Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:13:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)My Art [Venator Inc.]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: My Art [Venator Inc.]  (Read 11123 times)
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »

Oh okay gotcha, yeah that would be pretty badass.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »

Go study some anatomy. NOW.

true that times a thousand.  Not to be mean, everyone who draws figures should be studying anatomy. Whether you draw realistic, cartoon, or anime, human anatomy is incredibly important.  Your characters seem to have unusually large and perfectly rounded breasts.  The heads are pretty big as well even for anime.  You should also pay close attention to line weight and the curve of your lines. Right now they are very rigid and dont give off a nice round form that the human body has.  Try not to make your lines so choppy.  Try and get long smooth lines.  The graffiti styled one is pretty well done, it would be nice to see that inked.

venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 02:48:44 AM »

Haha no I know u don't wanna be mean. I just know it's true, I've always had problems with anatomy, but I never take some time to learn it. I should really pay attention to that.

About the graffiti:
Yeah it would be neat to have a game fully made of graffiti. Not hand-drawn of course, then everything has to be scanned in, takes a lot of time, etc.

How do you mean inked? Just drawn with ink, or pen, or ..?

Jrsquee
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 08:56:44 AM »

I suggest looking around for an art association near you, as they will probably have some figure drawing classes or (even better) some open studio time with a draped/undraped model.  If you can't get that, try checking out posemaniacs.com for a weaker substitute.
venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

Is that even possible when im 15?

Jrsquee
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »

Totally, though you might have to get your parents to sign a release form if the model isn't draped

posemaniacs is free though
Renton
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »

You're not going to fuck the models; just draw them.
venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »

Haha true, but I just thought maybe that kinda school isn't available under 18, or 16, or whatever Tongue

venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »

How about this:

Did some study on the anatomy of a male and female. I'll keep practicing untill I can do this stuff fast and easy enough.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »

Looking better- one major problem I can see is the shape of the limbs.

Notice how the arm and leg aren't perfectly straight? You've got a little bit of curve to your drawing, but the shape's not quite there.

Please keep posting your progress, and we'll help out however we can!
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

Haha, I was going to complain about the boobs of the second 'anime girl' in your earlier post, seeing the anatomy practice one I'm seeing some kind of improvement

Boobs are important stuff you know!

Mostly cause they've been so utterly badly rendered (esp. in 90s video game 3d graphics and game art) through the times, and that your picture was sort of following along the boobs-as-spheres thing. In anime-like art*** too, you should try to go with good anatomy - most art in most manga and anime is built upon good anatomy and then simplified/exaggerated to fit the style. Which can sometimes look quite interesting/funny when you've got a realistically rendered body with ANIME FACE (TM) stuck on top.

Or the manga and anime where you've got super simplified girls with positively huge eyes togheter with realistically rendered old men with eyes 1/8 of the girls. Residing in the same manga/anime. Oh my.

Anyways one can never skimp on the anatomy. Nor the boobs. Boobs are anatomy you know!

I think you're having somewhat of a problem with rendering your characters in 3d space? I think a good exercise for you would be to draw the same face in 3 angles (front-inbetween-profile) to force you to think about facial details and their placement, etc. in 3d space, however you choose to stylize them. Otherwise you might end up with non-flexible symbolic shapes that you cannot stray from - they'll be locked in muscle memory and you'll have a hard time expanding upon them.

Wall of text about stuff. Read it though, it might be relevant. Translating anime-like stylistics into 3d-able art is hard, but always worth it. I'll be there to help you. Probably. If I feel into it and am at the computer. But still! : D

***about calling stuff anime art or manga art, both are perfectly valid, they still just mean 'big eyes or man I dunno japanese popular drawn entertainment stylistic' and these are the two big media where this stylistic appears all the time.
venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »

@"Read it though, it might be relevant":
of course I'll read it through. Almost every long wall o text comment is worth reading it, because the information is almost always helpfull.

And okay, I'll draw a model from 3 views, just to practice Wink

@Theo:
So, how did the limbs actually have to be? I'm not really sure about it Tongue

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:02 PM »

3D.SK is good way to start with anatomy, even with tiny thumbs, a lot of different body type, clothes, poses available by model and in many angle!

http://www.3d.sk/?id=10&act=search&search_query=&age=18-20&animals=0&body_parts=0&body_type=Athletic&clothes=0&clothes_type=Nude&emotions=0&gender=Woman&poses=0&premade_textures=0&race=0&special_signs=0&videos=0&weapons=0&tn=sm&sf=p&mi=1&bs=1&form_submit=Search+%C2%BB

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »

@"Read it though, it might be relevant":
of course I'll read it through. Almost every long wall o text comment is worth reading it, because the information is almost always helpfull.

And okay, I'll draw a model from 3 views, just to practice Wink

@Theo:
So, how did the limbs actually have to be? I'm not really sure about it Tongue

Yuss, then post it here! : D so I can give feedback!

The limbs need to have more distinct shape, larger at the upper-middle part of the calves, and, well, note how the outer parts of the thighs bulge outwards in the model he posted? That kind of stuff. The silhouettes of the woman's calves in your image are almost concave! O: that's what he meant.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 01:55:37 PM »

You're not going to fuck the models; just draw them.
Haha.  Coffee

venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »

Haven't posted anything lately...
So I did some anatomy practice from 3 sides on a female. I don't like how it turned out, only the back view looks a bit nice. Why doesn't my drawing look female?

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »

Okay, you drew male hips on to a female.  They are actually decent hips for a male.  Female hips are much curvier and simpler.  Think of the cartoon hour glass shape.  While the hour glass shape is maybe an oversimplification and idealization of the body it helps keep in mind that the curve of the hips start very high up on the female body.  Nice job on the back thats probably the strongest one.  Be careful on the side shot of the body not to make her look like a stick.  The body curves in and out almost like an "S".  The thighs are incredibly small.  Thighs should be pretty large especially on alot of women.  The feet are well grounded and look nicely drawn so good job on that.  Also your drawing has very masculine shoulders, female shoulders are just nice small bumps and very curvy.  Remember to keep the female body soft and curvy where as the male body is much more rigid and straight.  Were you looking at a reference picture for this?  You should be if you weren't.

EDIT:

I did a paint over for you, I hope this helps.  I noticed a few more things that were off while doing the paint over as well.  The breasts are too high, the body is shrunken and you didn't give her much of a neck. Just an overall tip: make sure you always try to draw convex lines on the body make your lines flow and make the body feel full.  This isn't perfect as I just went over it quick but it should give you an idea of what to fix.
Overlay:

by itself:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:16:48 PM by Caliber9 » Logged

venatorinc
Level 0

~PixelArtist~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 08:40:23 AM »

it looks awesome, but, she looks a little fat in your edit?

I'll keep ur advice in mind, I'll post another piece soon  Wink

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »

well, that's because people aren't cartoon characters. Smiley

actually, i'd recommend not starting in on characters right now. But if you must, focus on structure through gestures.

The way you're drawing those studies says to me that you're looking at the object and not the structure of that object. Right now you're drawing what you think you see, not what you see. If you can discern the difference you'll make great strides!  Gentleman

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »

thats some good advice up there! Hand Thumbs Up Left  Structure is very important and may also be a bit less frustrating to begin to learn instead of jumping to full rendering of the figure.
well, that's because people aren't cartoon characters. Smiley

Yeah, I didnt want to defend myself for fear of sounding too arrogant of my own drawing skills but real people are much rounder and fuller than cartoon characters.  Even the half naked women you see in television and magazines are distortions of what the real human body looks like.  Im an advocate for drawing healthy and realistic looking woman and men.  But try using www.posemaniacs.com its a really great site and could help. And like aeiowu said, try to draw the structures and shapes that build up the body, in the end it shouldnt even look completely finished , its great practice and you will improve if you do these every day like an exercise that you go to the gym for.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic