Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 02:06:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Helix Devlog
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Helix Devlog  (Read 2417 times)
gradgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »

I'm here to start giving the TIG forums a go at generating discussion/dialogue about our game, Project Helix currently in development.

Here's a picture to start the thread, but there's ton more stuff on our actual devlog here

in case you missed it: blog.graduategames.com

I would call Project: Helix  a 2D shooter adventure platforming game – think Contra + Super Metroid + Castlevania + Halo.  I realized that may sound confusing, so I thought I would take a few moments to layout how it shares characteristics with all of the games above (and Mass Effect):

Super Metroid – this SNES platformer is considered one of the best games ever…and I tend to agree.  Our game borrows heavily from the core gameplay in Metroid.  You will start out the game with limited weapons and upgrades and as you explore you will find new upgrades (or money and loot to purchase such upgrades) which will open up new areas to explore.
Contra – Unlike Metroid, weaponry + ammunition will be a much bigger factor.  It’s never going to get as arcadey and frantic as contra, but shooting will be a larger factor.

Halo – What’s great about Halo and other PC FPS games?  The control scheme of course.  Unlike Metroid or Contra, our game will be controlled by a mouse and keyboard.  That means more precise aiming, but like Halo you’ll only be able to hold 2 weapons at a time.  Oh it’s also sort of like Halo because of the whole scifi setting thing.

Castlevania – like all the Castlevanias since Symphony of the Night there will be large worlds to explore in any manner you see fit and some RPG elements.  Loot and money will be able to be used at shops to purchase ammunition, weapons, upgrades, etc.  We may get around to some other lite RPG elements as well.

Mass Effect – gameplay wise- we’ll be nothing like it, but Mass Effect was very successful in creating and weaving an interesting overall story and scifi world.  We hope that as our game expands, our universe will expand and have similar depth (Zak and I started writing and conceptualizing the game 4+ years ago).

Hopefully that starts things off.  Obviously, there’s tons of other scifi games and movies that we have loved and draw inspiration from, but that's a good start to the thread.  More to come, including a free prototype/alpha in the coming months.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:41:53 AM »

I have to say that calling your game "Project: Helix" is a bad idea. It's a terribly uninspiring name. Please consider changing it! "Project:" anything is not good. Just ask Benzido.

Art-wise, if that's final player graphics then you will need to redo the terrain art as it is completely different from the player art. Otherwise, consider adding texture and detail to the player art. The space backdrop is odd. Why are there wooden crates in space? I guess it's all placeholder - fine.

Character looks a lot like Halo, which is ok as he is a pretty cool guy. Shoulders are too high - arms look attached to the upper right too far. Upper arms look rather thick. Is that a full screenshot? The character looks too big if so.

The project sounds ambitious - good luck!

gradgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:44 AM »

Thanks for your comments.  None of the art is final yet, but I'll forward on a lot of your comments onto the artist. 

The space backdrop is placeholder for the furthest backdrop.  There will be parallax layers in front of it.

The character is about 120px tall in the actual game - I don't have any full screens posted yet because there's a ton of junk text to aid debugging and because everything is still being put in.

I'm definitely interested in coming up with a fitting title. Any title ideas are welcome.

gradgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:49:34 AM »

Would love some help/discussion about game titles and naming our game:

See blog Post: http://www.graduategames.com/blog/help-name-our-game.html

gradgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »

Well, we're really trying to hunker down and finalize our game name.  Thank you to everyone who gave us ideas!  We've compiled them and have a poll up where you can vote for your favorite game name. 

Check it out and Vote to Name our Game

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic