Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:14:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Future of Indie Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Future of Indie Games  (Read 5204 times)
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »

“I would say that independent games is one cheek, while [mainstream] is the other,” said Yu. “We need to have the games industry put on the right pants…we’re starting to notice that other cheek and how hard it is to walk without that other cheek."

(From here)

DISCUSS.

Last release: sync::routine
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »

DISCUSS? Yu is my hero. That's what.  Kiss
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:45:07 PM »

That's a fun analogy following up Costik's "indie as a pimple on the ass of the industry" comment.  I kinda wish there was more to tell about the talk.  Up until now I've been looking on GDC for indie's as a complete contradiction to the lifestyle of indie, given the costs.  But if there's some point that needs to be made, then I'm all for it.  Is there a point we need to make though, or is this just the promotion machine we need to justify ourselves to the industry?

I suppose, I'm of the opinion of that we've already won that battle.  Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have all pledged support for Indies.  It's up to Indies now to create situations to be able to work at their level.  Or is that the problem?  Indies don't know what the heck they have to do to get involved?

I'm also glad to see Derek's involved in the talk, as he's due for some recognition after taking over TIGSource, for I'm OK, and now Aquaria.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:36:20 PM »

Anyone know what's going on in the GDC Radio store?  Is that $8 for everything?

http://store.cmpgame.com/category.php?cat=59&skin=gdcradio

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
JohnB
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 07:16:54 PM »

I think the battle for the future will be in keeping the indie scene truly independent. Part of the charm of non-commercial games is that they're a labor of love and created to add something different to the mix, not to make tens of thousands of dollars. But in order for indies to survive, they have to get a little business savvy, which edges them closer and closer to the dark side.

I'm a writer. I write words for games. Example: Bitcoin Billionaire, Freaking Meatbags.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:27:49 PM »

I think the battle for the future will be in keeping the indie scene truly independent. Part of the charm of non-commercial games is that they're a labor of love and created to add something different to the mix, not to make tens of thousands of dollars. But in order for indies to survive, they have to get a little business savvy, which edges them closer and closer to the dark side.

Ya that's a tough one. I don't think the passion is lessened or otherwise compromised once you decide to try and earn money for your creation. However, it all starts to get fuzzy when you start making design decisions solely with the notion of, 'Will this sell?' rather than, 'Will this make my game great?'

I think that's the breaking point where an indie games risks losing its charm.

Gargantua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »

I don't think there's a battle for anything here; people that are going to abuse the idea of indie for commercial gain, have already decided to do so and will always decide to do so. The problem comes with the need for people to make games that are actually different, the mainstream suffers from a serious lack of vision. It is host to what I think is really the greatest medium in existance, and most developers can't surpass poems that were written 2k years ago. I exaggerate because most games(mainstream) seem to want to be the next thing in epic poetry/writing, yet they can't get their heads out of their asses about the need for violence.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »

so who's the asshole?

JackZorbetta
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »

(OK if I try this again without any links?)

I’m a newbie to this forum, and I’d like to see if I can toss my 2 cents in as someone who makes games for a living… hopefully without alienating or offending anyone.

Some people act like it’s the INDY’s responsibility to come up with something new.
Not Fair. The beauty of doing a game as an Indy is that you can follow your heart, and not worry about other folk’s expectations, whatever they may be. Lots of people talk about doing something original, but it’s a heck of a lot easer to say it than to do it.

Some folks believe that you can’t be original unless you’re an INDY.
Simply not true. I’ve been doing games for 25 years, the vast majority of which were for clients, manufacturers & publishers… and I still managed to come up with original games like Rampage, Xenophobe, Arch Rivals, Pigskin, General Chaos, and, (our first as an Indy), XXXXXX XXXX XXXXX XXX.

And oddly enough, even when you do something that’s never been done before, there are lots of people who want to jump up and point out how “obvious” it was.

Finally, a request…
Being passionate about the industry is great, but I like to think that most people read Forums hoping for informed opinions as well as passion. Too often reviewers fall into the trap of reviewing the reviews, that is; jumping on an advertising tag-line or 30-second-trailer to form the basis for all of their praise &/or criticism.

I know everyone’s busy, but on behalf of all those out there who pour their life’s blood into their work, please take the time to sit down, play, and understand a game before you write about it.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »

(OK if I try this again without any links?)

I’m a newbie to this forum, and I’d like to see if I can toss my 2 cents in as someone who makes games for a living… hopefully without alienating or offending anyone.

Some people act like it’s the INDY’s responsibility to come up with something new.
Not Fair. The beauty of doing a game as an Indy is that you can follow your heart, and not worry about other folk’s expectations, whatever they may be. Lots of people talk about doing something original, but it’s a heck of a lot easer to say it than to do it.

Some folks believe that you can’t be original unless you’re an INDY.
Simply not true. I’ve been doing games for 25 years, the vast majority of which were for clients, manufacturers & publishers… and I still managed to come up with original games like Rampage, Xenophobe, Arch Rivals, Pigskin, General Chaos, and, (our first as an Indy), XXXXXX XXXX XXXXX XXX.

And oddly enough, even when you do something that’s never been done before, there are lots of people who want to jump up and point out how “obvious” it was.

Finally, a request…
Being passionate about the industry is great, but I like to think that most people read Forums hoping for informed opinions as well as passion. Too often reviewers fall into the trap of reviewing the reviews, that is; jumping on an advertising tag-line or 30-second-trailer to form the basis for all of their praise &/or criticism.

I know everyone’s busy, but on behalf of all those out there who pour their life’s blood into their work, please take the time to sit down, play, and understand a game before you write about it.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it? A whole post without an advert. Well done. Smiley

Do we have a pat-on-the-back smiley I can use? Wink

And I agree that you don't have to be original at all, and that you should make the game you want to make and screw what anyone else wants. Trying to make a game which ticks everyone's boxes is the way that madness and shitty products lie.

As for uninformed speculation on forums, that's something you'll never stamp out. As long as there is a veil of anonimity afforded by the internet, there'll be people discoursing on things they don't understand. You just gotta' live with it and hope the places you hang out don't suffer from it. We're trying to make this that kinda' place, too, and as bad as ill-informed opinions are, biased blurb which seeks only to bolster sales is just as bad, which is why we will continue to jump all over any flagrent advertising which occurs on this board, be it by you or another.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic