Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:45:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUntitled Possible Fighting Game (and maybe other projects)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Possible Fighting Game (and maybe other projects)  (Read 1343 times)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:45:41 PM »

Let's cut to the chase. I decided (Monday) that I wanted to make a fighting game. This prototype is the result of wanting to a) practice prototyping and b) see if the system is any fun. So I bring it to you guys to try it for me!
Download here. (Made in GM6.1, I used the GM-Convert thingy on the .exe already)
The controls are:
A, D, Left and right arrow keys: move side to side
C,V,B,N - Second player's attack buttons.
H,J,K,L - First Player's attack buttons.
Sorry about awkward controls, I tried to make it better but... :x
The demo shows the first character to be known, Agent Balt (a character of an online buddy of mine known as Cobalt who also made the graphics, placeholders, but they serve their purpose GLORIOUSLY). This was more of a test, like I said. The demo also shows the very core of the system of attack attributes (mainly, Balt on the left has a sharp punch, other Balt has a blunt punch, the kick is a pierce, the guard is a shield, and the fireball is a projectile.) I know it's stupidly hard to hit the projectiles with the punches, but I do plan on giving the characters collision masks so it's easier D:

The system is as follows: (Cut and pasted from quick notes document I made in Word)
-Have 5 attributes for attacks:
   -Blunt
   -Sharp
   -Pierce
   -Projectile
   -Other (For non-attacks, shields, and certain attacks)
-Blunt can block Projectiles, but can’t block Pierce attacks.
-Sharp can stop Pierce attacks, but can’t stop Blunt attacks. Attacking a projectile will reduce damage done by it. Some attacks may even reflect the projectile.
-Pierce can penetrate shields, but cannot hit Projectiles.
-Projectiles are ranged. Duh. Can also have any of the other three attack attributes attached to it.
-Non-attacks can heal, push foes away, pull them towards you, or various other things.
-Shields* can block all attacks except for those with a Pierce attribute, but it reduces the damage done by those, at the cost of the shield.
-Certain attacks will do damage regardless if you hit it with another attack. The only way to avoid getting hit by these is to not get hit.

*Shields also refer to blocking.

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to take this and run with it. I'll be adding jumping next. That'll be fun... Hopefully this devlog will be able to motivate me to finish this.
The idea is to have a fighter that requires you to have a strategy, not spam attacks, and be able to fight with any character and have a fair chance against someone of equal skill who is using a different character.
tl;dr: I'm trying to achieve the impossible by making a balanced fighting game... of sorts.

Anyways, have at it gentlemen! I would love to get some input!  Gentleman

Next step: Jumping and blocks  Crazy
Now: Bed.
Please don't hurt me >:
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:09 AM »

Seems pretty cool so far.
I can punch projectiles pretty easily, but I haven't played with anyone else, so it may be harder in game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic