Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:38:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJvsB
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JvsB  (Read 2352 times)
encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:58:59 AM »

jee vee ass bee for
Jelly versus Bots. (the real name will not be widely published just JVSB)

first things first:

Who M. I.
name: szeredai akos
hobbies: gaming, and.. gaming

social status: livin' with girlfriend, 2 cats, 2 parrots

JvsB

type: platform shooter

language: AS3 (flash player 10)

medium: web, mobile (touch, normal, when flash 10.1 is out), and possibly desktop via zinc or other quality/custom framework.

estimated time to develop: 2-3 weeks

the main character is a green blob. the green blob can move, jump by modifying it's surface tension, and shoot/devour their adversary. he can also turn into a heavy metallic ball rolling over enemies, the robots.

the robots are various types, constructed from multiple parts. there will be no legs in this game. the bots will "run" on one or multiple wheels. they will be stupid, heavily armored, carry gunz, and most importantly a fun to watch them disassemble on impact and die. damage control. i am planing on having about 6-10 type of these suckers and several bosses.

my main focus is to have some easy to medium complexity puzzles mainly based on physics and a decent action. also i am thinking of implementing a sense of power (big blob, many little bots to die) by introducing an enemy initially hard to eliminate and after a while make them come back in numbers and fall like rain in front of the more evolved blob.

monetization will be based on advert, most likely, that is if i don't get a good license offer. a premium version will be held back for the possibility of further licensing. and i have a link open, if one of you wants to get on board.

i am open to any suggestions, critique or ideas.

god is an instance of a class. who is the coder?
encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:13:10 AM »

UPDATE

the blob is alive and kicking, and just about that for the moment. i am working on a class that converts my graphics into point arrays. this is useful since i am just too damn lazy to program the levels bit by bit after i create the graphics for them. this lets me implement them with some ease into box2d's engine.

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

UPDATE

i managed to create the script but it just generated too many points and/or was too processy. it would have been an option to lower the precision,.. but that's not an option since:

the levels will be created from predefined element anyway, so i figured how it would be to store the vector data along with those elements. i really hate additional work when creating graphics in general.

next step: figure out how to make an 8 mile long level without overloading the physics engine and still look and behave credibly.

go for a smoke (which is bad for your health, not mine) and come back later,...
so i'm back.

get the obvious out of the way and cut to the real deal. when a portal (level segment) is activated the enemies and physical elements of the portal are created at run-time. when an enemy get near the limit of 2 portals a dependency is automatically created between the portals and they behave as one. also for processing reasons the enemies will b created from 1 piece, and - lets say - when the shield is blown down from the bot it will be physicalized, and destroyed/faded out after a while. and that for any mechanical carnage; for this idea i tend to make it extensive now.

here it is 1:15 am . so i go 2 sleep .

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »

UPDATE

so i figured how it would be to store the vector data along with those elements

the idea works like magic. both physicalisation and dephysicalisation. it is a great feeling when you implement an idea a and actually see it work. i might say: this is what indie is all about. besides that i managed to make the first steps on creating the mainframe of the game. there are a few classes for now, but their objects communicate like magic. the great sentence:

prototyping is over
development is begun

the character and at least one of the enemies are now the main focus. when i managed to port the character from the prototypes and set up the controls, i will get back with the next update.

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:50:37 AM »

UPDATE

it's been a while.
a had a little bit more to do at my full-time job so generally i always arrived tired at home. but the weekend is coming so it's time to get back on track.

this is still an update, since i managed to port the soft body from my prototype into the first level tile.
"box2d works best with small numbers" - how important this is? VERY important. i have a 1/1 ratio now and for some reasons i cannot exceed a certain speed, even with somewhat extraordinary forces. after my current movement speed and response i figured i need around 1/10 ratio, added some high speed projectiles, at least 1/20. so this is one of the things i will work on. i won't post the results, because it's clear what it's gonna be.

need to implement a main logic controller on the current setup to have a place where i can code armor, life, points, buffs and such. and as well as to extend my main class to more then 10 lines (UI, creation and destruction of played levels,...).

i have still failed to find a level-designer. and i really need someone for the next week. if there is someone who is interested, just contact me. this person needs to have basic AS3 knowledge (or not really, no,.. my bad) and some skillz with vector graphics. the colab will be based on revenue share.

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:44:05 AM »

UPDATE

a somewhat major setback. all things worked perfectly, the blob blobbed, the bot break-danced but it just ain't fun. technically looked good, dodging bullets and stuff but kinda had a deep envy, i had to fire myself some. however a super-goo firing bullets it's just too abstract.

decision was taken to abandon the 25 point soft body. so i 7zipped it.

i have taken the initial robot and made a player out of it (changed it's color to green except red). but not all was lost.

i had the problem with the distances (1px=1m) and such so i have written a little util to translate my display space to the physics space. so now with a simple change of a constant i van control the ratio.

cheers.
i'll might come back with a "demo" this week.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »

Can't you just show us something? I'm curious about your implementation of the jelly bodies in Flash.
MUST SEE!!

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 05:45:34 AM »

Can't you just show us something? I'm curious about your implementation of the jelly bodies in Flash.
MUST SEE!!

especially for you i will make an export Wink (after i get home today)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic