Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:34:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAstro GP (now with VIDEO and info)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Astro GP (now with VIDEO and info)  (Read 3598 times)
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:13 AM »

UPDATE -> video footage below
After Magnetis (http://store.steampowered.com/app/37510/), a largely ignored puzzle game of ours, here's Yullaby's next game!

It's ASTRO GP, and it's kind of a mix of Micro Machines and Kuru Kuru Kururin. The game is at about 50% completion right now and it will be released this year on the PC and hopefully XBLA and/or PSN.

Development progress Feb/05/2010:

- Core gameplay is working and has been pratically since the beginning of development (about a year ago, but this was never full time).
- Many of the levels are in their final design state, a few still require tweaking
- We're currently in the process of benchmarking the hell of the finished tracks to determine what laptime is required on each of them to win bronze/silver/gold.
- We're also in the process of casting the best levels and leaving out those that are not as fun. (currently there are more than 60 challenge tracks, only 40 of which will remain)
- Art: lots of work yet to do, but this is on a steady track
- Audio: by yours truly, a few early songs exist, but most of the work has yet to be done. Style is gonna be fairly agressive fm-ish 8bit-esque metal thingy.

Rough game Info:

Astro GP is a racing game in which you fight against gravity. There are a load of different tracks on which to play, in 5 different environments. There's a STORY mode, and a TIME ATTACK mode. The former will probably feature different "missions" or will set different goals for each track/cup, while the latter allows will allow you to race against the clock alone or with up to 3 other players. The TIME ATTACK mode is the meat of the game, and contains 2 sets of tracks -> the RACE tracks used in the STORY mode, and the CHALLENGE tracks, which are custom designed to teach you certain skills or simply to annoy the shit out of you! Big Laff

Difficulty:

The game is easy to pick up but is shaping up to become very hard as you progress through tracks. It'll take you a whole lot of work to master the last packs of tracks. Easy games are for pussies.  Cool

Content:

- 7 characters/ships, each with different parameters
- around 25 race tracks
- around 40 challenge tracks
- + probably a few tracks unique to the story mode

Technology:

As for Magnetis, we're using a very powerful and convenient (and yet unknown) solution called gsFramework. It's an engine + authoring tool combo that is privately developed by some people we know. It's not available yet to the public, but should hit public beta this year. We can't tell much about it for now, except that we've been using it for quite some time now (more than a year and 3 projects, 2 of which have been released, the third being Astro GP) and can say with confidence that it's going to be a very serious competitor to the other solutions available now. More on this later.

Early ingame footage! (replay of a solo player lap):

This is early looking, there is no background (only the race track). The visuals are already more advanced than what you can see here. But this footage will give you an instantaneous understanding of the gameplay. (this camera angle is for replay only)

(if anyone can tell me how to embed a video in this post, the "embedded" link on Youtube doesn't work here)

Also, the old teaser:

Screen captures:

Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:09:07 AM by Ninomojo » Logged

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:48:21 AM »

Awesome  Kiss

It makes me think about the Dreamcast, which is a good thing. Thank god it's PC, I can play this!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »

Wow that is a gorgeous game.
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »

Thank god it's PC, I can play this!

Thank us, you mean. Smiley

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Really cute looks. Yes, it is pretty Sega-ish. I'd like to know how it's similar to Kuru Kuru Kururin, though.

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »

Really cute looks. Yes, it is pretty Sega-ish. I'd like to know how it's similar to Kuru Kuru Kururin, though.

Think Micro Machines with a gravity twist.

There's no Kuru Kuru like mechanic, but what could remind you of this game is the fact that the levels seem to be "levels made of level parts" even from the game world perspective (I mean the tracks and elements of level design on them aren't disguised as real objects from the game universe, but are instead made to look like level parts, just serving their purpose). Gosh excuse my English, this seems like a very complicated way to explain something really simple (that I'm sure you got anyway), but I just didn't think of a better way to explain it.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:02:01 AM »

This looks cool, I definitely get a kuru kuru kururin vibe from this, it also makes me think of titles like Swarmracer. I like the colours and artwork you've got going on too.

twitter: @docky
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 07:15:19 AM »

Awesome looks! Addicted

That Silver Jo is too damn badass, in a cute way.

Working on HeliBrawl
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »

this is amazingly byootiful, I just love the character artwork.

also, racing + gravity = Kiss

looking forward (fastforward) to playing it.

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:10:20 AM »

Thanks gentlemen !
Updated lots of info + video + game logo.

We'll probably recruit a few fine people for beta testing on these very forums, later.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »

Looks great! What programs do you use to make the music in the original trailer? If that's your beats, still great either way, and if not, what programs are you using, since your facebook says this is gonna be your best soundtrack yet, and im thirsty for tasty audio-cakes.

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

Looks great! What programs do you use to make the music in the original trailer? If that's your beats, still great either way, and if not, what programs are you using, since your facebook says this is gonna be your best soundtrack yet, and im thirsty for tasty audio-cakes.

I work with Cubase (Studio) 4 and a bunch of VST. Hypersonic 2 (discontinued synth) is used proficiently in Astro GP and Magnetis, and also Edge. Thank you for liking it. Smiley

gingerbeardman
Level 0

#agbic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »

What happened to this?

Daily Driver for Playdate https://www.patreon.com/dailydriver
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic