Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:25:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)XNA on PC - Better yet?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: XNA on PC - Better yet?  (Read 4221 times)
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »

I think he meant you lose players that are on linux or mac.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »

ANd people like me who don't want to download additionnal stuff or install games (I prefer Zip form)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »

yeah I don't like installing games. i like putting them in my OWN games folder, on an off drive, that I can take from computer to computer.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:57 AM »

Who cares if you're GIVING INTO TO THE MICRO$OFT MONOPOLY, use what works for you.

Hello, flamebait :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you have already developed a framework that works for you, sure use it. Otherwise, use another of the many excellent options and develop a multi-platform game while NOT giving in to the MS monopoly. You'll have just as pleasant a development experience with the extra satisfaction from knowing you're contributing to making the world a better place.

Oh, btw, let's jump to the inevitable conclusion immediately and call on Godwin now, so we can get on with the discussion: "If you benefited from it, who cares if it was the Nazi party you were part of". There, I invoke Godwin on my own post.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ravine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 05:41:49 AM »

I think he meant you lose players that are on linux or mac.
which may happens if one choose to use Game Maker, or Construct, or MMF. I mean, talking about XNA (for the case we're discussing) and arguing about the absence of cross platform is just silly. It's clearly a no-go for XNA here, and i just hope that it was not its point because that's just so obvious.

For a win pc target, XNA is still in course, and an interesting choice to consider.
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 06:23:10 AM »

I wouldn't go as far as to compare Microsoft to Nazis.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 05:51:47 AM »

I personally would like to able to distribute my game to friends in a zip folder and allow them to play it on any windows box they want, without having to download any libraries or anything. I found that when I used xna no-one had what was needed to be able to play it, but only other people who had the xna development kit.

Now, however I use c++ and opengl, which are already installed by default on windows machines and all I need to include is the SDL.dll library in the same folder as my game, and everybody can play it.

However, Its all subjective. I personally probably wont be developing for the xbox any time soon, but someone else may want the windows/xbox crossover.
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »

C# is a fantastic language, .NET an excellent library with the bonus that many(most?) already have it installed, and only need to once, and XNA is a fine game engine. Who cares if you're GIVING INTO TO THE MICRO$OFT MONOPOLY, use what works for you. When they come out with the, say, .COM framework, I for one won't mind installing it if it means it makes the programmer's lives easier and lets them get on with writing their game code easily and efficiently.

All lies. Use Obj-C and Apple products.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »

C# is a fantastic language, .NET an excellent library with the bonus that many(most?) already have it installed, and only need to once, and XNA is a fine game engine. Who cares if you're GIVING INTO TO THE MICRO$OFT MONOPOLY, use what works for you. When they come out with the, say, .COM framework, I for one won't mind installing it if it means it makes the programmer's lives easier and lets them get on with writing their game code easily and efficiently.

All lies truth. Use Burn Obj-C and Apple products.

fix'd
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic