Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411885 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 06, 2024, 11:13:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFeeback Request: The Good Apprentice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feeback Request: The Good Apprentice  (Read 2368 times)
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

We've been working hard to get The Good Apprentice finished.  After 2 months of intense work, we're willing to share it with you guys!  The Good Apprentice is our attempt to make the best top down shooter for the PC.

In it, you play as Landria, a Dark Sorceress, as she attempts to destroy the Democracy.  Together with her apprentice, Tamil, she searches for a Crystal that grants complete power.  When they find it, however, Landria learns that there is sometimes a huge cost to power... a deadly cost.

The Good Apprentice Picture 2

DEMO: The Good Apprentice Demo
(Demo is LESS than 5 MB, so download it today!)

Some notes:

This demo is meant to be a level demo.  We're concerned mostly with actually how the in game level plays.

Right now, the title screen looks crummy.  In addition, a lot of the art looks crummy.  We're working on that!

Please actually enter a level and kill some enemies.  We're mostly concerned with if that is an enjoyable experience or not!

To be specific, we're looking for the following feedback:

1.  How does the game look?  Is the art style good?
2.  Is the game fun?  Can you think of anything that would make it more fun?
3.  Please try to save your game and then load it multiple times.  We've been having some problems with that that we BELIEVE we've fixed.
    Is the system working or not?
4.  Any other additional comments would be great!

You can post here, or post it to us direct at:

[email protected]

Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:33:34 AM by jrjellybean » Logged

jrjellybeans
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »

Updated the demo slightly.  Still some problems, but we fixed some of the things that were giving people some problems.

Would still like some feedback from tigsourcers.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »

Hi ive just played through the tutorial and i've got a couple of feedbacks.

first off, when i quit the game left with this message
Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object storyThing:

Error in code at line 26:
   if room=s2_1 || room=s3_0 || room=s4_0
           ^
at position 10: Unknown variable s2_1

for me the biggest putoff was the music, gosh that was irritating.

I like the gameplay pretty much, and i think the layout of the tutorial was pretty neat.
especially the tutoring part (the ?'s i mean and in what order you find them)
I also think the weapons power up will be cool too, but i didn't get that far to actually know that .

I think the game would be more fun if you weren't on a turtle because i perceive the game as extra slow because of that.
Some of the art is good, some less. i especialy didn't like the 'fire effects' when you shoot a barrel. I think the game would be better if the turtle (or something) could visually rotate in more than 4 directions. And i would like to see a little bit more variation in the ground/wall tiles.

I haven't saved/loaded so i couldn't say.
And i wouldn't talk about the best top down shooter game in the world , because it isn't. And i don't know if your being ironic, naive or silly ?

hope this feedback was ok.

bye
jrjellybeans
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »

Hell yes that helps!  That helps a bunch, in fact!  Thanks a bunch for commenting Nikki!

Ironically enough, we love the music (well, I do at least).  Yet, so many have complained about it being annoying.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that (if any musicians want to help out, I could use the help).

As for the actual, gameplay, our attempt was actually to make a slow paced top down shooting game.  It doesn't seem like that sort of action is for everyone.

In any case, thanks a bunch!

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »

my pleasure,
BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

I can see that this is a slow paced shooter and so I have no problem with a turtle hammering that home. I wouldn't say the music was annoying, but probably barely passable nonetheless.

The game was fun, there's definitely some potential here. My main problem was the game was far too difficult. Especially for a tutorial, there's no reason you should have to worry about dying while your learning the ropes (and I tried 3 times). This could probably easily be fixed by making the health packs heal you almost all the way. It's almost too risky picking them up when they give you almost nothing.

Another factor (partially another difficulty problem) was enemies took far too many shots at to kill. It's easier just to run away from enemies than stand there clicking five or six times. One or two shots should be the maximum.

Clicking new game also gave an error. I'm sure you were aware of these, but I would prefer not having to boot up the whole demo to try again.

Most other things I had problems with, like the aformentioned explosions, are pretty nitpicky. I do agree with nikki the tutorial taught things well for the most part. Though I was stuck for a few minutes at the very beginning because it seemed all the doors were locked. Make the orange (?) door flashing or something so I know I have to shoot it.

Like I said, you got a pretty solid game here and I wish you luck in fixing some of these problems.
jrjellybeans
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »

Hey Binary, thanks a bunch!

I would like to point out again that the art still isn't done.  We're working on that.  I'm hoping to get that done entirely by today.

As for the enemies... yeah, it seems that quite a lot of people have died early on.  It's weird, because this game is quite easy for us Smiley

What I'm most troubled about, however, is this error message.  Is there any chance you could send a copy of the error to me?  Could you describe the error to me?  Could you duplicate it?

But, thanks a bunch Binary!  Your comments really help!

To the other people who've played the game and sent me an e-mail, thanks a bunch!  We're really working hard on this game, and I can't thank you enough for helping us to make it even better!

BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »

Well as the developer of an indie game, you are essentially the Q&A testers who inevitably will be awesome at the game. Cheesy

When New Game is pressed and the name is input:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object storyController:

Error in code at line 1:
   if (room=s0_0 || room=s0_1 || room=s1_0 || room=s1_1 )&&
                                     ^
at position 36: Unknown variable s1_0

Now that I look at it seems like a seems like a variable simply wasn't declared.
jrjellybeans
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »

* update

We've got the latest demo out.  I'm bumping this post as we should be nearing the time to release it.  We've tried to fix as many things as people told us.  Notably:

- the game should be slightly easier
- the music has been reworked and the volume lowered.  Hopefully, it's not annoying for people anymore Smiley
- more art has been put in
- HUD has been redone

If we could get some more people to try the demo here, that'd be great.  It would really help us determine what we want to do with the game in terms of marketing and what not:

The Good Apprentice Demo

In addition, if we can get some feedback on our website, that'd be awesome!

Jr. Jellybeans
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:43:21 PM by jrjellybean » Logged

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »

The link to your site in your last post is broken.  Did you mean http://www.jrjellybeansgames.com/index.html?

The website isn't flashy or graphical, but it is easy to navigate and loads quickly.

The intro to the game was a bit too corny for my tastes, but the gameplay makes up for that.  The tutorial was easy to follow, and the controls are natural.  However, I kept trying to use the mouse for the menu.

The map help tip appeared precisely when I was starting to think "well great, I'm lost", perfect timing!

Up until I ran into the tip about the symbols on the ground opening doors, I had no idea such doors existed.  I thought that the symbols were just part of picking up the skull keys.  I noticed them in the next area however, since I was blocked by one in the first room I opened with the skull key.  Someone could have easily missed this though.  It would be cool to handle this like Zelda does:  After you step on the symbol, focus the camera on the door and show it being unlocked.

I am unsure if this was intentional, or simply on the to-do list, but when you beat a level it looks like you have place-holder artwork for "Congratulations".  The game loading screen and shop graphics also look unfinished.

I was not aware that I could run before I found the tip about it.  However, once I knew the keys did something, it was natural.  I didn't have a need for running before this, otherwise I may have found the key out of gaming reflex.  There doesn't seem to be a disadvantage to running constantly though, unless you count it being slightly more difficult to aim.  Perhaps have a stamina bar?

There needs to be some kind of feedback when you can't pickup an item because you are full in whatever it gives.  Perhaps a negative sound effect and a red message to the left?

The center of the map is difficult to see because your character is right behind it.  This could be fixed by moving the map to the right, or making the black lines for walls solid.

It would be interesting if monsters popped out of destroyed bushes/boxes randomly (or planned).

Collision detection is sometimes a bit odd.  You can't fit through a gap which looks like you should be able to fit through.  Maybe use a bounding circle for the turtle?

The game crashed after the third level completed.  Here is the error message:
for object storyThing:

Error in code at line 28:
   if room=s2_1 || room=s3_0 || room=s4_0
                        ^
at position 23: Unknown variable s3_0
This same error popped up again after exiting the game while inside of the third level on my second try.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:20:48 PM by InvisibleMan » Logged

jrjellybeans
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:18 AM »

Hey Tigers!  First off, thanks to all of the people so far who have tried the game.  We've taken a bunch of your suggestions and tried to implement them accordingly!

@ invisibleMan - thanks a bunch.  We've taken a couple of your suggestions and tried to put them in.  Some we just don't think fit well with the game, however.

We've done a couple of improvements based on the feedback that we've been getting.  We'd love to know if there are any additional problems.

Some changes:

- music has been changed.  We're using Jakes Free Game Midis now, so we HOPE that things go smoothly with that
- mouse control in the menu has been put in
- ALL of the art has been finished
- scoring system has been put into the game
- new map screen
- the shop is now accessible earlier

We're around the last release before we officially release the game!  If anyone has any comments / suggestions, we'd love to here it!

(You can download the demo at the same place: The Good Apprentice Demo)

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 03:50:16 AM »

i like the new music a lot better !

is that intro screen new too ? (or maybe i was looking with my ass before ?)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic