll re-phrase my explanation.

Mastership is what the player will learn thoughout play. How will we be able to tell a noob from a pro? What depth will you give to the game so that player will learn how to play your game?

Yeah, I'll be watching you like a hawk Tongue Seriously, since I grinded DDDEVASTATIONNN, I want to see what you're gonna do next Smiley

Later!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:52:09 PM by Guert » Logged

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 12:55:28 AM »

emotional content: blabla
I'm refering here to the emotions of the player... What will be his role throughout the game? How do you wnat to makes us feel when playing? How will the player will be involved in the virtual world?
Ah, right. In that case, I want the player to be angry!  Angry  you know the feeling where you are stressed out and ready to attack the next person to ask you how your day was? I want this to be the type of game that can relieve that stress, give you something to kill and something to laugh at.

goals: bla bla bla
How about adding more mid and long term goals? [...] Like, you have friends scattered aorund a map and you must try to save them all and form the nastiest metal band ever... Just some random thoughts...
Whoooa, great idea! :D that's a great excuse for unlockable characters and open-ended level selection.
And I am planning 'special' moves, which will be overly-dramatic, drawn out sequences upon which the metal gods shine down and bestow ultimate power unto your character.

challenges: blahblahblah

By challenges, I mean what the player will do. You'll focus on reflexes (shooting up, down, etc), no doubt, but will you have jumping challenges (like jumping from plateform to plateform), puzzles, epxloration elements, reloads... All the things that the player will have to overcome... Hope this is clear enough, if not I'll re-phrase my explanation.
Ah. in that case, challenges like finding weapons (pipes, bats, chainsaws, dead zombies, etc.) and using them appropriately. There probably won't be any platforming because it's not really that type of game. there will probably be some pits to avoid, or maybe just damaging terrain, though.
Any puzzles will come in the form of 'how am I gonna beat this guy?!'. this is not a thinking man's game  :D it's just good, old-fashioned simple fun. don't want the player getting frustrated when they're trying to take out their anger.
I'll probably make it a fairly easy game, too.

Mastership is what the player will learn thoughout play. How will we be able to tell a noob from a pro? What depth will you give to the game so that player will learn how to play your game?
Pretty much just combat skills, really - what move is appropriate in which situation, survival skills and the like. a noob will resort to random attacks or button mashing, while a pro will evaluate the enemy and the surroundings and find an efficient way of killing it. a real master will try and find a way to abuse the combo system to achieve a high score :D

but simply put, the game will not be hard to learn how to play. there's a general 'attack' button, which will do an attack depending on the situation, a jump, and a pick up/grab/throw button. I've tried to take a page out of Smash Bros. book, and design the game so that it's easy to play and tough to master.

Yeah, I'll be watching you like a hawk Tongue Seriously, since I grinded DDDEVASTATIONNN, I want to see what you're gonna do next Smiley

Later!
[/quote]
well, thanks again  Grin it's much appreciated.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »

Here's a short gameplay video!

as you can see, there's not too much to the game yet, because I'm working on polishing what I have to a shine before continuing adding stuff, because if I don't fix the way stuff works now, it'll be hell to change later!

this shows blood and gore on about 3 out of a potentially infinite number.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »

While the blood effects are pretty cool, I imagine it'd get annoying not being able to see the action through all that red mist.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »

don't worry-- it's easily adjustable. you can turn it right down, or even off.

also the gibs are different to blood, you can have gibs on full and blood off, or vice versa.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:43:54 PM by Radnom » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »

Perhaps you could use some transparency effects on the blood. Also, this game screams for a rage mode... And some gorish finishing move involving playing air guitar with limbs! Smiley

Anyways, post a demo as soon as you can, this looks like my type of game Smiley

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »

Anyways, post a demo as soon as you can, this looks like my type of game Smiley

Seconded.  This game looks hella badass.

tweet tweet @j_younger
spellcaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »

Just make sure I can point the game to my Manowar mp3s Smiley
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »

I love the spinal tap reference Tongue
You need a special where he sets his amp to eleven and everything explodes.

I really can't wait to play this, its really impressive looking.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »

I also think that being able to load our custom songs would be the best approach with this game. Perhaps even see if you can spawn zombies using the song or something like that...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic