Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:29:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCrystal Towers 2 - Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crystal Towers 2 - Demo  (Read 1526 times)
DavidN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »

I recently released a three-level demo of the platform game project I've been working on for a distressingly long time, Crystal Towers 2. The game has been "on its way" for nigh-on three years now, because I kept on going back to add more to the basic idea of the game or redesign it all on the way. (Take note, this is a bad idea.)

The game is a hub-based 2D platformer, where you have to gather items for completing levels and challenges. In this demo you can explore the lower levels of the Music Castle, collect orbs, gems and keys, and gather abilities to eventually defeat the boss through the gold teleport. The game uploads your progress automatically to an online scorecard (if you choose to do so), so that you can share your achievements in the game with other players of the demo.

This demo includes graphics by J Freude, Adam Lobacz, Hayo van Reek, Mike Woolman and possibly others as well - thanks to all of them!

Crystal Towers 2 Demo download page (with more screenshots)

Direct link to the demo

mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »

hey man, good to see you're still making games. i liked the first CT game, so i gave it look.

first of all, the presentation of the game is real slick -- the menu interface from the start of the game felt straight out of a console game. i would maybe have liked a shortcut key to switch between scaling modes and fullscreen modes though, as i spent the entire first 20 seconds just trying different key combinations to switch the game into fullscreen mode before i discovered the options menu.

the game plays like a combination between super mario bros, super mario 64, sonic, the underside, and oddly enough tony hawk. i think that the "combo" system is cool, and i can't help but hoping that later levels/later abilities will help the player maintain a combo, sort of like how the manual and reverts in the tony hawk games gave players the ability to chain together much longer combos.

i also really liked the idea and the atmosphere of the hub world -- but i did feel that its largeness mixed with the lack of very many landmarks did make me wonder if a map or more distinction between areas in the hub would've helped a bit.

the graphics are, for the most part, very clean, but some of the animations (particularly, those of the enemies) could definitely use a little bit of work. they aren't however, morally reprehensible, so it's not too big of a deal.

still, i enjoyed what i played of it.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:19:11 PM »

Whoaaa.  The scorecard stuff is really rad.  And I am also glad that you are still around making games.
DavidN
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »

Didn't mean for this to slip so far down before replying :/ Thanks for the in-depth commentary - I was surprised at the mention of Tony Hawk, but it's true that I did draw some inspiration for the combo display from there! The idea of being able to extend a combo when not in the air is an interesting one... another thing to add to the pile of ideas to have a crisis about ever finishing Smiley

The hub's going to be completely pulled apart and reworked with more landmarks for the full game (which I really have to do especially if it was easy to get lost in just the demo area). And somehow that full-screen mode does elude people...

It's been a while, but I'm going to finish it if it kills me!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic