Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:14:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPoopie... now I have the sad face.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Poopie... now I have the sad face.  (Read 8066 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »

So... I've been playing No More Heroes 2 since Friday (no it's not out in Europe yet, don't ask*  Who, Me?) and because I don't feel like writing cohesively at the moment, here's a list of my impressions:

• Core gameplay is much the same as the first one, with a few subtle improvements
  • Characters and bosses are even whackier (I don't wanna spoil anything here)
  • Bosses are also more diverse in terms of gameplay
  • Half-assed "open world" bullshit of the first game has been replaced with location selection menu in the style of recent JRPGs
  • Boring minigames have been replaced with mostly awesome 8-bit minigames
  • Gym is now both more challenging and more homoerotic
  • Story is slightly more serious, but only slightly
  • Sexual innuendo bar has been raised a few notches and made its way to the HUD
  • Different weapons that handle differently
  • Minigame probably paying hommage to Touhou
  • Mecha battle
  • Improvment over the already awesome first game but not much different

Conclusion: It's awesome, get it! 666/10

2017: Actually, the game sucks.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:38:18 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
falsion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »

If it's awesome, then why are you sad? Undecided
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »

If it's awesome, then why are you sad? Undecided
The title is an actual line of dialog from the game. I couldn't be happier.  Cheesy
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »

I've wanted to buy the first for a while but never got around to it, but since everyone says this is an improvement, I'm wondering if I should skip it and just get this. Will I be too lost?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »

I've wanted to buy the first for a while but never got around to it, but since everyone says this is an improvement, I'm wondering if I should skip it and just get this. Will I be too lost?
Nope. They even make a fourth-wall-breaking reference to it in the intro cutscene.  Wink
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »

Yeah I was pretty darn confused with that cutscene.

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »

I have been playing it as well; it is, indeed, awesome. In the Biblical sense, in parts.

I would also recommend the first game, if you haven't played it. It has flaws, like the "open-world bullshit" and "boring minigames," although I didn't think the latter were that boring, but here's the thing: they're completely deliberate and justified. This is why I love Suda51.

I could write pages and pages about it, but what it boils down to is this: The main character, Travis, is a nerd/otaku of the highest order. He is, as far as I can tell, supposed to represent John Q. Anygamer. The first game has an "open city" to "explore," but there's nothing to actually DO except the half-dozen or so things Travis is interested in: stop by the video store, look for upgraded weapons, train at the gym. Other than that, he has his jobs - which are a bit boring, because jobs are what you have to do when you're not doing fun stuff, just like Travis. You can say that putting something in a game that's not fun is bad design; I can see both points of view. But playing a Suda51 game is like playing an ascended, slightly more focused Vasily Zotov game. A lot of it all MEANS something, and that takes precedence. Yet it's all enjoyable in itself.

Also NMH2 has a big floppy dong that stands proudly when you have full power, but looks sadly at you when you need to charge up your weapon. Just sayin'.
gunmaggot
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »

This year is already better than last year for games.  Bayonetta, NMH2, Mass Effect 2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom ... fun times.  Hoping Aliens vs Predator doesn't suck.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:07:47 AM »

Also NMH2 has a big floppy dong that stands proudly when you have full power, but looks sadly at you when you need to charge up your weapon. Just sayin'.
Not to mention it has a smiley face.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:19:38 AM »

I really want to play this, but I've got to take a short break after finishing Bayonetta first. Human mind can only handle so much over-the-top stylized action games with crazy stories before it explodes*.

*unless you're Japanese

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:19 AM »

I would also recommend the first game, if you haven't played it. It has flaws, like the "open-world bullshit" and "boring minigames," although I didn't think the latter were that boring, but here's the thing: they're completely deliberate and justified. This is why I love Suda51.

See i watched a friend play the first, and i don't get this. Parts of it looked awesome, but the open world stuff and mini games looked just awful. You say that they were deliberate and justified? How are the justified? Crappy gameplay is crappy gameplay. I have watched a preview of 2 and the minigames look better, although apparently they have "intentionally bad controls". Why the hell?! The rest of the game looks so awesome but this is what's putting me off getting it. I don't have that much time to play games these days, and the idea that i'd have to grind for cash doing minigames that are intentionally boring and repetitive just seems ridiculous. The fact that you said they are awesome, is that awesome because they are fun? Or awesome because they are 8 bit.

No release date that i can find for the uk, so i guess i have some time to make up my mind!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:12 AM »

I have watched a preview of 2 and the minigames look better, although apparently they have "intentionally bad controls". Why the hell?! The rest of the game looks so awesome but this is what's putting me off getting it. I don't have that much time to play games these days, and the idea that i'd have to grind for cash doing minigames that are intentionally boring and repetitive just seems ridiculous. The fact that you said they are awesome, is that awesome because they are fun? Or awesome because they are 8 bit.

No release date that i can find for the uk, so i guess i have some time to make up my mind!
More than half of the minigames in NMH2 are genuinely fun and challenging and none have intentionally bad controls, where did you get that from? Also, the "entry fees" of the first game have been abolished, the money is now exclusively used to buy entirely optional upgrades (and clothing), and when I say entirely optional, I mean it.

Speaking of that, I thought the difficulty was right there. The game is challenging enough to not let you get away with simply mashing the attack button, but if you know what you're doing you should be able to defeat most bosses on your first try. The difficulty curve is a bit uneven though.

TL;DR version: NMH2 has been reduced to the "awesome" bits of the first game.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:18:22 AM »

I got the "intentionally bad" controls from watching the giant bomb quicklook. Maybe i was reading more into it than needed. Everything else you just said makes me totally want this game now, which is a shame as i can't get it yet!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »

I've heard that they shaved all the jaggy bits off and made a game that follows more inline with mainstream games, sacrificing what made the first one more unique and quirky

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »

I've heard that they shaved all the jaggy bits off and made a game that follows more inline with mainstream games, sacrificing what made the first one more unique and quirky
They cut out most of the intentionally un-fun gameplay, but the characters and dialog are weird as ever. So yeah, it's less quirky than the first one, but it's still a pretty far cry from selling out to the God Of War crowd.

I remember when NMH1 came out, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as surreal as Killer7. I still think that's Suda's best game.
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 06:53:05 PM »

Haha, I just beat Killer 7 for the first time five minutes ago. Holy shit. I thought it would all make sense at the end, and in a way it kind of does, but I have way more questions than I did earlier.

Kramlack
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »

Naomi. Naomi. Naomi. Naomi.

Crazy
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

Just beat it, and I'd say I have to agree.
But it's still an absolute blast.

Also...you know in the manual for NMH1 it said Naomi had a dark secret?

Well GUESS WHAT?  Cheesy
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »

I got the "intentionally bad" controls from watching the giant bomb quicklook. Maybe i was reading more into it than needed. Everything else you just said makes me totally want this game now, which is a shame as i can't get it yet!
The controls in that particular game they played actually don't really suck at all.  Surely you've noticed that the Giant Bomb dudes sometimes are just bad at the games they play.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 07:50:06 AM »

I dunno man. The kotaku review pretty much ripped a hole in the 8 bit games too, as well as the fact that the areas leading to bosses are according to them no fun. Obviously you gotta take reviews from sources like those with a pinch of salt, but it's definitely a point that i've seen in a few places now. The upside is you don't actually need to do the side games if you don't like them i guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic