Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:51:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYou are a bunch of FREAKING AMATEURS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: You are a bunch of FREAKING AMATEURS  (Read 21629 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »

Oh no... I'm not going to GDC or on IRC... What am I gonna do?  Roll Eyes

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »

Oh no... I'm not going to GDC or on IRC... What am I gonna do?  Roll Eyes

Come to IRC!  or both!

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »

What happens if you are on IRC while at GDC?

BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »

You turn into Cliffy B

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »

I'm an amateur indie.

I'm so amateur, I... oh never mind.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »

Well I'm an amatuer groupie I guess.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »

The big difference is that indies are in it to make money and further business like a normal person, while amateurs are in it because they are deviants who care about things.

This is common all throughout the art (or 'design,' or whatever) world, as many of you know. Monet, for example, being a real artist, was known to invite hosts of people to his studio to view a nearly finished work, where he would prance around like a simpering cheerleader with parenting issues asking if there was anything about his paintings anyone found too difficult or simply wanted changed so they would 'like him more.'

You see, actually caring about things is dangerous for business. If people decided to start doing things they wanted instead of things we wanted them to do, we might lose the ability to take their money and give them nothing but shoddy, broken garbage in return.

And that, gentlemen, is unacceptable.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »

And that, gentlemen, is unacceptable.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »

Is that like, Nazi samurai M. Bison?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »

Show respect to the commisar, or dare to be executed as an example to the troops.

ie: It's an Imperial Guard Commisar, from Warhammer 40K. the particualr screenshot si from Dawn of War. Imperial Guard officers have a fame of totalitarian regime disguised in the form of patriotism to the Imperium of Man. A famous catchphrase goes mlike "it is better to die for the Emperor, than live for yourself"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:06:18 PM by Alevice » Logged

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 10:46:36 PM »

Is that like, Nazi samurai M. Bison?
To you, he is a samurai nazi.  But for him, it was Tuesday.

Dannobot on Twitter
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »

And Tuesday is Dress Like Nazi Samurai M. Bison Day at his place of work?

Are they hiring?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »

Quote from: several people
The commissar?
Der Kommissar!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 03:55:46 AM »

This article sounds somewhat like Steve Pavlina's old self-improvement articles. The word "indie" doesn't mean anything anyway. Well.. it should mean "independent", which means you're so loaded with money that you don't have to care any longer. Like Bungie. And maybe Bit-blot Grin

LThenton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 04:08:28 AM »

Nothing wrong with making money while caring about things.  People need money to live, and the best artists, writers, and craftsmen throughout history have been the people who devoted their entire lives to their work.  How can you devote your entire life to making games if you have to work a full-time job 9-5?

The bullet points in this article are really stupid, true, and he does an awful lot of generalizing and labeling, but a lot of the article itself is still pretty accurate.
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »

Lol, one of those frustrated and lonely IT managers again or what? Wink He tried really hard to label everything indeed, which is exactly where he fails. A shame because he's really spreading some misinformation there.  Tongue Roll Eyes

"Indies try to create buzz by launching a Flash-based website with game media releases; Amateurs try to create buzz by launching a Geocities site with lots of flashing blink tags"

That's só 1998-ish.... everybody knows you should go with Freewebs instead now. Wink  :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:57:23 AM by PHeMoX » Logged

"Fun is rule."
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 09:47:39 AM »

Oddly I didn't and don't do *any* of the things listed, either on the indie side or the amateur side. I suspect that's true of most of us here.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »

Nothing wrong with making money while caring about things.

Of course not, but personal development, working hard to achieve something you believe in, is occasionally at odds with income, in which case, what do you do?

As an example in computer world, don't forget Babbage bankrupted himself in his attempt to create the Analytical Engine, which he never finished as a result of his constant tweaking and adjusting of the design (sound familiar?), but he made computing history anyway for designing the first Turing complete computer years before Turing was even around. He cared about the accomplishment more than the money.

The fact is, while ideally everything worth accomplishing would be salable and reflect a reasonable turn on investment, this isn't always true. The question isn't whether it's okay to make money -- that's clearly a straw man version of the argument -- the question is whether you shelve the things you actually care about when it turns out they don't offer a return. I can't imagine venture capitalists would respond well if you told them you were looking for investment on an idea so ahead of its time no one would buy it.

The bullet points in this article are really stupid, true, and he does an awful lot of generalizing and labeling, but a lot of the article itself is still pretty accurate.

If the bullet points, generalizing and labelling are wrong, what is left in the article to be right?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
LThenton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »

Nothing wrong with making money while caring about things.

Of course not, but personal development, working hard to achieve something you believe in, is occasionally at odds with income, in which case, what do you do?

As an example in computer world, don't forget Babbage bankrupted himself in his attempt to create the Analytical Engine, which he never finished as a result of his constant tweaking and adjusting of the design (sound familiar?), but he made computing history anyway for designing the first Turing complete computer years before Turing was even around. He cared about the accomplishment more than the money.

The fact is, while ideally everything worth accomplishing would be salable and reflect a reasonable turn on investment, this isn't always true. The question isn't whether it's okay to make money -- that's clearly a straw man version of the argument -- the question is whether you shelve the things you actually care about when it turns out they don't offer a return. I can't imagine venture capitalists would respond well if you told them you were looking for investment on an idea so ahead of its time no one would buy it.

Well, it all depends on what you care about, doesn't it?  But seriously, I think there is a market to sell almost anything one could be really passionate about--it's just a matter of reaching it and expending enough effort on whatever you're creating that people actually think it's worth paying for.

Doesn't mean you'll get rich or famous doing it.  But why would you get into game development to get rich?

If the bullet points, generalizing and labelling are wrong, what is left in the article to be right?

Quite a bit actually.  In particular, I agree with the idea that somebody trying to create a salable product will typically expend much more effort in making it well-constructed and presentable, and in getting the word out about it to the market.
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »

Amateurs always choose... poorly.
Indies know that it should be the cup of a carpenter.

Dannobot on Twitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic