Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:28:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTreasureline
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Treasureline  (Read 29822 times)
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »

@CiroContinisio: "post count"...?!? Eh, I don't get it. what? what?

It's a joke about this recent thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11220.0;topicseen

Scamper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »

Hey guys,
I got something for you.

As I'm working on the music for Silverline/Treasureline I'll show you an early track. It was created for Silverline, but since it's progress is unclear, this might be used in Treasureline.

So, here is the
Dungeon Theme - In The Caverns
http://drop.io/5dizsor9844
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »

This is actually insanely awesome to me.  its not often you see analog-style movement in 2d games - especially pixel games.  But when you do, it always looks really awesome.  I bet you could pixel this in such a way that the balls look less apparent that they are seperate.  Makes me really want to try :S

what are you making this in, man?  I'm super jealous.

-Dan

Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2010, 04:26:56 AM »

I bet you could pixel this in such a way that the balls look less apparent that they are seperate.

Treasureline is done in C... (it uses a custom made game construction kit, which is still in development)

You're referring to the dragon, aren't you? I think you cannot do much with these spheres - the problems are the head and wings. (which somehow do not match that style) Anyway, if you want to pimp it up, feel free to give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:52:08 AM by Lazycow » Logged

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2010, 04:44:38 AM »

You could have the outline as a separate sprite, then draw the outlines first (underneath) and the insides afterwards.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2010, 04:56:53 AM »

Bit much maybe for the low-fi quick route you want to take, which I like btw. I think it looks fine as-is.

Did some fiddling and the described effect works better if you keep certain bits on the top layer:

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:28 AM »

Wow, not bad! Ok, you proofed me wrong, the spheres can be improved.  Wink

But it seems even harder to me to create head and wings that can compete with that style. (at least without 3D software) Initially, I wanted to avoid that. Undecided

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 08:52:35 AM »

haha this looks like it could be great! networked games are awesome, it's something besides Super Cock Blockers i can enjoy with friends at LAN parties and such
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 02:10:55 AM »

Wow, not bad! Ok, you proofed me wrong, the spheres can be improved.  Wink

But it seems even harder to me to create head and wings that can compete with that style. (at least without 3D software) Initially, I wanted to avoid that. Undecided
Yeah, it might prove difficult, and also end up not matching with the rest of your art, etc. I say it looks fine as it is Smiley

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »

So I combined the ideas of what I was thinking and what alex suggested and made a quick edit.

I only did one ball because I didn't have too much time, but as you can see, it can look pretty dang awesome fully textured.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »

Wow, this is rather awesome on all fronts, so far! Very impressive use of sprite layering, and very informative how you guys pulled that off.

Design suggestions, particuarly regarding "keyholders": rather than to have abstract keys and locks (which BTW, has been done to death, and wouldn't be any fun for that player, really), you could make different weapons or items open passages instead (puzzlesolving!), and yet still be integral to the overall gameplay.

You can also give certain creatures and enemies immunities (or a healing effect from certain "weapons"), so players with that particular kind of thing would have to play it more defensively or cautiously. You could also give players healing/immunity effects too, so they can adapt to otherwise-treacherous terrain and obstacles.

You could also consider spawning a few disposable or collectable things in rooms as well, so it's not like they're sitting around turtling and waiting for a clear path. So while some characters are "locked in combat," others can collect power-ups to support them. Variable offense/defense teamups would make for interesting gameplay, but may be tricky to execute in melee-based gameplay (unless that IS "the defense").

Finally, divided rooms/passageways, where the players must split up, cover a couple of bases together, and meet back up on the other side.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 05:29:10 AM »

So I combined the ideas of what I was thinking and what alex suggested and made a quick edit.

I only did one ball because I didn't have too much time, but as you can see, it can look pretty dang awesome fully textured.
The problem with fully textured elements is when the thing is moving - as they go 'north' of other elements they will pop behind them and that'll be more visible the more busy the texture is. With the flat shaded bits, the outline idea deals with the popping as you don't see the edge of the element going behind the elements around it.

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 06:36:53 AM »

The combine idea rock my world so hard, my head explode.

Then again, it'd probably kill the artist working on this trying to match the rest of the game to that level of detail.

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »

@CiroContinisio: I miss that counter!

@DanFessler: Yeah, nice pixels! A differnt color for the underside is a nice idea. Hand Thumbs Up Right  But again... just bodyparts! I wonder if I should replace that dragon by a worm, then the problems will be gone. Or just constructing head and wings out of segments. Oh, I should try. Also, some test-fights indicated that it is impossible to kill such a big moving dragon with a small 16-pixel sword. Probably, a baby dragon has to do the job here...

@baconman: Hiding one single key in a multi-user game is challenging, one point for you. But I like the idea of a red key for a red door of a red castle with red dragon. And then there is a blue key for a blue door of a ... (make an educated guess) That is so simplistic. At least it is a start. Can be changed later.

@rayteoactive: What? What? Who is trying to adjust graphics if you kill artists, eh?

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

I am posting here just to keep an eye on this.

Very, very cool stuff.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
increpare
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »

Cute dragon  Smiley
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »

I still don't like that flying animation, so back to the drawing board. Here's a walking test... Yes, the legs are missing. But most of you seem to be fans of the minimalistic solutions, I bet someone wants to see a legless dragon. Anyone?  Wink

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »

Glad you're still working on it!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »

Please no, the dragon is truly awesome!!  Kiss
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »

Haha, very cute ^_^  I can't wait to see the fully textured version of the dragon as well.  Just from looking at Dan's mockup I can tell it's going to be awesome.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic