Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:19:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMy game idea: Indie Developer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My game idea: Indie Developer  (Read 4564 times)
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 06:08:33 AM »

Hi guys,

(Download is available in a post further down this page)

I was a frequent reader, but at some point I just couldn't find the time to play around with game development. I think some of it was because I got discouraged by never making anything that was playable.
   Recently however, I started again. But I wanted to change my approach. I read the other thread called "What's your biggest obstacle" and I could relate to alot of the problems other people had. 1) Perfectionism, 2) Laziness, 3) Lack of time, 4) Grand ambitions, 5) Lack of skill etc.
But this time, I'll make it different. I'll force myself to make games that's so simple even I can make them. So I had to figure out what game I could make. What would be the simplest game mechanic I could come up with? Games where you only have to press 1 button, and do it repeatedly. A game where all graphics is static, and where I wouldn't care that my lousy programmer art would look like it's been drawn by a retarded monkey.

Then it came to me! Why not make a game about making games? Why not make a game where you are an indie developer who has to fight all sorts of distractions, to make a game.

I haven't thought everything through, so feedback and ideas are very welcome. But this is currently how I thought it would work:

Goal: The goal is to make a game as polished, earn as much cash as possible, all while gaining a a great indie reputation. All this has to be done before the deadline runs out.
How do I make the game? You press the space bar repeatedly. Hand Any Key This increases the code size by a random amount. (0 - 20) However, this will also add to the amount of BUGS in your code. So at some point, your have to stop adding code and start fixing bugs. You do this by pressing another key repeatedly. Hand Any Key
At the same time, you also have to manage your Indie Reputation, by being active in the indie community. You do this by pressing another key repeatedly. Hand Any Key This adds to your reputation, which otherwise drops as time goes by.
The last thing that determines the succes of your game, is the amount of marketing you have done. (Also done by just pressing a button again and again Hand Any Key) However, the marketing has a slight effect on your indie reputation.

The idea is not to press all buttons at the same time, but to prioritize between them. So you can only do one thing at the same time. You have to choose to either 1) code, 2) debug, 3) hang around the indie communities on the web or 4) do some marketing (Write some emails etc)

At the end, when the deadline has passed, your "game" is evaluated by a secret formula, which I haven't figured out yet. But it would depend on the 1) code size (How big or advanced is the game), 2) How many bugs are there left in it (How polished is it), 3) Your marketing efforts and 4) your indie reputation.

The result of the calculation would be: How much cash did you earn, peoples oppinion of your game (A range of grades, from "Crap" to "Extremely professional") and the indie goodwill you got.

I started by talking about distractions, and none of what I have talked about could rightfully be called distractions. So what distractions are there supposed to be? I thought about making the boy's mother enter the room and start talking. And when she's there, the player has to answer her by pressing another button. It's not like the player has to answer yes or no, but just keep her in the illusion that her boy is listening by making him say "Mmm", "Yes mother", "Okay", "Yeah..", "Sure" etc. Eventually, she'll go away, and all efforts can again be devoted to making that game finished before the deadline! The idea is that you have to answer her, while still doing some other thing. So you'll answer her while coding, or while debugging, or while marketing etc.

This is the ideas I have right now. The game is meant to be frantic and evoke a feeling of stress. I'm not sure if you guys think it sounds funny, but nevertheless it's my goal to make it, as it should be simple to implement, and then I'll have SOMETHING that's playable, that I actually made. Beer!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:52:41 AM by Alquesm » Logged
Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »

earn as much cash as possible,
INDIE ERROR!

Pardon my poor english T_T
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:11:23 AM »

I know. That's why marketing your game (Which is needed to earn cash) would affect your indie reputation negatively. At least if you over-market it.

But I'm open for suggestions to how the mechanics should work otherwise. Smiley
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »

Your grade should go from crap, which gets you nothing
to extremely professional, which gets you all money and no cred
to extremely unprofessional, which gets you no money and all cred.
In that order.

Your goal should be to bewilder your audience as much as possible with metaphoric gameplay mechanics and pixel art that doesn't make any sense to anyone.
Actually it'd be funny if you showed all the title screens of the fictional games as they got finished. The first game you make is like "Jumping square!", then later on you make "David's Amazing Adventure", and even later, in the dark days, you make like "I AM THE SUN, YOU ARE A JET SKKKKKKI"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:22:36 PM by I_smell » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »

I know. That's why marketing your game (Which is needed to earn cash) would affect your indie reputation negatively. At least if you over-market it.

But I'm open for suggestions to how the mechanics should work otherwise. Smiley

that's not why it's bad. it's bad because it affects the quality of your game, not because it affects your reputation (although that matters too). so the mechanic would be, the more effort you put into marketing, the lower the quality of the game you're working on. like

for every 1 action spent on marketing
-5% to game quality
-2% to reputation

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »

The more effort you put in the game, the less indie hype you attract.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »

My game will be "Mirrors from the people at Edge" I will spend all my time with marketing, maybe hit the programming button 3 times max. No Indie or polish.
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:37:43 AM »

I really hope you finish this, it's such a good idea I really want to make it but can't. However, I was thinking it the final score could come from something lime this:

Amount of code = More gameplay points
Less bugs = More polish points
Level of art = More polish points
Marketing = More sales
Reputation = More sales and points

I haven't quite worked it out myself but you get the idea.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »

This sounds a lot like that textgame riff on Bob's Game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! Beer!

I_smell > The grades you mention are interesting. I agree that the professional game which gets you money should be mutually exclusive with the unprofessional game which gets you indie goodwill.

Paul Eres > I agree with your idea, but I'm not sure that I agree that marketing your game should directly affect your game quality negatively. I think it should just affect it indirectly, in the sense that if you choose to use your time to market your game, you also choose not to use your time on improving the game, which means your game quality will not be as good as it could have been. What do you think about that?

iPope > I agree. That's also roughly how I thought it should work. Smiley

I actually have a working demo now, I'll try to make it available later today, when I have made some more progress.
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »

Okay, I got a working demo. I would really love to hear what you guys think of it.

You can download it right here: http://www.ignissoftware.dk/wp-content/2010/01/IndieDeveloper.zip (348 kb, zipped)

The game is an XNA game, wrapped in a Microsoft installer package which checks for the necessary components, and automatically downloads them from Microsoft if they're not already installed.

I read that some have had trouble running XNA games, because of missing prerequisites, however I've tested the installer on a Windows XP, which had no XNA or developer tools whatsoever installed, and it correctly downloaded the necessary components, so I believe it works. Smiley

Note that XNA requires a graphics card with a shader version 1.1.

The game runs in 1280x720. Here is a list of the controls:
Space - Do some programming (Adds to game progress)
D - Do some debugging (Adds to game stability)
I - Hang out with some cool indies (Adds to indie goodwill)
M - Do some marketing (Adds to ... marketing)

Some of the actions have a negative effect on something else. Currently, the following are implemented:

Programming:
1. The more progress you've made with the game, the less are game stability affected.

Game stability:
1. The more progress you've made with the game, the harder it will be to debug.
2. The better stability, the harder it will be to debug.

Indie goodwill:
1. The more marketing you've made, the harder it will be to gain indie goodwill. If you've made a publishing deal, you cannot get any more goodwill.

Marketing:
1. The more progress you've made, the more marketing you will get.
2. Marketing has a negative impact on indie goodwill.
3. If you keep on marketing, you'll eventually get a publishing deal.

As soon as you launch the game, the game starts. You have 30 seconds to create your game. Currently, there's no end score though. I'm still not sure how to calculate a score, so any suggestions are very welcome. Also, if you have suggestions on what I could call the different grades of game progress, game stability, indie goodwill and marketing, please tell me. Smiley Currently, they're a bit boring with such titles as "A little", "Some", "Alot" etc.

I hope to hear from some of you. Smiley Thanks alot in advance for trying it!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »

The game was neat, but i really love that XNA downloader thing you included. I've never gotten any XNA games to work on my computer before. (Vista) Thanks!
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 01:27:34 AM »

I'm glad it worked without problems. Smiley

Thanks for trying it! Beer!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »

I think it was pretty neat as well! Can't wait to see scores implemented.
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 01:52:24 AM »

Cool, thanks Inanimate. Smiley

Actually it'd be funny if you showed all the title screens of the fictional games as they got finished. The first game you make is like "Jumping square!", then later on you make "David's Amazing Adventure", and even later, in the dark days, you make like "I AM THE SUN, YOU ARE A JET SKKKKKKI"
I actually think this is a cool idea. I was looking at The Video Game Name Generator, and they actually allow one to download their word list and use it to make a similiar tool. So I thought about using the word list and generate a name when the deadline is over. It should say something like: "Your game 'The Infernal Bazooka Maniac' was semi-complete and pretty buggy. You did alot of marketing, and you received none indie goodwill."

However, I think it needs some more spice. I think it could need some "crazyness". I'm not sure how though. What I mean is, the end result, when the deadline is over, I think it would be cool if I could somehow surprise the player. Adding a random name adds to some of it, but I think it needs more. A wild idea could be to actually hide the status of the different states, so you actually don't know how well your game is until it's finished. You also don't know how buggy it is or how well the indie community thinks of you. Hmm.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 01:55:44 AM by Alquesm » Logged
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 06:33:49 AM »

What I mean is, the end result, when the deadline is over, I think it would be cool if I could somehow surprise the player. Adding a random name adds to some of it, but I think it needs more. A wild idea could be to actually hide the status of the different states, so you actually don't know how well your game is until it's finished. You also don't know how buggy it is or how well the indie community thinks of you. Hmm.

Usually games grow, they don't pop into existence. The developer should have an idea how buggy it is, also many people talk about their games and get feedback, sometimes even before the game is made while it still is an idea. So one also has a feeling what people think about it.

You can blur the status though. "Some people might like your game", "You already received lots of enthusiastic fan mail" or such give an idea if you are doing good or not, while still giving room to inpretation.

I like the overall idea of the game development game, though Smiley

Per aspera ad astra
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic