Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:12:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTowerClimb
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: TowerClimb  (Read 17172 times)
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

Argh! Give us some news...  Beg

It's coming along guys! Currently the game has double the content of the original alpha release, and a lot more polish and love has gone into it. I've also been working heavily on the soundtrack as of late, and every new level has its own theme.

In case you haven't seen, you can get the latest development updates on my blog: http://davioware.blogspot.com/

Anyways,
I'm really glad that some people are eagerly awaiting the next release, it motivates me! I'm having a great time working on this.

Keep an eye out for a closed beta in the future; I'll be holding one before the final release to try and catch any last minute bugs. I'm trying my hardest to make this a classic!  Beer!

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 04:20:38 AM »

Of course that I'm eagerly awaiting it, it's one of the best indie games. I thought the project was maybe dead but it's great to hear that everything is fine and the closed beta thing sounds good! I'll be sure to check out the blog.

Also guys it seems like nobody can beat my 4227 feet!  Well, hello there!
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »

Just got a few observations:

1.) There's no sound. I have no idea why, I don't even know if the game itself does have sound in the build you put up, but there's no music or anything. I think some good sound effects and background music would add to it greatly. If there already is some, then I've no idea why it's not working for me.

2.) Though most of the time the randomly generated levels work well and there's some way of going up, sometimes it's just extremely unfair, especially when it comes to the lava filling the room - it just seems way to quick. It fills faster than you can climb, and if you make a wrong turn and there's a sudden dead end, there's no time to get back to the opening.

Also, sometimes THIS can happen:

I had just died at 500 and something feet, and the instant I got back into the game there was literally no way for me to go.

3.) Some things aren't instantly clear as to what they do. For some reason, I thought that the potion guy was a spider, so I stayed clear of him at all times until recently - I only found out he was a potion maker when I wanted to see what the death would be from a big ass spider.

Also, when I gave a berry for a potion of jump, nothing happened. I'm not sure if there's some place or some thing I had to go/do to get it after, but it seemed to me that I just wasted a berry on nothing.

Saying this, it's a fantastic game, and I wish you the best of luck with it Smiley

Edit:

Okay, I just read the README file and found out about the inventory - totally didn't realize that before. Good to know.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:12:12 PM by AndroidScholar1 » Logged
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »

Hey AndroidScholar,

There is supposed to be sound and music in the game, so I don't know why you can't hear it. This is the first time I've ever head of this bug in over 7000 downloads, so it must be a problem on your end, did you unzip the archive before running the .exe? That's my geuss on what's causing it anyways...

This build of the game has a couple of known bugs, but is completely balanced and playable. The next build does clue the player in on the inventory a little more because many players initially overlook it.

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless.

Akonyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »

Leofrick has entered the tower at -5 feet.
TOWERCLIMB.exe has stopped working

aside from that, it's a fun game. I'm slightly confused as to why you can't jump while climbing up walls, but then can when you're at the top, it seems a tad inconsistent. I would recommend letting the player just climb to the top of a wall and then climb over without jumping, or alternately allow jumping/lunging from walls.

Also, you might want to put "W = inventory" on the title screen, after all you already have "x to climb" there. Putting one instruction makes me not think there's any other instructions, so I didn't have much of a reason to look at the README.

Other than that, really solid game, as someone who's always been into random generation, this game interests me a lot. Platformers especially, because they're a different problem than just making random top-down maps.
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »

Just stopping by to say that this game is still very alive and in development, for any who remember it. I'm extremely pleased with how it's coming along, and I'm aiming for release later this year. Nearly every suggestion has been taken into account, and the game features a lot more content, and improved gameplay.

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »

Yay! This is one of my favorite games on the site! Glad to see you're still working on it.
Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »

I'd really push for a way to eliminate the inventory.
I also can't ever exit the game.

EDIT
Sorry for the double post. I swore I clicked edit.

DOUBLEDIT for further articulation
By eliminate I mean, just show it on screen so you don't have sub menus.
Maybe just have the jumps stored up instead of activating the potion. Seems like too many actions.
I kinda don't like the teleport potion either. I think the relief of tension that the double jump provides is way better. And that's apart from the fact that you have to actually click to use the teleport which I kinda hate too.

Climb speed should be increased slightly as well.

Also. The first time I played it, however long ago, I made a lot more precarious jumps. Like from one side of the screen to the other. They were way exciting. I dunno if I was just lucky/unlucky or what, but I really really enjoyed them and haven't had any the times I played this week.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:58:23 PM by Kicks » Logged
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »

Very nice! Here are some suggestions; my apologies if they've already been presented!

1) Being able to jump while climbing

2) A pause feature

3) Slower lava Ehh, I guess you just have to get used to it!

4) The ability to climb from the ceiling to the wall extending from that ceiling, if that makes any sense...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:52:54 PM by lasttea999 » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »

Obviously, pause and exit are key, maybe an actual game over cycle with stats and so forth; but I doubt you need that explained to you. About the only other suggestions I can make, which seem to be prevalent:

Adjusting the dog/fox's animations - it tends to bonk it's head a lot in one-tile corridors (which is often, since a lot of the game's mechanics revolve around that sort of thing), and not move very far as a result - it seems to cancel it's horizontal speed/momentum when it does. Perhaps allowing a 1.5-tile across hop, within the single tile's worth of height, if a collision is detected at the peak of it's normal one.

Perhaps, if possible, adding ONE PIXEL to the base jumping height. This will make it possible (but very difficult/precise) to reach a 2nd tile of height to grab an edge; provided you can do so within your horizontal movement range, and some floor-based obstacles around the area could make doing so risky and exciting (and often a tragic end from miscalculation; a far better option than simply "don't even try, you can't make it regardless").

Have 4 (or however many) different shops, one for each potion. Then simply a "press up/down" to buy. This will eliminate the need (and distraction) for the menu. Also, click anywhere (during gameplay) to use the teleport potion (bypass the input) - now, that's the only mouse function (IIRC), and it streamlines the use of those. Add potion symbols and counters to the lower left (who's gonna look down?) for your inventory. Possibly, add a "beanstalk potion" that gives you a climbable surface for so many tiles (3-4 or so); or that could be used to block enemies. Or perhaps a "block creation" thing instead (like the opposite of a corrode).

Finally, the worms. Who says they can only go one direction, or for only one tile? Wink There's a lot of untapped fun potential with those boogers, there. And what if there were something similar to those, that was SAFE to contact?

BTW players: You can still Alt+F4 the app to close it.

1500 ft. and climbing Hand Shake Right Smiley Hand Shake Left

EDIT: BTW, is there a way to safely "climb down" without sliding at mach 7? I may be missing something here. (Do I have to press down before I release up?)

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »

Just played it for the first time, and i like it! Though i have to say climbing the walls gets cumbersome. You wind up spending most of the time just waiting for the little guy to climb up the wall. Maybe there could be some way for skilled players to speed up the climbing process, wall jumping or whatnot, at the risk of falling if you screw up the move.

And did you mention something about coop? Because that would be great. Though i dont know you would do that without split screen or netplay.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

I just got a new PC, so I finally had enough power to record a decent teaser.

It's been a while since I posted some news!

TEASER:

Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »

Working towards completion! If you like the alpha version in this thread, then you'll love the final game. It has better everything. EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:11:46 PM by Davioware » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »

Anticipation. Ant tis sipay-hay-shun.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »

The only thing I would recommend is changing the intro to say "Many men have dreamt of reaching the top" instead of "Many men have dreamt to reach the top."
I know that's grammatically correct and all, but it still somehow sounds wronger.

Can't wait for the finished game, tho. Really enjoyed the older version.

Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »

HD mockup. Not happening though. Animation would be hell.

Hevion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:30 AM »

played the game for awhile and i have got to say this is insanely awesome! i am addicted to it! what else do you think you will add to the final version? will there be like disposable weapons like in spelunky and stuff? awesome work keep it up.
hughperkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 01:51:41 AM »

I downloaded the game, and found it was for Windows.
- then I fired up a vm, and found it needed directx.
- then I downloaded and installed directx, and found that it needed a 3d graphics card, which my vm on my machine doesnt support, at least, not for directx

I suppose I'm trying to say, you might consider changing the icon for the thread to show that it is a Windows game :-P
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »

will there be like disposable weapons like in spelunky and stuff?

Hell yes. Smiley

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »

I'll chime in and say I'm looking forward to the full version. The original was pretty addictive stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic