Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:54:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkArt Team Needed for a Full-Length Fantasy RPG! All Welcome!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Art Team Needed for a Full-Length Fantasy RPG! All Welcome!  (Read 6066 times)
wolftriplex
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »

Hiya everyone! Thanks for taking a look at my request! Now, one thing I see myself as is a designer and not so much of an artist. Now, this request is gonna be a loooooooong one, only because there's so much help I need, I don't think only one person can do it, unless one person can, that'll be kind of awesome!

Now, on with the juicy details! I have a demo of a game I recently made and I'm in the process of improving it's worth bit by bit. The demo is approximately 5 hours long. Heck, if I had the sheer desire to, I could work on the art all by myself, but the fact of the matter is, doing it all on my own isn't that fun, especially if in the real world of game designing, your working with a team anyways! That's why I'm asking for help so I can get a sense of how it feels to work in a team!

Now, you might be asking, why waste my time with this project? What's this one got that others or my own don't? The truth of the matter is this project is probably no better than what everyone else can offer to the world! In fact, think of it this way. Everyone, big or small, had to start off somewhere, working on a smaller project that wasn't exactly what they wanted. You have bigger and better projects waiting to be made and this one could just be your first project and maybe a big start!

If you want to take a look of the game demo first, here's a link!

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1683/

Table of Contents

1. Character Artist
2. Sprite Artist
    a. Outside of Battle Character Animation
    b. Inside Battle Character Animation
3. Battle Animations
4. Title Screen
5. Titlesets
6. Background Art
7. Battle Backdrops
8. Menu's
9. Movie Animations

1. Character Artist

The first thing I would like is an Character Artist, someone who can draw Anthro art. A great example of this is like this picture below.

The Character Artist will not only make full body pictures, but they'll also make three quarter shots of characters. These shots will be in dialogue boxes to show emotion outside of a Movie. They will be two framed animations, one frame with mouth closed and one with mouth opened. Below is an example of where the cut off is for each character art for each.

2. Sprite Artist

a. Outside of Battle Character Animation

This Artist will be working on animations of the characters inside and outside of battle. The first type of character animation is outside of battle. Below is the template.

This template will be all one character's animation. Each character's set will consist of different postures for different emotions, such as a bouncing animation for a Happy animation.

b. Inside Battle Character Animation

The Character animations will be each battle animation the character or enemy will pull off in each situation, such as using a specific skill, when the character's poisoned, when the character is confused, an idle state, and so on and so forth. Here is an example of a the Sprite Sheet.

3. Battle Animations

This will be animations that are used for skills, such as a fireball or a tornado. Here's an example of a skill.

4. Title Screen

Like all games, there is a title screen. Some have just a picture while some have an animation. These letters will be in the front, each letter having an animation go off, like the L spewing fire or the first E wiggling like water and so on and forth.

The background will have a pan view of the world, 2-D of course, but that will be in another section.

5. Titlesets

These tilesets will mimic Donkey Kong Country 2. These are what the levels will similarly look like.

Although because of the program tileset size, the size will be smaller and not look as awesome. This is the program's tile size.

6. Background and Foreground Art

This is the background art and foreground art inside each course. A perfect example is Donkey Kong Country 2. Here's the example!

As you can see, the ocean and sky is in the background while the cannons is in the foreground. If you want a more recent example, here's art from Odin Sphere.

7. Battle Backdrops

This is the background inside the battle where the characters and enemies will reside on. Here's an example.

There will be one of these in each new battle area, such as a forest or a cave.

8. Menu's

There are a lot of customizable menu's on the game, such as a Blacksmith, Pause Menu, Tournament Brackets, Farming, Save Menu, ect. For inspiration, here's an example of a customizable menu.

9. Movie Animations

These can be anywhere from the opening animation or the movies of serious moments. Here's a perfect example.

These can be made on any program, as long as it's saved as an AVI. Another good example of movie scenes is from Odin Sphere.

Conclusion

This is all I can think of right now and I know it's a long list, but if you want to help, it would be appreciated! Thank you very much for your cooperation and I hope to hear from anyone soon and see your wonderful talent!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:55:12 AM by wolftriplex » Logged
Vectorboy
Level 0

It's so FLUFFY!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:25:15 PM »

Now, this may not have quite the same impact with my being a new guy around here. But asking people to voluntarily do all the art for your personal idea when you've only made seven posts on the forums is a little on the cheeky side  Tongue.

Additionally, if you want to have any chance at all of people actually devoting their time to making pretty pictures for you, you're going to have to explain your game idea a lot more clearly than: "Generic JRPG with anthro characters". You can't expect people to be passionate about an idea they know nothing about, and especially not passionate enough to make art for you without pay.

Furthermore, I will be thoroughly shocked if you can find artists willing to work on this, even if you explain more clearly. We all have our own ideas that we'd like to see come to fruition, and frankly, I'm not in a hurry to realise anyone else's game ideas for free when I have dozens of them myself. Most of the people around here, whether artists, musicians or programmers, also consider themselves designers.

Why don't you either try to trim your idea down to a point where you yourself can make art for it? If that doesn't work out, how about putting this idea on the shelf, and working on some other smaller projects that you can single handedly create?

Right, I think I've waffled on for more than long enough.
Jrsquee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:42 PM »

Question: why would I spend my time doing this? there's a friggin' buttload of work.

Why don't you either try to trim your idea down to a point where you yourself can make art for it? If that doesn't work out, how about putting this idea on the shelf, and working on some other smaller projects that you can single handedly create?

[edit] I mean "why" as in "please try to sell this to me" so I don't feel like I would be doing tons of work for free
wolftriplex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:40:13 AM »

I guess you guys have a good point! Then allow me to trim it down a bit for everyone! Thank you for you humble advice! I've just been a little worked up lately about seeing all these great, full length team projects come out that I haven't even realized that they themselves worked small! Thank you again for your advice! I shall update this!
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »

Any luck yet? I find that offering some monetary compensation (even if you can't afford to pay all that much) can do a lot to draw in reliable artists. And frankly, given how much time and effort it's going to require to create all the art assets you're asking for up there, it's probably just good manners to offer. Shrug

wolftriplex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »

Good idea! Hmm, I'll have to think about this for a little more n_n! I'm a noob at all this by the way, so I guess I need to rethink my motives!
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »

This project would be a good experience for any aspiring game developer (artist). Not that I am personally interested, not being an artist myself, however I hate to see such a promising project go to a waste due to lack of interest.

Good luck!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:42 PM »

I like your enthusiasm! I wish I could try out your demo, but it does not work on Linux.  Sad

If you do not manage to find anyone, I suggest trying your hand at the art yourself. After all: everyone, big or small, had to start off somewhere.  Wink

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic