Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:18:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralUnanswered questions in the Mario series
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Unanswered questions in the Mario series  (Read 48757 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »

Melly...you might be a genius.  WTF
You just figured this out now?
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »

As for the bit about coins coming out of fireball'd enemies in SMW, the same happens in the 3D games, with the fireball exchanged for a stomp.

Anyway, look at it this way: "Goomba" is an ethnic slur for Italians, right?  The Mario games (well, SMB1, at least) are about an Italian civil war in which Mario must capture enemy strongholds and ultimately "rescue" the Princess so that she may influence the King and Queen to make decisions that benefit only Mario's army.  This ultimately works perfectly, so when SMB3 rolls around, Bowser repeatedly strong-arms the King into helping him (via ransom notes, of course).  This is represented by the King transforming into some manner of vile, slimy creature (such as a frog).

Also note that in Galaxy, Bowser is attempting to create his own universe, a way of saying that Bowser is choosing to split off from the Mario controlled nation and form a new one of his own devising.  He needs Peach to act as a figurehead, a pretty face to sway citizens in his favor.

The games manipulate you to see Mario's quest as pure, with the more human-like Toads assisting his cause, but this may or may not be the case.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

Mario is just an average Italian-American Brooklyn resident trying to make a meager living as a simple plumber, as that's the only skill he really has, but has issues with keeping up with competition in his area. Times have been rough economically and emotionally, as his brother, Luigi, became the owner of a successful chain of restaurants, preffering to cut all ties with Mario instead of dealing with his brother being a failure, and his girlfriend, who he liked to call Peach, left him because he couldn't give her the life he promised, and eventually hooked up with a millionaire owner of a large, powerful corporation. So he took to experimenting with some mushrooms a stoner buddy of his gave him, to try and get away from it all, as even booze wasn't working anymore.

The Mario games, including the Donkey Kong arcade game, have all been trips of Mario as he consumes hallucinogic mushrooms to not have to deal with his crappy life. In them, Luigi is more of a sidekick, living mostly in his shadow, Peach is a princess that still loves him, and the corporation owner is now Bowser, a huge turtle dragon monster, who kidnaps her to force her into being his wife. He used to see the man as a gorilla, but eventually it seems his mind didn't think that was evil enough.

Mario continuously uses mushrooms to escape his life and entertain increasingly bizarre fantasies in which he saves his beloved Peach from the claws of Bowser, his brother Luigi is helpful to him but never manages to steal his spotlight, where he constantly finds gold coins and ammasses a fortune, where despite his plump nature he's still highly and even superhumanly athletic, and he rides a dinosaur into battle (his dad never gave him that poney).

Melly speaks the truth.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »

Why does everyone go with the cliche Mario is a depressive dude that hallucinates his adventures?

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »

I think also Mario's brief stint as a "doctor" implied his experiments with the harder stuff.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »

Why does everyone go with the cliche Mario is a depressive dude that hallucinates his adventures?

Consume some psychedelic drugs and it will all become very clear to you  Gentleman

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »

Realistically, I think a lot of the themes in Mario are inspired by Alice in Wonderland, which itself is very much drug inspired.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »

I understand the reasoning, I just tried to state how cliched that "original" interpretation has become to the point it became totally uninteresting. I still prefer the "Peach is a chessmaster" over mario is a drug based game.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

The Mario Kingdom is the real world.

Our world is just a strange dream.

All the different people and personalities present on earth are just the fragments of Mario's sleeping mind.

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »

All the different people and personalities present on earth are just the fragments of Mario's sleeping mind.
Man, Mario sure does a lot of dreaming about himself.  What a dick.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »

Well he was able to sleep through several game overs while I played Mario 2.  No matter how much I killed him, he refused to wake up.

What the fuck does that say about his state of mind?  WTF

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »

You mean you have dreams that you're not in? Weird.

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »

You mean you have dreams that you're not in? Weird.
A lot of the time, yes.  I guess I'm just weird though?
Good to know. Embarrassed

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »

I often dream thing where I am kinda a passive entity that just watches the dream unfold.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2010, 12:55:08 AM »

Yeah, kinda like watching a movie, really.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »

Aren't all dreams a bit like that though, with the exception of lucid dreams?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2010, 06:11:06 AM »

Not really, many oher dreams I have I often participate.

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »

Sometimes I have third-person dreams. Dreams in which I am both observing "myself" and acting.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 29, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »

Not really, many oher dreams I have I often participate.
Yeah but you don't usually have any real control over what happens.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »

But do we have any real control over anything that we do?  Durr...?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic