Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:58:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeJW's dream games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: JW's dream games  (Read 5587 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:24:26 AM »

These are games that I dreamt of. Something weird I happen do once every 2 months or something. (I think alcohol/ganja helps) I write down the ideas if I remember them, most of them are super weird and deserve to be made one day.

=| :^)

A strategy game in a desert(? I think). There are mountains/hills where you can build cannons or tennis fields on. The tennis fields generate money, more when they are places higher (because of the stronger wind I think?). Birds attack your buildings but the cannons can fire on them (manual control). Higher tennis fields are hit more because they aren't covered  by other hills/mountains.

A fps where you are an astronaut on the moon beating up aliens.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »

Moon Boxing.

WTF Kiss WTF
Kekskiller
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »

The moon boxing thing is one of the reasons why ragdoll and game physics exist.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:22:16 AM »

The name "Moon Boxing" makes me think of Power Punch II!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/punchout/punchout3.htm
JParkWildPockets
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »

Moon Boxing would be fun if made well, but it could fail like Power Punch II  Wink
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »

Dear jwaap: Would you mind if I posted the games I have seen in dreams?

Stategy game of some sort: An RTS about settling in a land far away from home. You start with just a few settlers and must create a thriving town to fight off beasts. This game was actually very melancholy for some reason, with a dark coloring scheme; all of the ground was a dark green grass, and all buildings were black or a dark, desaturated sort of green. One mission had you settling on one side of a river after sailing over it. All of the buildings looked rather like ruins of some sort, even though you built them new (I think there were some natural ruins, too). After some time, giant mechs came into it somewhere.

Tactical RPG: An isometric tactical RPG (essentially, in my mind, an RTS with a few unique units). I have no idea when it was supposed to be set or what it was about, because everything was just a flurry of dream-logic in tactical form. Apparently, I was at the beginning of the game, controlling a "priest" (a teenager in a brown robe). If I discern correctly, the temple you worked at was being attacked by Heathens, but instead of fighting them, the introductory part is just trying to get out of the fighting. I recall provoking a Heathen archer into chasing me, then getting out of the way quickly, so his arrow hit another Heathen behind me. For some reason, the priest had a small brown dog running after him. There was also a bone that could be used as a weapon, only it just cast some type of offensive magic over various weird patterns you could choose from.

Dwarf Fortress: At least, that's what my subconscious said it was. Actually, it was A) side-view, B) science-fiction-themed with humans instead of dwarves, and C) instead of a roguelike style of art where symbols are used for objects, it used another style where simple drawings of the things are made with symbols.

All I remember is a spaceship underground, exploding, taking out the entire screen and incinerating the people near it. It was awesome and I would totally make this game if only Game Maker was more friendly to ASCII art.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:55:59 AM »

A strategy game in a desert(? I think). There are mountains/hills where you can build cannons or tennis fields on. The tennis fields generate money, more when they are places higher (because of the stronger wind I think?). Birds attack your buildings but the cannons can fire on them (manual control). Higher tennis fields are hit more because they aren't covered  by other hills/mountains.

You have better game ideas asleep than I do when I'm awake; actually this sounds like a ridiculous 80s atari game or something.
I think the tennis fields that are higher up generate more money because the rockstar novelty of playing tennis on a mountain gets more valuable the higher the mountain is.

None of my dreams would make very good games. I dreamed I was covered in bees once... it was awful!
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »

BEST FPS

MOON BOXING
koliver66
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »

This:

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 02:59:07 AM »

I'm sure I've seen that somewhere, and now I'm annoyed because I can't figure out where.
What movie was that in? Assuming it is in a movie, and I'm pretty confident that it is.

...JW, those definitely need to be games! They're crazy in an amazing way.
I haven't had many dreams* in the last few years... And when I do, you'd think it would be memorable, but no. The details -- and eventually the entire concepts -- tend to leave my memory pretty quickly unless I write them down or tell someone about them.
I'm almost positive I've had dreams of games before, but I can't think of any! It's sad, because I don't think I've ever seen a game that came from and idea communicated in a dream. I've played games that are meant to feel "dreamy", but that's totally different.
Anyway, my point is that I hope I can remember a dream one of these days and turn it into a game... Heh. It would be even better, of course, if the dream was of a game (I take it that's what yours were like) instead of just being something that could easily be turned into a game.

*I read somewhere that people dream every time they sleep or whatever, and you only remember the ones you wake up during. That makes sense, I guess... So technically I have been dreaming, but I haven't been waking up while dreaming. But whatever, you know what I meant. (And I'm not totally sure where I read that, so it could be a complete lie anyway.)

...Also, why did this thread die so quickly the first time? It's an interesting topic. =P

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
GordonCSA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »

For years, I had dreams about Super Mario 64. I don't know why.

I'm pretty sure you can remember more than just the ones you wake up during. I certainly do.
The thing about games in dreams is that often the dream will contain this one awesome 'feeling' of playing it, that may be impossible to replicate, even if you can remember how to duplicate the gameplay.

...I dreamed I was covered in bees once...

I don't know, sounds like it has some potential...  Wink

Circle Stone Aviator
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »

I once dreamed about a vast dungeon-like sewer system, almost infinite in size. It was a Lovecraftian kind of deal, and counted as a separate dimension. Basically, a really abstract, incomprehensibly vast, filthy dungeon. Ever since I had that dream, I've wanted to make some game set in it.

Also, because I am a nerdy nerd nerd, a great deal of my dreams are viewed from a cinematic or gamelike standpoint, where I'm not a person, but a "camera" with movielike or gamelike sensibilities. My dreams also have the habit of suddenly changing their medium - e.g., existing as myself, but suddenly jumping out of my body to have a third-person perspective.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »

I just recently dreamed about playing some sort of adventure game. It took place in a cafe/restaurant kind of location. There was a variety of patrons, all very distinct and interesting characters. I think there was something stopping you from leaving the building, and so the puzzles revolved around escaping. The major puzzle mechanic was giving your beverage to the various waiters and waitresses to get various effects. For instance, one waitress was apparently a devil/ghost girl, but she was pretty friendly otherwise, and she explained how she would super-heat your beverage for you, warning you to use it responsibly as the camera panned to various objects you could presumably pour it on for mischief.
koliver66
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »

I used to write down my dreams for story ideas, but I haven't done that in a long time.  After reading this post I decided to write down my next dream.  Surprisingly, it might actually make an okay game.

In my dream, I was playing an online game.  At some point in the game there was a trigger, which sucked me and everyone else into that session into an alternate reality.  There was some conflict in this area, then I was back playing the game.  This repeated and in each alternate reality I had different magical powers. 

My first thought after writing it down was maybe a competitive game similar to Braid, albeit not time based due to being multi-player.   
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:43 AM »

It's interesting that this happened right while this discussion was going on--
Last night I had a dream where there was a king who was in danger of losing his throne. Even though his title was "king", it was highly political... The people submitted votes about what roles the king should still fill, and if he lost too many of them, his position would be useless, and somebody else would take over.
So he teamed up with some kind of professional con artist to work at reclaiming his title. There was also a minstrel for some reason. I guess it would make sense if he was some kind of bard, though; it would be a pretty cool story to tell.
Anyway, since it was a dream, there were a lot of holes and nonsense.
For example, I don't really know how the king would be able to act without being recognized as king (it seemed like that was a key point of the plan), especially while wearing his royal robes the whole time. He had several capes and such on, and they were held in place by many ring-like clasp things. Apparently these represented which positions he still held.
Another problem is that I have no idea how he would actually be convincing people to vote for him without telling people who he was (which, as I said, was apparently pretty important). The goal seemed to be to help people and keep them happy... but as to how that improved the king's approval ratings, I have no idea.

I thought it was a pretty cool premise for something, but despite all of the game-like elements, I'm more likely to turn it into a short story or something... I have too many projects planned already, and it would probably be a fairly big game.
Maybe somewhere down the road, though....

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 07:55:30 AM »

I had this awesome dream game. It's a 3d pixellated platformer where you're in a dungeon and it has Super Mario Galaxy type gravity, as in the screen wraps and curves, but only in one dimension.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

Had a dream about an MMORPG. It was third-person 3D and was about goblins - you play a goblin in a goblin tribe. The game was, somewhat like World of Warcraft, based around getting into a proper team and acting as one unit, but the teams were considerably bigger, a bit more like clans in Kingdom of Loathing. You could customize your goblin pretty extensively. I was playing as a huge, hulking strength-based goblin, wielding a gigantic sword. I had just started the game and had joined up with a very small and weak tribe. I walked into the building my tribe owned (nobody else was online), only to find that, because we are a tiny and weak tribe, our base amounted to a large, dilapidated, and completely desolate wooden warehouse. Suddenly, a glass window high above the ground broke open. For some reason there was a hacked-together wooden staircase in front of it (the only anything in the room), and it was convenient the intruder chose that window to break open. The intruder, as it turned out, was a female goblin, a thief or rogue, much smaller and thinner than my brave goblin warrior. I could tell without asking, in that strange dreamlike way, that she had entered to steal without looking, and mistook our tribe for a tribe that actually owned something. She ran around in circles, trying to get back up the staircase, but I charged next to her and took a mighty swing of my oversized slab of iron. The screen shook and impressive blood physics were demonstrated as I completely annihilated the thief. It was so awesome and I totally want to play it now. Hand Metal LeftEvil:handmetalR:
forumirule
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »

Well I have problem with the dream game. Because they are too complicated and impossible to create. And don't know id someone will think the same way I do! Smiley

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »

What games about dreams are out there? I can't be the only one who, after seeing Inception, thought it may make for a compelling game mechanic. Psychonauts immediately comes to mind, but I'm thinking more about an adventure-style with more puzzles based on stacking dreams and engineering events to coincide properly between them with time dilation effects properly accounted-for.

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

What games about dreams are out there? I can't be the only one who, after seeing Inception, thought it may make for a compelling game mechanic. Psychonauts immediately comes to mind, but I'm thinking more about an adventure-style with more puzzles based on stacking dreams and engineering events to coincide properly between them with time dilation effects properly accounted-for.

I believe that wourme has made a thread about this. Besides NiGHTS and Little Nemo in Dreamland, I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'll go look for the thread.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic