Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:08:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesblatant clone of a nifflas game on the iphone
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: blatant clone of a nifflas game on the iphone  (Read 52330 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »

He's saying that Energy Harvest is a rip off of Auditorium, which is blatantly is.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:17 AM »

Oh, right, there I was wondering if they really made Auditorium. Glad to see I just misunderstood. But yeah, blatant rippers.

Notice how these are Flash games. It seems that they are somehow ripping original Flash games and reverse-engineering them, then changing the content with own. I wouldn't be surprised if you compared one and other to find most of lines being basically the same.

Not a suggestion, reverse-engineering copyrighted games is a bad thing to do, I am just speculating. Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:42:14 AM by Mipey » Logged
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:15 AM »

Trundle's a rip of Night Game/Night Sky (and not Tumbledrop) which isn't flash... and neither is Tumbledrop made in flash Wink

Still, it's completely possible to (at least partially) reverse engineer flash afaik, some game maker games I think, and some C#-based games (you can reverse engineer Eufloria pretty easily for example - it's neither encrypted or obfuscated), so I bet it has happened before.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2010, 03:45:26 AM »

Yeah, sorry, I was thinking about Tumbledrop when I was typing all that. My brains and fingers are totally out of sync. Which game was the ripoff of Tumbledrop again?

(Oh yeah, Unity game, not Flash. They both are played in browser, so hard to tell a difference if it wasn't for that Unity logo.)
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2010, 03:55:37 AM »

Yeah, it's hard to tell. There are multiple Tumbledrop ripoffs, some Flash and one iPhone one that I'm not sure got approved.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:15 AM »

Not adding anything, but just to say this makes me (aswell!) sick. And no, not just because someone's ripping off Nifflas  Tongue

Ripping off a "mainstream" game (hello! FF7 NES edition) is kinda pathetic, but deliberately ripping off an indie developer (who's only asked money for two of his games... one of which is yet to be released) is deeply pathetic and thoroughly poor-spirited.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2010, 05:33:07 AM »

Ripping off a "mainstream" game (hello! FF7 NES edition) is kinda pathetic
That's not a ripoff, it's a remake (or rather demake). There's no way anyone's going to confuse it with the original.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2010, 05:46:41 AM »

So Mobile Bros are just an outfit to take games and make dodgy knock-off versions?
Look at this horrible thing:

So I'm curious as to what the plagiarist defence force here thinks that Mobile Bros are bringing to the table. They're not designing games, and they're not doing anything with in terms of art. Nifflas unknowingly did the art in Trundle, and I bet even those pegs were stolen. They're just making horrible versions of other people's games.

If you're influenced by something then you should show some respect and steer clear of the same results.

twitter: @docky
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2010, 05:54:34 AM »

Yeah I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when I thought it was just one game, but it being coincidental gets exponentially less plausible with each ripoff they release, and they seem to have several. So, yeah, this is shitty, and will require justice sodomy to rectify.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2010, 06:01:57 AM »

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. (Pablo Picasso)

And he's done his share of stealing of idea's, copying other less-known artists style and becoming very rich and very famous with it Smiley
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. (Pablo Picasso)
And he's done his share of stealing of idea's, copying other less-known artists style and becoming very rich and very famous with it Smiley
I despise seeing this (unconfirmed) quote wheeled out as an smug excuse for laziness and plagiarism.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »

Videogames are an art form, and "heavy inspiration" happens all the time in art, have you seen a zombie movie? All zombie movie aer basically the same,  and yet they don't stop releasing new ones all the time.
The copier guy is full of shit, and his game is probably the equivalent of a B movie, but I wouldn't "call the lawyers" on him.
Also Nicalis should stop making buzz and hype and work faster on their games.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2010, 07:02:34 AM »

i despise people wheeling out accusations and non-facts because of their own lazyness.

i mean give it a go on google, you'll find it confirmed and furthermore stolen of others who said it before him.(ts eliot, and i. starvinski i believe)

well because iv'e already had to write this i've took the time and did all your work aswell
Google

good luck with it!
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:52 AM »

I believe the point is that Picasso still had a crap load of talent despite copying ideas and styles. Mobile Bros not so much, it would seem.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:17 AM »

i always interpreted that quote as someone making fun of the so-called great artists of the time; i.e. i think the point of that quote is that famous or successful artists steal from unknown ones, all the time, and that it's not a good thing

and yeah, the plagiarist defense squad is kinda bizarre to me, but usually it's just people arguing for the sake of arguing who didn't actually compare the two things closely and see how much was copied; a recent discussion of yoko kanno's plagiarism and cas's 'but is it newsworthy?' thread are other examples

of course, something like 30% of college papers are plagiarized in whole or in part (as in copied sentences and paragraphs word for word) according to a study i saw once, so when plagiarism is *that* common in the general population it's not surprising you'd have a lot of people defending it

either that or they can't make a clear mental distinction between new expressions of common ideas and copied expressions, and group the two together as if they were the same. seeing a picture of a dinosaur eating a robot and drawing your own version and calling it your own is fine, tracing that drawing and then claiming it as your own isn't

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2010, 07:12:59 AM »

Actually, reading some of the links that nikki linked to (and didn't read himself, it would seem), it seems to mean that an immature artist will simply copy another work, whereas a mature artist will "steal" it to take it to a new place. Here's the third link on the Google results:

http://www.businessofdesignonline.com/picasso-good-artists-copy/

So, yeah, it would be a good idea to try to understand the meaning of a quote before using it in a discussion.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »

There's still a difference between plagiarizing a certain portion of another work (which is what most of that Yoko Kanno stuff seemed to be) and making a carbon copy.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »

What's with all these ad hominum attacks, I thought you guys were better then that! Giggle

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2010, 07:39:08 AM »

i don't think there's a difference between copying a paragraph word for word and using it in your book and copying an entire book, the difference is only of degree, not type. plagiarism is plagiarism regardless of how much you copy.

also, i didn't mean what i wrote as an ad hominem attack, i meant it as a defense of the plagiarized defense squad -- i.e. i'm saying that the distinction between copying something word for word and copying an idea isn't an obvious distinction, it's a fine distinction that takes a lot of experience to understand. we aren't born knowing the difference, a lot of people actually don't see any difference between copying an idea and copying an implementation of an idea, even though there is a difference. i don't think it's insulting merely to say that people differ in how fine their distinctions are.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »

Eric, out of interest, do you think Mobile Bros's approach to game development is okay? What do you think they are bringing to games?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic