Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 09:31:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRoofMaker - a small subset of a work in progress
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RoofMaker - a small subset of a work in progress  (Read 3255 times)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »

Hello !

I have a development log at this site in the right place
But at this time i am looking for feedback from people who are completely new to the thing i am making.

I will thus not tell alot about the program that's here, apart from that you can make roofshapes with it. And the interface is slightly copied from dwarf fortress (the cake-layered 3d approach)

I am curious if you can work with the program, and make something with it.
It's not completely finished, but it is workable at the moment.
If you find things that don't do what you think they should i am happy to hear them!
or any other erhm, feedback is more than welcome.

a supersmall tutorial:

and the program (the tutorial file is in there aswell)
kiwi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »

I have a single objection, I get really weird results when I try to draw something that isn't hollow on the inside (Even on the file you left as an example).
I'm not sure how you make the roof, but it might be a good idea to compute the angle from the origin and consider that the face, so that when you are building the roof you can take into account only the tiles that are in a 180 degree angle behind your tile.

And the way I picture it, it might be a good idea to have a way to select more tiles and operate on them and maybe a mirror function, just press a button and everything you make on the left side is copied on the right side, stuff like that.

Otherwise everything works as expected honestly

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 10:58:17 AM »

yeah, the hollowness is an absolute necessity, atm, because otherwise there I have no way of telling the 'outside' vs the 'inside'.

your solution reads as a very smart thing, i'll have to re-read it a few times, think about it some more and then i might be able to make it like that. (i hope Smiley)

that mirror function is a very cool idea, i'll implement that.
and the more advanced draw-functions are also surely coming in, but i thought for simplicity's  sake that a single 'pixel' drawing would be the easiest now.

thanks!

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »

This is some serious roof-making  you got here son.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »

i love to stay dry!
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »

Handling flat roofs (or rather flat sections of roof, allowing for trapezoid shapes) would probably be a sensible addition.

Unrelated, but the following roof doesn't render quite right:

layer 0
#######
#     #
#     #
#     #
#     #
#     #
#     #
#     #
#######

layer 1
 ######
 #    #
##    #
#     #
##    #
 #    #
 ######

layer 2
  #####
  #   #
###   #
#     #
###   #
  #   #
  #####

layer 3
   ####
   #  #
   #  #
####  #
   #  #
   #  #
   ####

layer 4
    ###
    # #
    # #
    # #
    # #
    # #
    ###

layer 5
     ##
     ##
     ##
     ##
     ##
     ##
     ##

Well, quite a few roof designs don't render quite right, but I think this one displays an error fairly clearly.  One of the walls of the part that sticks out to the left is being rendered as if it were closer to the camera than the main sloped roof.  I suspect other odd looking roofs I've seen are coming from a similar z-order error, probably.

It's generally rather nifty though.  I really should be asleep - hope this makes sense and even is useful.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »

this is very useful,
after a few days of trying out different sensible designs, i hoped someone else would make one!

if your absolutely sure wich tile doesn't render right, you could also write down the [this_level][lower_level][higher_level] variables, but in ascii is actually much better because then i'll probably understand what you wanted to achieve .

thank you very much !  Gentleman
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:49:29 AM »

Nice work. Here's a pic of some bugs:

I think the corners should be chopped off on certain squares?

Also some of the attachment bits are wrong depending on what roof is above.

Still though, if you're making fairly standard roofs it looks usually pretty good.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »

and this is the sort of feedback i was secrectly wishing for !

great, super! thanks alex.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 01:54:08 PM »

No problem. I've thought about it and the corner removal section is wrong - the corners are correct. Ignore that part!

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »

I already did  Wink
but in the 'first floor' - section your remarks are completely right (in that they're wrong Smiley)

gosh, as a sort of example i've picked up the sims2 at my brothers' i forgot how addictive it was, 2 days of possible advancements in my work gone  Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right , the roofing in that game is great though, and it got me thinking that the player doesn't want to build roofs! you want to build a building and choose from a few possible roof-solutions..
so eventually this program will make itself unnecesarry, it can only happen though when it's working correctly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic