Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:28:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)box2d extrem kinda fun stuff
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: box2d extrem kinda fun stuff  (Read 2038 times)
encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »

so i am playing around with box2d and think how would it be like to make some soft body physics models (there are quite a few out there). and found my self creating a set of circles in a circular pattern (the usual cos-sin equation).

i had 16 circles...
not enough

still not enough
good framerate

at this point it was just: no more joint systems and i really had to find out what my system can do. and the next logical step was to create a another circle to run trough them.

so i left the function at 124 and duplicated it another 10x4 times.
and here is what 5k balls (+1 big ball) look like (5 iterations).

how accurate box2d is?
if those upper and lower tales resemble a soft curve, i say it might have some scientific applications.

now i am rerunning the test with 60 iterations. if i don't post it in a few moments then i accept donations for a new PC. Tongue

god is an instance of a class. who is the coder?
encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »

still running on one code and eating up about 1/2Mb ram.
my advice:

don't ever ever never ever ever put this kinda shit in a game. not until 2020. Durr...?

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »

k.
the tails are finer and there is a clear shock-wave visible. however there is a lot of clustering, maybe due to the imprecise nature of double floats. it was fun playing with my ballz (5+ k of them), but now i get back to my soft body. the next thing i will try to rig something like a plate with breakable random strength joints simulating crystal based materia like metal, or diamond (if the joints are not so random). Cool

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic