Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:37:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMarket Research: Help me with my homework!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Market Research: Help me with my homework!  (Read 6440 times)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:01:01 PM »

So, a bit of context first - about 4/5 months ago, I quit my job (after saving for ages) to try and make a living as a game designer. To help make ends meet, I went looking for a part time job. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find one, but eventually I found something else - a government sponsored entrepreneur course. It's a part time university course that comes with a small grant.

There are lots of business things that I think it could be really useful to know about - how to form a company, the Irish tax and VAT systems, how to apply for business loans - all that sorta stuff. Less interesting to me are things like how to "market" your product, how to advertise, knowing your customer and all that stuff. Unfortunately, that's what my first class was all about.

Nevertheless, I've to do this course twice a week, so I'm keeping an open mind about it. I was hoping that some people here might be able to help me with my first homework assignment! I need a sample group and I'd really rather not ask random people on the street Tongue

Basically, I was asked to do some market research. The idea is that you ask a couple of people to rank the importance of a number of different features of your "product" and use that data to give you some idea of where you should be focusing your attention.

In my case, my list of features looks like this:

How important (on a scale of 1 to 10) are these aspects of a game to you?
 * Attractive/Stylish Graphics
 * A Good Soundtrack
 * Interesting Storyline
 * Good Level Design
 * Innovative Concept
 * Challenge & Longevity
 * Online Features
 * Price
 * Open Source

And here's how I'd score them:

How important (on a scale of 1 to 10) are these aspects of a game to you?
 [3]  Attractive/Stylish Graphics   
 [8]  A Good Soundtrack             
 [10] Interesting Storyline         
 [10] Good Level Design             
 [7]  Innovative Concept           
 [5]  Challenge & Longevity         
 [2]  Online Features               
 [2]  Price                         
 [2]  Open Source     

If my classes get more interesting, I'll post what I learn here Smiley

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

[4] Attractive/Stylish Graphics
[6] A Good Soundtrack
[9] Good Level Design
[8] Innovative Concept
[9] Challenge & Longevity
[4] Online Features
[10] Price
[5] Open Source

Something like that. Smiley
Jolli
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »

[10]Attractive/Stylish Graphics
 [8]A Good Soundtrack
 [zero]Interesting Storyline
 [9]Good Level Design
 [7]Innovative Concept
 [8]Challenge & Longevity
 [6]Online Features
 [5]Price
 [2]Open Source
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »

Attractive/Stylish Graphics
A Good Soundtrack
Interesting Storyline
Good Level Design
Innovative Concept
Challenge & Longevity
Online Features
Price
Open Source

have fun with the course!
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »

[5]  Attractive/Stylish Graphics   
[6]  A Good Soundtrack             
[8] Interesting Storyline         
[8] Good Level Design             
[10]  Innovative Concept           
[2]  Challenge & Longevity         
[2]  Online Features               
[8]  Price                         
[8]  Open Source   

Might as well chip in.  Smiley Good luck with your future entrepreneurisms!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

[7] Attractive/Stylish Graphics
[6] A Good Soundtrack
[5] Interesting Storyline
[10] Good Level Design
[10] Innovative Concept
[6] Challenge & Longevity
[2] Online Features
[2] Price
[1] Open Source

That would be my way of ranking those...

But...

I found that funny that the part you don't find interesting is the one about your market. Being game designer is all about knowing who plays your game. Knowing your market is knowing your players and knowing your players is knowing how to make the game good.

Also, I feel like the approach taken with this top ten thing feels more like a marketing strategy for common products, like cereal boxes or cat litter, rather than for video games. I'm not saying that its essentialy bad, it just that taking this approach, in my opinion, ends up with games without soul and that have design focuses such as "violence sells" or "sex sells" instead of gameplay elements.

Personaly, I'd rather take an approach using game styles and their markets. Like evalutaing the market of rpg then evaluate which titles sold the most and why. Then, study what is missing in this market and make a game that have the good sides of those who sold and elements missing in these same titles. Basicaly, just like when you look at a game and say "why didn't they design it this way, it woul've been alot more fun". I think it's a more design-oriented method. The market you are evaluting could also be about innovative games, like how well did games that did not follow a known genre sold and what are the chances of piercing the market with a new and innovative concept.

Personaly, that's what I do when we start a new project at work. I look at the market, I look at what we have in our catalog of games then establish what kind of game we could develop. Then we establish what titles are the cannon of this style and study why they are so good and popular. Then we start the development.

Perhaps I'm simply over reacting or I have completly misunderstood the point of the exercise but I feel like the top thingy you have to do just lists all the things that make a game fantastic and, when you develop, you should aim have all those elements, whatever the game you are doing. I mean, a game that has stylish and beautiful graphics, a great soundtrack, an interesting storyline, excellent level design, innovatice concepts, has online features, with a good price as well as providing open source code for mods and stuff, like that would be a close to perfect game.

It just feels to me like the guys who created that program just followed the basic rules of marketing and evaluated that video games are a growing market, took a basic course like "how to sell plants" and slapped a video game tag on it without first asking themselves what is a good video game and why people play them as well as how they are created.

Yes, I think I'm just over reacting... It's just that I really don't like when games are focusing on marketing than on gameplay. It's really not because of you at all Terry, it's attitude of the people who train others into working in the field of video game that kind of tick me off. I don't want to offend you, I'm really venting off more than anything else. Sorry if I missed the point Sad

Later and good luck with the course! Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »

Guert, I couldn't agree more Smiley I think this is a total waste of time - but I'm looking at it like a part time job, and this is what I'm being paid to do. It's akin to scrubbing toilets to me.

Regardless of the results of this survey, I have a game in mind that I want to make, and I intend to make it even if this survey reveals that the core elements of my game aren't interesting to my "market".

I'll go in to more detail tomorrow, but it's way past my bedtime :D (also I'm drunk). Though I should probably specify that this course isn't geared at game designers, it's a generic entrepreneur course so it's probably inevitable that these kind of generalisations don't apply.

By the way, thanks for the numbers everyone - keep them coming Tongue

edit: I just reread your post and I think I misread it the first time - I think you're saying that I could have put together a more interesting survey based on more nuanced design factors? You're probably right Tongue

edit again: Yeah, I'll give a proper answer tomorrow when I've sobered up, sorry :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:19:38 PM by Terry » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »

Oh... well, I'm over reacting then Tongue...

About the survey, i think perhaps you could do a survey that would tell if your game has a market or not, perhaps around it's theme or its gameplay style (rpg, action, etc..) You could ask your teacher hoe they usualy proceed with tv shows since it's a bit similar... 

Later!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »

Less interesting to me are things like how to "market" your product, how to advertise, knowing your customer and all that stuff. Unfortunately, that's what my first class was all about.

Actually I think if you put those into the correct context they're fairly interesting. This is how I think of them. Marketing just means learning how to best deliver value to people, to bring to people things they would enjoy and things that would improve their lives. Advertising just means how to do that for the most people with the fewest dollars, and how best to chocolate-coat the value you'll be bringing to them. Knowing your customer just means recognizing what your audience is and how to provide them with that which would allow them to achieve their potential. If you think of them like that you might find those things more interesting. It's contradictory to be good at making games and not want to be good at marketing, because why go through the effort of making games if not to have people benefit from them, and how could they benefit from the games if they don't know about them?

But here are my answers:

* Attractive/Stylish Graphics - 9
 * A Good Soundtrack - 7
 * Interesting Storyline - 10
 * Good Level Design - 8
 * Innovative Concept - 6
 * Challenge & Longevity - 5
 * Online Features - 0
 * Price - 0
 * Open Source - 0

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 07:20:04 PM »

* Attractive/Stylish Graphics - 9
 * A Good Soundtrack - 6
 * Interesting Storyline - 6
 * Good Level Design - 10
 * Innovative Concept - 7
 * Challenge & Longevity - 4
 * Online Features - 2
 * Price - 6
 * Open Source -1
Good luck, Terry. Wink

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »

[9] Attractive/Stylish Graphics
[2] A Good Soundtrack
[8] Good Level Design
[7] Innovative Concept
[4] Challenge & Longevity
[1] Online Features
[8] Price
[1] Open Source

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 10:34:31 PM »

[9] Attractive/Stylish Graphics
[2] A Good Soundtrack
[8] Good Level Design
[7] Innovative Concept
[4] Challenge & Longevity
[1] Online Features
[8] Price
[1] Open Source

Commander! Let us dance together for we are one, divided!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »

[8]  Attractive/Stylish Graphics   
 [5]  A Good Soundtrack             
 [8] Good Level Design             
 [5]  Innovative Concept           
 [5]  Challenge & Longevity         
 [1]  Online Features               
 [6]  Price                         
 [2]  Open Source     

tweet tweet @j_younger
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »

The distractionware Corporation thanks you all for your participation :D

Alright so, I said I'd discuss this more when I'm sober and I will. First up, results:

There were a total of twelve responses, giving us these results:

AveragesStandard Deviations
* Good Level Design   
* Innovative Concept   
* Interesting Storyline   
* A Good Soundtrack   
* Challenge & Longevity   
* Price   
* Online Features   
* Open Source   
* Interesting Storyline   
* Price   
* Challenge & Longevity   
* Open Source   
* Innovative Concept   
* A Good Soundtrack   
* Online Features   
* Good Level Design   

What does this tell us? Well, not much, honestly. This is way too small a sample size to be meaningful, no doubt. Hopefully it's interesting to someone here, though.

The important thing is that at least I've got something to hand up in class tomorrow :D

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »

I'd really like to see that poll being answered by more people. It'd be interesting to see the results.

It would also be nice to see how "indie gamers"' opinions differ from the "mainstream" ones.
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »

There's one thing missing in your list that I find the most important thing and that also obliterates practically all others. It's consistency.

To me, the individual elements of a game production don't matter as much as how well they work together. This applies mostly to the creative aspect. But I think it applies to business aspects as well (a cheap small game is equally attractive as a big expensive one e.g.).

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:43 AM »

Perhaps we are assuming an average level of consistency? (for some definition of average) It's too much of an "obvious" point, I think, like for example if we had a category for "not buggy".

Also:

[7] Attractive/Stylish Graphics
[8] A Good Soundtrack
[9] Good Level Design
[6] Innovative Concept
[6] Challenge & Longevity
[3] Online Features
[2] Price
[2] Open Source

olücæbelel
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:59 AM »

Hope this still helps somewhat...

[5]  Attractive/Stylish Graphics
  [5]  A Good Soundtrack
  [7]  Interesting Storyline
  [10] Good Level Design
  [8]  Innovative Concept
  [10] Challenge & Longevity
  [1]  Online Features
  [3]  Price
  [5]  Open Source

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »

[8] Attractive/Stylish Graphics
[3] A Good Soundtrack
[4] Interesting Storyline
[10] Good Level Design
[7] Innovative Concept
[9] Challenge & Longevity
[7] Online Features