Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:39:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignoh no! my game is boring.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: oh no! my game is boring.  (Read 2427 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:39:05 PM »

hello all. so here is something I have been dealing with. i have made several games and after working on them for a few weeks I realize they are just not fun. I usually spend a few more weeks trying to fix that, but usually in the end it seems like the game will not be interesting. so I ask everyone have you had this problems? how do you go about dodging this obstacle? and if and when you call it quits?

Kekskiller
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:54:05 AM »

why don't you upload it and listen the player's ramblings? of course I don't if you already did, but that's usually more useful than trying to find out what the problem is by yourself.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:44:37 AM »

so I ask everyone have you had this problems? how do you go about dodging this obstacle? and if and when you call it quits?

Yes, I had this too. I'd like to make RPG/dungeon explorer crossovers, but in a peaceful fashion, that is without combat. And it's really difficult in this genre to make a game interesting without combat. Also, I have a space exploration project going, that is meant to be peaceful too, and at the moment not very thrilling.

Usually I then try to spawn discussions in forums, explaining the problems of the projects and hoping for good ideas. If there come ideas I can work some more on my projects, otherwise I just park them. My graphics and code is pretty old fashion anyways so it doesn't matter if the projects will be finished this or next year.

It happens that a project is hibernating several years until I get new ideas and pick up working on it. So I guess I haven't found the point yet where to stop a project and call it a failure - one I have sorted out though, because the code became so complex that it became very hard to maintain, and it seemed futile to spend a lot of time on repairing a project that was not very special anyways. I could re-use parts of that project though for later work, so it's been ok.

A late idea of mine is to search someone who is very good at creating ideas and visions and team up with him/her. But my way of working on projects in short runs of a few weeks and then turning to something else, to come back to the project after months or years of doing something else, is just not suitable for teamwork. So I haven't really tried that yet. But there are people who have a lot of ideas, so teaming up with someone like that should be an option if you are stuck with a project, due to lack of ideas.

Per aspera ad astra
Delmore
Unironically Unfunny
Level 1

haha dude i love indie games!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:41 AM »

When did gameplay matter? It's all about the STORY.
pgil
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:21:50 AM »

When did gameplay matter? It's all about the STORY.
I think you're mistaking video games for books.
Seth
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »

No, books are all about the writing, duh.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Not another one of those discussions.  Facepalm+
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »

hello all. so here is something I have been dealing with. i have made several games and after working on them for a few weeks I realize they are just not fun. I usually spend a few more weeks trying to fix that, but usually in the end it seems like the game will not be interesting. so I ask everyone have you had this problems? how do you go about dodging this obstacle? and if and when you call it quits?

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that often your own games will be boring to you, because you've played it so much. It's really hard to judge the quality of your own work.

What have others said?
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »

This happened to me a couple weeks back. I completed my first "real" game, and it was horrible. What happened was that it seemed an interesting project because some tricky AI was involved, so I spent almost all the time trying to perfect that, which required repeatedly watching matches of this game play out among NPCs; I only added in the interactivity after the AI was done. What turned out was a game more fun to watch than to play. The game's creator had all the fun, while the player was an afterthought.

It's not so much that the gameplay is ill-judged in this game of mine, it's just fundamentally boring. The only way that project could be salvaged would be as a screensaver. No amount of work would ever make it fun.

Point is, I'll bet you did essentially the same thing: you made a shitty game. If you're describing your games as "boring", they're probably irrecoverably bad. But what's so wrong with that? Don't beat a dead horse too long, just move on to better things. By virtue of having made bad games, you know more about how to make good ones, or at least your technical skills have advanced (otherwise you're not pushing yourself hard enough). Just remember that it wasn't a waste of time in spite of poor results.
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:04:06 AM »

One thing that has helped me is to research similar or just plain good games and write down everything that makes them feel good to you.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:32:20 AM »

If you think your game is boring, try to analyze what's wrong with it. Even if you still decide to abandon it, knowing which mistakes you made can do a great deal to help you avoid them in future projects.

But hey, what if your game isn't actually that bad? Like FatHat said, judging your own work is hard. If it's finished, how about you post it on here (or did you already?) and ask other people for their input? You have nothing to lose.

Also, there have been numerous occasions where I lost all confidence in the game I was developing, thinking it's boring, it's shit, it's not worth making etc. What I do when this happens is I step away from development for a couple days and do something else. It helps me gain a fresh perspective on my project and often makes me realize the supposed "dead end" I reached only existed in my mind. Overfamiliarity with your work can cause frustration easily.  Wink
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 04:25:43 AM »

Yes, sometimes the line between fun and tedium is a few small magic number tweaks, or an additional rule...

Jolli
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »

just start over

dont spend time on shit
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic