Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:42:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)ZagiZigi [beta release]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ZagiZigi [beta release]  (Read 13582 times)
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:02:27 AM »

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Heres the post with the download link

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

so on Saturday I realised this thing was open to folks beyond Montreal, so I figured I'd see what I could do in the time left :D

It's unity, almost code complete (I think, it may have some surprises for me yet) and I have it to the point where I can almost hand it over as a finished game, so everything I put in from here is all bonus really. I'm doing my best to make it polished before the deadline.

also the name is very likely to change, but might not depending on how long it will take me to make a title logo for it (wow I'm cutting things fine here)

anyhoo, I'll try and post more here, but for up-to-the minute progress I normally drop posts on my tumblr
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:16:09 PM by GirlFlash » Logged

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:32:38 AM »

I've been seeing the progress from your Twitter posts. It's coming along quickly! I hope that character ragdolls when she inevitably hits the walls. Hand Any Key 4 1/2 days left gogogo!

Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »

oh man, I really love your main character. good luck on the few days left!
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:36 AM »

I hope that character ragdolls when she inevitably hits the walls.

no ragdolls sorry, I just don't have the time and I've never done it before, plus its the type of game where you die a lot, anything that extends the time between death and respawn will eventually become frustrating Sad

anyhoo, here's a fresh screen:

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »

made the first sewer level :D

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »

Looks highly excellent. Amazing what one can do with a week.  Smiley
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:56:52 AM »

and it's been submitted!

it's not got quite everything I wanted to have (5 levels instead of 9 D:) but I'm happy with everything that's in there and I'm glad I didn't rush to add everything at the cost of quality.

when it comes web release time I can add all that other stuff then Smiley

jfroco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »

Hi GirlFlash,

Your game looks fantastic! I'm looking forward to playing it.

Best regards

JF
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »

so I got my email this morning, the game didn't make the cut but that's not getting me down, I learnt plenty working on it and seeing as I only spent a week on the thing in total it's not much of a loss at all. besides, the quality of even the other 'dropouts' is really brilliant :D, I dont mind being on the losing team when the team is so awesome Smiley

I'm not sure if I'll release the gamma version now or not, I plan to update it with a few more levels and cutscenes. plus the very cool flashygoodness has agreed to make some music for the game too.

what do you guys think, a quiet 'pre-release' version so you can play what there is, or would you rather wait till it's whole?

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »

I felt the same way, but I don't think there's any harm in doing the quiet release. It depends on if you think the feedback will help the final product.

Just do it!

Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

I wouldnt mind giving some feedback on on a "beta" release, if that's what you want. this one looks fun Smiley
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »

If this didnt make it I don't know what will.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »

ok then, release it I shall! (I guess I dont take much convincing lol)

we'll call this the beta release then (zip contains windows and OSX versions):

any and all feedback will be appreciated  Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:34:47 PM »

This is more fun than I thought it would be. Especially in the sewer levels. The adding of difficulty levels is a nice touch as well. Shame it didn't get picked, it's really fun.
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »

wow, the hardest difficulty level isnt playing around.

This has some real potential for some hardcore old-school action puzzles. I have to say I didn't finish the third or so sewer level, I really wish that there were not limited lives.
SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »

Thanks allen amd Katamaran Smiley

RE: lives, I will prolly get rid of them (or at least the game over if you run out). the only reason I have any was due to the five minute max playtime rule for Gamma.

I'm not a fan of playing the whole game over and over until you beat the last level anyway ^__^

and expect more levels like the sewer levels, theres alot of... well, quick route planning type gameplay stuff I wanted to include but ran out of time :D

ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »

WOW.  I almost stopped after playing through 1-2, thinking that it was all about just avoiding the walls in increasingly non-rectilinear hallways.  Thank goodness I didn't! In world 1-3 and later and I was having to decide between paths and think about which lines I needed to hit, which was really cool and much better than what 1-2 had me expecting!

I haven't made it past 2-3 yet (on normal.  I suck), but I'm enjoying it a lot!

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

Excellent work Sophie! Smiley This really came together nicely. I love the rooms with the two barriers on the walls, it almost starts to feel like VVVVVV at those points. The graphics and lighting are really effective. The only thing I wish is that the game had some large border on the floor near the walls, or a big gradient/dirtmap/AO, because this would greatly increase the amount of time you're given to react to turns.

It might sound odd, but I love your implementation of a one button name input - I've used terrible versions of this idea before, but your slow and release method works great!

Just tried it out on my mac. I was surprised at the limited resolution options available, considering the game seemed to run in widescreen regardless.  It would be nice if you could enable Esc as quit or something, as I had to cmd+Q to get out of the game.

Sorry that you didn't get into Gamma, but congratulations on getting the game together nevertheless! Smiley

twitter: @docky
OneSwitch.org.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:59 AM »

Hi Sophie,

You've got some really good ideas in there for one-switch / one-button play. Really impressed with your high-score name entry - very nice system.

Personally I'd have preferred a diagonal arrow for the diagonal corridors, or at least for the Easy level to be considerably slower. Would be great to open your game up to more disabled gamers with some kind of speed control/ option for slower games.

Would like it too if your difficulty select had the same slow down method as the high-score entry for players with slower reactions (hold to slow the selecter arrow - release to select). It's such a good system it would nice to have it used across the board in your game.

Really looking forward to seeing this developed a little futher I hope, with sound added too. Great work! Finally - would you mind me linking to your web-site and the final game from here: http://tiny.cc/MHIZl ?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 01:38:58 AM »

@ ExciteMike: I'm glad you like it! :D (and thanks for the twitter psoting <3) I will likely be scrapping the second level as it does put people off the game really quick, I think the diagonal space is just too tight. (it used to be tighter too lol)

@ Hayden Scott-Baron: felt like VVVVVV? you offer too much kindness sir! Embarrassed
you're totally right about the corridor floors, they arent helpful at all, but I recently figured out how to pull geometry from unity into blender so an AO map or some similar will be a piece of cake, consider something added! :D (oh, and I'll work on the quitting thing too)

@ OneSwitch.org.uk: diagonal corridors will likely get a cut, or as you suggest, a laser that rotates the input to match.

not sure how I would handle a speed control whilst maintaining the one button system without any anologue either, so I'll add a slower speed setting if you think that's a good idea Smiley oh and the difficulty select will definately have the hold to slow, release to select mechanism, I was just too lazy to implement it before submitting to gamma lol

and of course you are welcome to link once the game is done, I'll get in touch once there is a final version online Smiley

thanks for the very kind words and feedback guys, it's a big help  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic