Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:36:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTreasureline
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Treasureline  (Read 29700 times)
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »

Wow, that's some incredible animation work. It makes me weep bitter tears for my puny efforts...

I'm keeping my eye on this!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Well, hello there!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

"Oh look, his first steps..." Of course, this type of animation has never been done before with the construction kit, and I had to redesign the animation handling and fix the usual bugs, etc.

It seems to have some troubles when changing the walking direction, doesn't it? Also, maybe I should use legs build of 2 parts? Meh, I don't know.

@supershigi: I think there won't be a DanFessler-textured dragon, simply because my pixel skills are not good enough, but maybe there will be an AlexMay-shaded dragon   Grin

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »

I think the problem is that he changes direction when his weight is on the wrong foot. If you think about humans walking, we tend to pivot on the leg that is on the inside of the curve.

I find the slightly-wobbly walk cycle you have no adorable, however. I could see some giant baby waddling around like that.   Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Zulli
Level 0

Maybe I´ll dev today

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »

Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us? D:

:D
LazyWaffle
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »

Good to see an update Smiley

Can't wait, this looks amazing.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »

i wanna see the whole dragon

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »

A new walking test with legs, neck and tail. If you observe the animation closely, you may spot some overlapping spheres from time to time. I tried to fix them with a rubberbanding algorithm, but it's not gone entirely. (seems like I have to tweak the parameters a bit more)

But you can already see where this is going to.

@Destral: Hmm... I think you're right. Fortunately, this is not really visible in this 4-leg walking test. Maybe the 2 additional legs do some magic. It even doesn't look that baby-like anymore, does it?

@Landshark: Guess so... stand by, head and wings coming soon.

@Zulli: Yes, I am really programming this. However... No, just kidding.   (Ok, you made my day)

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »

To me it feels like his front and back legs are too close together. I'd expect a lumbering dragon to have a longer body. Looks good in the main though.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »

Looks good, but I liked the flying one anyway Smiley

Like oddball says, maybe try having two of the two-legged body bits?

AaronG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »

I swear I can hear stomping when I watch the latest dragon animation test. Epileptic Very nicely done.
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »

Yes, I forgot to set the animation delay here. But somehow, I had the feeling that you want to see this anyway.  Roll Eyes  In the 2nd animation you see a test with the new feet. Is the distance between the feet large enough now? (It does not look very appealing when I use a body with two big segments. I could make the body bigger, though. But our hero that has to fight him is only 16x16 pixels...)

Ah, yes... You get a change to see the new head of the dragon! Will it be finished soon, or is this going to be a dragon simulator? Well, we are almost there: Head and feed have to be drawn in all 8 directions (oh oh) and then I have to add some wings. (sic)

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2010, 05:46:04 AM »

Didn't read the whole seven pages of discussion but I'd prefer a two legged dragon which walks a little upright personally. The technique is amazing anyway!

Edit: BTW: How do you make those amazing gifs?
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2010, 05:59:16 AM »

"don't run into sleeping dragons"... Updates: The dragon flashes when hit. The hero loses his inventory when killed.

Some Questions: Let's remember, this will be a multi-user game, so what should happen when a player gets killed? Halve his XP, drop all items and respawn at the start point? (At least, that's my plan right now) Also, what should happen with killed boss-monsters? (i.e. the dragon) Somehow, after its death, the dragon has to be there again for the next adventure-hungry party of heroes. So maybe the corpse gets a countdown... And when it reaches zero, the dragon wakes up again?

@RotateMe: Well, for this 1st milestone, I will stick with that 4-legged dragon. But finally, there could be more dragons, and each of them should be slightly different. PS: The game engine itself can save the gameplay as gif. (nice trick, eh?)

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2010, 07:48:59 AM »

I love how the dude dies and his stuff flies around! Get rid of the black outlines of the dust though! Looking very much forward to seeing more of this! Keep it simple and release soon (... is good advice I never follow myself).
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »

oh wow Lazycow, this does look really good  Kiss
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »

Excellent! Awesome art style and brilliant idea!
Want to play it now!
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »

Keep up the good work!
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »

Tubular. Follow'ng.
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »

I'm kind of disappointed that you got rid of the awesome fluid flying-style control.  Ah well

Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »

Thanks for the motivating comments!! What about a double-update?  Well, hello there!

The dragon got his revamped head and legs (in 8 directions). Also, I could track down the rubberbanding-problems. (Seems like the height of objects from the ground have to be ignored when calculating drawing-priorities)

In the 2nd cameo, you can see the sword-attack. The sword-hit transfers moving power to the victim. And it seems like you can push things around. This does not work anymore when I make the dragon heavier. (which should obviously be the case)

@RotateMe: Ok, I have reworked that dust. (You might see it again, soon) A gameplay demo should be possible this month, but only if I cut some things (wings) for the first demo...

@DanFessler: What do you mean? The 360 degree moving? I have intentionally disabled this, because the player can only move in 4 directions. There's probably no technical reason. So what about the new 8-way-walking of the dragon?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic