Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:19:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you guys find time to LISTEN to music?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Do you guys find time to LISTEN to music?  (Read 12243 times)
tyrbjorn
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »

hey... i apologize for the hastily-titled thread, but i was wondering what everyone on the board listens to? (besides your mothers pleading for you to GET JOBS!!! j/k)

well, i went to the recent Secret Chiefs III/Sleepytime Gorilla Museum show at the urban lounge, and it was out of control!

anyway, my music collection has been packed with:

SC3
SGM
buckethead
thanatopsis
radiohead
bill laswell
johnny cash
primus
C2B3
Mr. Bungle (probably my favorite)
sublime
hiero/souls of mischief
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:00:01 AM »

Mostly OverClocked Remixes (Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy)

Also, electronic music, and local music you all probably have never heard

Yeah, kill me Wink

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:04:42 AM »

currently mainly nightwish, alan stivel, laibach, iron maiden,...

Bebop
Level 0

Space Monkey Rocks

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »

I kinda like lotsa stuff. One of my favs is DJ Shadow-Endtroducing

Shinji16
Level 0

That stupid Bemani kid...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »

Oh dear God the stuff I listen to... Um...

A lot of video game music, most stuff you've probably not heard (such as piano arrangements, special live performances, or just a really eccentric game, etc), four string quartet tributes, trance, epic trance, rock, industrial, classical, soundtrack, jazz, blue grass, nerdcore, and so on.

I listen to a lot of Bemani music, mainly, along with some of my own stuff, although that's very rare. My playlists are usually only 3-5 songs long. The tracks I've been listening to lately are Mindless Self Indulgence's "Shut me up", a remix of 100-200-400's (yes that's the artist) "Fascination Maxx" called "Cally and Juice's Maxximum Overload Mix", "Fascination -eternal love mix-", and Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" and "Headlock". Sometimes Dethklok creeps in there too...

Smile - life is good!
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:49:21 AM »

Woo! Mr Bungle's California is ace! Smiley

Personally I listen to stuff which most other people find awful, like Barenaked Ladies, Del Amitri, The Divine Comedy, Butterfly Boucher, Meat Loaf, Jellyfish and loads of remixes from Kwed.Org.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:52:28 AM »

The Police; Grandaddy; Orbital; King Oliver & his Dixie Syncopators; Belle & Sebastian; Iron & Wine; assorted funk & hip hop; some ambient stuff.

Haven't had time/will recently to get into new stuff.

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »

As well as being obsessive about video games, I'm also obsessive about indie music to the point of contributing to a blog. I also find time to write some stuff. It's pretty good fun.

Do I smell a last.fm TIGSource group coming up?

Last release: sync::routine
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »

A friend of mine suggested that most programmers in games tend to fall in to 2 catagories of music listening.  Group A primarily likes heavy rock.  Group B primarily likes weird electronic music.  Sure, it's not 100% accurate, but it's interesting.

I'm in the weird electronic group, with some crossover.  I've been fascinated at one time or another with Prodigy, Crystal Method, Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Haujobb, Infected Mushroom, Dark Soho, Celldweller, Machinae Supremacy, Man or Astroman?, Mars Volta, Joe Satriani, End, The FlashBulb, chiptunes, anything on the SID, and everything in between.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:28:29 PM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »

OverClocked Remixes (Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy)
Grandaddy; assorted funk & hip hop; some ambient stuff.
In addition to the above,
They Might Be Giants, Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Dragonforce, Skindred, Saul Williams, some other spoken word poets, Thursday, Dose One, Klashnekoff, Rammstein, DJ Tiesto, Wierd Al, Muse, and Basement Jaxxxxxxxxxx...I think thats a few too many x's.

Anyway, yeah, wide assortment of music. I'll listen to pretty much anything. But Grandaddy and Saul Williams are my current favorites.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 04:01:11 PM »

good amount of electronica, mostly downtempo. I've also amassed a ton of game soundtracks and remixes that find steady rotation. I listen the crap out of the EVE: Online soundtrack but still love a good Megaman/Metroid track thrown in.

Overly lyrical stuff doesn't work for me when I'm coding tho, cause I'm completely unable to separate the music from the thoughts in my own head  Shocked

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »

Haha, TMBG. Awesome band. So fucking good live. Some of my favourite music.

Dragonforce, sweet. Infected Mushroom, splendid stuff.

Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »

Listening to a lot of stuff from http://www.micromusic.net these days. Also oddness like Autechre, Lusine Icl, Boards of Canada, Mu-ziq, Jega, Isan, Gescom, Bola, Plaid, Lektrogirl, etc. This spring I'll get a new remix.kwed.org mix done up for the car. Smiley
Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »

Black Sabbath,Led Zeppelin,Slayer (someone's gotta represent),Om,Sleep,Melvins,Thrones,Boris,Hawkwind.
I like metal.(I play guitar in a metal band). Oh, and Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos. Seriously. It's totally good.
Oh, I like The Rolling Stones too.
Kraftwerk!
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 10:13:15 PM »

I think PoV's hypothesis is being proven Tongue

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 02:58:31 AM »

I actually don't have time to listen to music these days. Also, all my music is on vinyl and all my records have been transferred back to New Zealand in preparation for our eventual return home.

But if I did, there's a fair bit of jazz (of the Miles Davis variety), funk (of the electric Herbie Hancock variety), a whole bunch of Iggy Pop records, old-school rap music, a bit of punk, some Lee Perry, and minimalist post-rock/math rock like Shellac and Trans Am.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 03:26:31 AM »

A friend of mine suggested that most programmers in games tend to fall in to 2 catagories of music listening.  Group A primarily likes heavy rock.  Group B primarily likes weird electronic music.  Sure, it's not 100% accurate, but it's interesting.

I guess I'd be in the A group, then. But I do enjoy electronic music as well (I don't know why, but I just love the weird, experimental sound of the Clean Asia soundtrack).

I listen to pretty much everything in the hard rock/metal genre. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Korn, Slayer, AC/DC, Motörhead, Deep Purple, Nirvana, Machinae Supremacy, System of a Down, Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine are among my favourites. I also have a sick devotion to chip music Smiley

Chainsaw surgery.
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 03:56:16 AM »

Huh. I think I have fairly broad tastes:

Jurrassic 5, DJ Format, Boards of Canada, Mouse on Mars, Mogwai, The Hives, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, Queens of the Stone Age, Air, Lemon Jelly, Gnarls Barkley, Audio Bullies, Dandy Warhols, Weezer, Daft Ounk, Flaming Lips, Interpol, Muse, Mcklusky, Violent Femmes, Joy Division.

So, erm. Indie rock and electronica, then, with a smattering of B-Boy breaks and oldschool hiphop. Not as broad as I thought, after all.

I also can't stop listening to comedy: Stewart Lee, Richard Herring, Armando Ianucci, Peter Baynham, Chris Morris.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »

Woo! Mr Bungle's California is ace! Smiley

Disco Volante is the superior product. But it is much more bizarre.

Oddbob
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »

Listening to a lot of stuff from http://www.micromusic.net these days. Also oddness like Autechre, Lusine Icl, Boards of Canada, Mu-ziq, Jega, Isan, Gescom, Bola, Plaid, Lektrogirl, etc. This spring I'll get a new remix.kwed.org mix done up for the car. Smiley

If you like BoC, you *really* should check out Redpoint Smiley

Back on an industrial tip lately, although I'm still waiting for my copy of the new Jesu album to land - throw in a bit of Neko Case, Will Oldham, Stuart Staples to balance out the grind, and the odd bit of cracking pop - and a fair plundering of the Luke Haines/Auteurs/Baader Meinhoff/BBR back catalogue. Oh, and the last TV On The Radio album is certainly hitting the right spots.

Meh, too eclectic for my own good really :-)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic