Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:33:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTobe's Marketing (XBLIG)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tobe's Marketing (XBLIG)  (Read 2778 times)
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »

So some of you might have known about our game, Tobe's Vertical Adventure on the XBLIG.
If you have not, here's the link to our website
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/

I actually spent quite a bit of time and money to get attention for the game, so I really want to hear what you guys think about the effort so far. The game has only been released for 7 days, so perhaps if there's something I am not doing right, I should do so now. Anyway, here goes...

A little background of myself and the game...
I was previously running a small design studio with a couple of partners, but I quit my share in mid 2008 and went on to develop indie games. I was the Art Director, and have worked on multimedia stuff like website, and advertising games.

I learn game design from scratch, and have zero programming knowledge till today. I hires freelance programmers, and Tobe's Vertical Adventure is my 2nd game.

About the game...
Though I know XBLIG user base is impossible to support the sales, but I was hoping to get enough attention with a solid title, and hopefully get some reputation for future games. To me, this is the main reason, and less of the sales.

I choose to make a platformer because it's easier on the programmers, and I can focus more on the artwork, game and level design. I believe we have an interesting title now, though the final product also has problem with crashing, bugs, and most importantly, the lack of thumbstick support.

I quickly announce that a patch will be released with thumbstick and minor bug fix, but it's hard to do everything because the programmers have move on to serve his national service and is only available on weekend. On top of that, I have to pay him for the work, when the sales barely cover anything.

The website...
I added some elements in the game that I thought were interesting, like having unlockables password that allows you to download soundtrack and gallery from the website. I also update the site at least once a week with interesting retro findings, random artwork, downloads, etc. I wanted people to visit the website, and have some interaction with them.

The reaction wasn't too good right from the start. We had about 60 unique viewers, and it soon drop to nothing. Then the game got release, and we have an average of 50 viewers a day. I haven't send our game for review on Tigsource or Indiegames as our game doesn't support thumbstick at the moment. I thought I'd send it when the controls are fixed, but I am not sure if it will make significant different at the moment.

The reaction so far...
Though many has complained the lack of thumbstick support, crash, and minor gameplay issue, most of them notice the effort, and felt it's a shame that the game had these issue. Some did not encounter such issue at all, and were very used to the dpad. They enjoyed the game and actually played for hours the first time.

Still, the game only got a 3 star rating, which is pretty average on XBLIG, and plus the fact there is so much massage games in the competition, its kind of disappointing. I wonder if the reaction would have been better if not for the lack of thumbstick though.

The future plans...
So we're gonna release patch to include a thumbstick support soon, and a bit more probably in February. Hopefully making another playable character by then to keep the interest alive.

On top of that, I was hoping to create some simple freebies for fans and reviewers. I've already printed some pins, and designed an instruction booklet which will be available for download soon. I'm also thinking of spending some money to print some hard copies, and send it to reviewers, friends, etc.

What do you think?
Does the website interest you to return in a few more days? Do you think all the money spent on the marketing is a waste? Is there anything you like about it?

Whatever the comments, I like to hear it, and hopefully increase the interest even by a little  Shocked

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »

On XBLIG you only make a first impression once, and sadly by the time you get a patch out you'll be even less new and less downloaded.

TIGsource and Indiegames are great sites, but in terms of getting downloads, I'm not sure it'll help. A lot of the Indiegames and TIG communities don't have XBoxes, and even when they do the download process from the web is cumbersome. I'm not saying you won't get people, but the proportion of people versus those you got when you first released are widely different. I look forward to seeing the game with proper thumbstick support, but it would have been better if you had decided to hold off releasing when you got all that feedback in playtest/review that warned you about it in the first place :/

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »

My advise is to put out a PC version. I'd love to play it on PC.
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »

Stegersaurus : I agree with that. A patch can only savage so much, but it's the least we can do for now.

We have our reason to force the release. It's a bad choice, but the team was breaking apart by then, as the game was supposed to have completed by 2-3 months ago. The programmers were in the National Service, and spending their precious weekend at home working on the project, and I felt bad about it too.

Knight : There's been quite a few requests about bringing the game to PC too. While I love to do that, I'm completely clueless at the moment. Like I said, I'm an artist + game designer, but know nuts about programming, hence nothing about port too.

As and XNA game, we get to build and play the game on PC, which I figured it can actually be all the porting I need. But the player need to install a whole lot of software, so I'm kinda confuse. It will be great if anyone can show me the path a little  Blink

glitchpixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »

Hey Rayteo,
 We just wanted to how throughly impressed with Tobe's Adventure
we are and have shown it to everyone in the office. We bought it
the first day one on XBLIG and have not put it down.

If you do a PC port you can put us down for another purchase, especially
if you make a special edition with a physical "Nemesis" box and manual!

Good Work d^_^b

P.S. we would rather play with dpad's ^_^
P.S.S we printed out own cover art and placed it in a Sonic 1 box, epic!

john@glitchpixel
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »

Would highly recommend a PC port. I bought it on XBIG, think it's a lovely product but since XNA gives you a fully playable PC version for free all you need to do is stick it on some download payment service and you've got a huge audience opened up to you.

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:03:02 PM »

P.S.S we printed out own cover art and placed it in a Sonic 1 box, epic!
Wao, you guys actually did that? Now I hate myself for selling all my games back then...Do you think you can grab me a photo of it? I'd certainly explodes in tears of joy Tears of Joy

And yes, I'm tempted to print a 100 copies of the manual just for kicks, and yet it's so god damn expensive, lol.

Would highly recommend a PC port. I bought it on XBIG, think it's a lovely product but since XNA gives you a fully playable PC version for free all you need to do is stick it on some download payment service and you've got a huge audience opened up to you.
Well, our current PC version isn't exactly stable for some reason. It lags the system quite a bit, and the programmer has no clue why it happens. Now I hate myself for not being a programmer too. Damn, this world is wrong.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »

Well, our current PC version isn't exactly stable for some reason. It lags the system quite a bit, and the programmer has no clue why it happens. Now I hate myself for not being a programmer too. Damn, this world is wrong.

What's happening is that your memory management is way out of whack and your GarbageCollector is overloaded. The Xbox 360 implementation of XNA manages memory much better than the PC. Unfortunately if the problem is on the PC, the same issues are on the 360 version, but it takes longer to reach them, if ever.

Edit:
I.E. Stop calling "New" all over the place and implement object pooling so you don't create new objects and make the garbagecollector sort it out but reuse old useless objects.

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:03:06 AM »

What's happening is that your memory management is way out of whack and your GarbageCollector is overloaded. The Xbox 360 implementation of XNA manages memory much better than the PC.

uhh... I'm pretty sure you've got it backwards. Garbage collection on PC for C# has been around for a while and has been optimized to death. The PC uses a generational garbage collector which doesn't cycle through all of the program's active memory on a garbage collection, and instead uses a heuristic to decide which objects are the most likely to need cleaning up (based on their time already alive). The XBox on the other hand uses non-generational garbage collection, meaning that if a garbage collection does happen it goes through all of the program's memory to find things to clean up. As such pooling has more purpose on XBox than PC versions, since a GC on the XBox can often cause visible hiccups. I'd assume if a PC version is running slower, it has more to do with some system bottleneck. PC versions often need more testing simply because the XBox is a fixed piece of hardware, while on PC you want to be able to support lower end systems.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic