Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:27:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBeulah & the Hundred Birds
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Beulah & the Hundred Birds  (Read 1800 times)
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »

http://dai5ychain.net/beulah/

I made one Assemblee game but all those beautiful graphics just kept calling to me, so I made another using some sprites & tiles by pgil and again the blue bird from rpmoura.

This is a short exploration-style game, which was also inspired by the current Experimental Gameplay Project theme, '100 things.'  I made it using Flixel & the complete source code is available here - http://bitbucket.org/jakevsrobots/beulah-and-the-hundred-birds/

The music & sound I made myself; music in Ableton Live & sound effects in sfxr (just mashing the mutate button really Wink ).

This is just my second finished game, so I really appreciate your feedback however blunt!

Thanks for playing!

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »

First of all congratulations on your second finished game, cause i haven't finished anything yet Tongue I'm pretty tired now, so maybe that's a reason, but i find the platforms and caves in your game pretty annoying. You have to keep smashing the jump button to advance on almost every single square. I think you must take a little more time working on level design, and make some challenges. Maybe puzzles which need the bird to be solved, this kind of stuff. If you wanna keep on the actual gameplay, just work a little bit more on that platforms Wink

The graphic desing was beautiful, with that birds of different colors and stuff, i liked it. But the caves (again) were repeating as hell.

Well, i hope i'd been of help. Keep on the good work and good luck with your games ^^

PS: Sorry about my english, as i said i'm pretty tired now. I hope i made my point.

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »

I think the idea of the birds and how they join Beulah is pure magic. Some minuses though were that I found the platform design in the caves too disjointed (lots of platforms kind of jumbled up, single blocks and so on added to the messy feeling). Also the caves visually don't compare with the birds as the caves are relatively nondescript. The bird flocking seemed too extreme/fast when a few birds got in the mix. Maybe tone that down or tighten up the bird's distance around the player a bit more. I also agree with Maikel_Ortega's points.
racter
Level 0

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:35:08 PM »

i find the platforms and caves in your game pretty annoying. You have to keep smashing the jump button to advance on almost every single square.

Thanks, that's a really clarifying critique -- it makes me think about an economy or balance between labor+reward for the player.  I can definitely see now that there are these long sections in the caves that require a lot of interaction from the player without rewarding them by either significant forward progress or satisfaction from overcoming some challenge.

Thanks both for playing & offering your thoughts!

Jake Elliott / Cardboard Computer. Recent games: We Were You | Ruins
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »

I like how you can see your objective right at the beginning of the game (the locked doors to the left).  I was able to figure out right away that I would be on a quest to find different colored keys to eventually open those doors and win the game.  On a game-design note, it was also interesting that you could not land just anywhere.  That feature could easily be used to make some fun puzzles.

Flying felt nice and smooth, and it was easy to collect all of the birds (being able to collect a bird by having one of your birds collide with it helped as well).  However, while moving on the ground it felt like my character was wading through molasses.  I was getting a headache trying to jump on the platforms, particularly in the caves.

Getting all of the kids(?) on the birds was a bit of a challenge, but I don't think it ruined the game (just fly so that all of your birds bunch up and swoop down).

pgil
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »

Playing this game makes me happy Kiss
Love how the music changes over time.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »

I thought it was really cool. I loved collecting the huge flock of birds. I think it would be cool if they had some sort of flocking AI, at the moment they appear to bounce of walls. I wasn't a big fan of it fading to white at the end, as it was hard to see. I really enjoyed it overall. It was a fun little game! Nice work!  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »

I'm really digging that art!  I can't wait to try it once I get home later.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic