Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:19:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)who uses blitzmax ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: who uses blitzmax ?  (Read 2199 times)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:46 AM »

well, what the title says..

and since when, and why?
I love it! And i've got the idea not so many people know about it (that aint right in my opinion, because it's just the best! Wizard)

iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »

I use to use blitz3d myself. The issue I had was the IDE was horrid. BlitzMax looks kinda tempting. Especially with the direct calls to openGL, thats cool.
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »

i used Blitz3D too in the past. I heard that Mark Sibly drop the project for bringing blitzmax 3D or something like it. I guess it frustrate a lot of use. At the time i used it there were so many conbullshit around it i just quit, plus i couln't do what i wanted with the blitz stuff... i hope things are better now

Available for Freelance
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »

I love it too.  I love its smoothness - in terms of timing, it has this rock solid feel I can't seem to get with other high-level languages.

I've used it for almost all my games.  I just wish the IDE was less pitiful on OSX...

StudioFortress
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »

Blitz3D was my first proper language which I used for about 1 to 2 years. After using other languages I now advise people not to use it, and have never used it since.

BMax however does solve most of my language issues with B3d; like how you can't make arrays on the fly, pass them into functions or return them. But after using the demo and reading around it my main issue has always been that's it's nothing special, especially since you need to pay. I don't see anything I can't get for free by chosing a more popular alternative.

My other issue is that the more popular alternatives also have bigger communities, more examples and help online and most importantly are more actively developed.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »

I use BlitzMax myself, it's pretty good besides the $80 price tag. Sad
Although, using a BASIC type language might off-put some people, obviously.

What personally bothers me though is that there's no way to draw sprites into a pixmap. Angry
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »

I use it for rapid prototyping and proof of concept work. Being able to make a playable game in one evening makes it invaluable for assessing your concepts.

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »

I use Game Maker myself, and I'm curious if there is any user here who has used both.. how do you compare them? They sound very similar (high-level language, easy of use, etc)

iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »

I'd say probably more people use game maker.

The way it integrates all the different aspects of making a game into one nice program is really nice.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 01:56:04 AM »

I'd say BMax was quite different TBH. 

GM is a game-making program with scripting, whereas BM is a sort of OO Java / C# / AS3 - type language (with BASIC syntax here and there) with game-making commands built-in.

GM will definitely be easier and more focussed on games.  BM is cross platform, capable of doing OS-GUI apps, and has a lot more low-level stuff - linking to C++, OpenGL is accessible... etc...

More people use GM because of the bad IDE and poorly supported community of BM - but it is a very stable language and quick to use when nothing goes wrong.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:30 AM »

i have used GM a few times, but a few years when i learned programming (in klik&play Beer!) and after that mmf, i started to hate these programming things that look like drawing programs. Mainly because everything was interpreted instead of compiled, and even more because i couldn't be asked to find a module for everything that's out of the box.

gm is surely something thats alot easier to start with though. So if its about making something thats easily doable in GM, i'd do it in GM..

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »

I'm still using Blitz3D, quick to have something running is my priorities as i HATE code. PLUS i like the idea that the documentatio is just one tab or F1 keys away. I have use ide like protean but were too annoying.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic