Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:38:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPurple Rain
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Purple Rain  (Read 3497 times)
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »

Boring but informative video -->

a long post-mortem if anyone is interested -->
http://thunderware.blogspot.com/2009/12/purple-rain-postmortem.html

And to dload -->
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/shooter/purple-rain/2155/

Move with the mouse, and hold left mouse button to lock the direction your facing.

It's a lot smoother looking when you actually play it...

And it's vector art. Everybody loves vector art!

Oh, and everything is purple.

As far as feedback, I'd really like to know what anyone thinks about it. If it doesn't run, say something like "The Eagle flies to the North" so neither of us will be embarrassed. Or just say "Dude, your games broken." or "It won't run, but your post was nice!"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:25:47 PM by iamwhosiam » Logged
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »

Purple Rain, Purple Rain.
Purple Rain, Purple Rain.
Purple Rain, Purple Rain...
I only want to see you laughing in the purple rain.

Signed this movie out from the library a couple weeks ago, so amazing! Prince is rad... Erm... you were looking for feedback on your game? =)
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:34:11 AM »

"Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied (She's never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry"

Whoa, I need a cold shower.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »

Yowzas, me too man.
nickyrome
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »

Hey, whoa, I thought this was a discussion on the wonderful game 'Purple Rain'. I seemed to have stumbled into the wrong thread. I'll let you guys take your shower together.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »

Alll-right. So I finally fired this up to play but alas, XNA has the gall to accuse my Intel 950G graphics card of being insufficient. Alas, and _Sad_ _I_ _Be_, but I'll read the post-mortem at least. It seems rude to post entirely off-topic feedback and be too lazy to try out the game.

EDIT: post-mortem read. I like the idea of enemies that change tiers. However I think the real trick is that they should *increase* their tier when you shoot them. So for instance, imagine an enemy has four dots above it. These represent it's health, but also it's ability to morph. When you shoot it, it loses one dot but becomes more agile. This could be really interesting because every level could start out (rather cheekily) of simple, "0-tier" enemies that would be like eggs or something. As you shoot them, the level begins to open up and so on. Could be really interesting, though it strikes me that you'd have to avoid the strategy of just killing one enemy at a time. That seems easy enough if enemies can have a behaviour of opening up other enemies.

QUESTION: would you be really offended if I developed this idea (that I posted above, that comes from your idea) into a game?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:56:01 PM by PsySal » Logged
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:16:27 AM »

I'm really sick of xna, nothing I write with it works on anyone else's machine. Angry

No I wouldn't be offended, I'm glad that my idea inspired you! I myself did the exact same thing with TUMIKI Fighters. It gave me the idea for my game Sticky Situation.

I do have just a quick question though, please don't be offended yourself  Concerned

I looked up your video card and it should be able to handle everything I'm doing, Did you install Purple Rain or did you just run it? Cause I'm using features from the latest xna and if it not fully installed it won't work...

I've tried it on a number of people's machines and sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't. No idea why. It's very frustrating!!

Again I apologize if thats kinda rude.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:55:03 AM »

I'm not offended! I first tried it without installing, but in that case it crashed. So I did install it, and it seemed to install the XNA framework (one thing that XNA does have going for it, the installation of the framework itself is very painless) before running. This time it didn't crash, instead it said my card didn't support shaders 1.1.

That said, I *might* be wrong about the Intel 950G thing. I am pretty sure that's what it is but I could be wrong, it's on-board video for an old Dell P4 at any rate...
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »

Yeah the on-board graphics don't usually support shaders.

That sucks

Thanks for checking it out though.

Can't wait to see your game, hope I get a free copy when you finish it!  Beer!
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »

Fun time. I like the art style.

iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 05:13:49 AM »

sweet! thanks!
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »

I sketched out some ideas but didn't feel convinced, so I probably won't make the game. But if I do it'll almost surely be freeware...
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 04:00:44 AM »

very stylish, tis cool. i really liked how you can change the enemies' ai.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 04:05:23 AM »

Yeah it's installing XNA Framework. I hate this, I mean... why can't it be a self-running package?
(I'm not complaining with you, but with XNA, in fact I'm installing it right now)
Feedback to come..

gorgyme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »

Worked fine on my laptop when I installed it...

I quite like this, it's a fun little game that doesn't take forever to play.

The biggest problem I have with it is when I am firing and I want to spin 180 degrees in the other direction. It's not quite sensitive enough to pick up on my flip, and so I end up facing the same way again. It would be better I think if right click span you around.

The left click holding your in place is a brilliant move, it took me a few levels to work out that it existed, but from then on everything was a lot smoother.

I especially like the way that, despite you being relatively far into the game, it keeps on adding more. In the first few levels, you can easily clear the screen before the next wave. Each wave brings with it a new mix of harder enemies. Then, rather than just adding more enemies, you added enemies that fire things at you, which I found brilliant. I only got to level 6 enemies firing at you, which was something like wave 22 but it's definitely the sort of game I'd go back to to play again.
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 02:00:46 AM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic