Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:45:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOperator; Global Game Jam Calgary
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Operator; Global Game Jam Calgary  (Read 2770 times)
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »

Presented by: Team Loud

GGJ-2010 Achievements: 
Instant Online Gratification Game
Singing the Body Electric
Over Achiever
Community Game

PLAY NOW

Jammers;
Stacked team
Chevy-Ray Johnston (programming and menu art)
Matt Thorson (programming and music)
Greg Whistance-Smith (level design and game design)
Calvin French (programming)
Derek Boe (in-game art)
Johnathon Meret (in-game art and help)

Framework: Flashpunk

Theme: Deception
Sub-category options: A Trade, a raid, or a maid. ( we went with all 3 )
Players: 2 players - 1 operator

A fast-paced party game where two players, the Eaty Guys, must duke it out in an arena to out-eat one another.
The twist? Enter player 3, Operator. The arena are full of deceiving tricks and perils, and only the Operator knows what these are, resulting in a psychological (and laughable) triangle of trust and deceit to the last eat!
Eat, regurgitate, eat, die.

Some level glitches here and there, not enough test time during dev...

(lol I see a tiling error on my part)

Played locally on one computer, one keyboard, no gimmicks required.
Live in the day-long life of the Eaty Mans.

Controls
WASD and arrow keys

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:40:13 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

Noooooooo! I don't have three players!  Cry
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »

FUCK YEAH

This was so much fun! Plus it was a sort of trial by fire for my visual editor and it seemed to work pretty well.

I'll post the soundtrack as soon as I can get the tracks back from Chevy.

Edit: Hah, the music is totally not supposed to restart after each round.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:13 PM »

Sooo much fun making this with you guys =) I feel pumped about making games again!
ChevyRay
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:11:49 PM »

Dude you totally left our very own architect out of the team listing! Mock Anger Hand Shake Right

Edit: Hah, the music is totally not supposed to restart after each round.

Actually I totally coded it that way. There was just too much other stuff to fuss over as time was running out Tongue so I didn't bother.

EDIT: just got a message from Laurie, GGJ is going to feature the game, and she said to pass it on to you guys Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:16:39 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:36:58 PM »

Noooooooo! I don't have three players!  Cry
*Friends not included  Sad

Oops I did forget Greg, there I added him all fixed. ^.^;
GGJs going to feature it? I'll be sure to look out for that.

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

ChevyRay
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »

Hey, this site...

http://www.playedonline.com/game/597613/eaty-guys-and-the-operator.html

...is hosting the game right now, and playing it with ads. How would I go about getting them to take it down? So that people can play it ad-free on the GGJ website or my own instead, not this dumb thing.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »

I sent them a message asking them to take it down as they had no permission to put it up.
Waiting for a reply now, if I don't get one by tomorrow I'll spam their contact box even more.

argh my bad, I feel I made a bad comment. Embarrassed
Made an ignorant comment on the playedonline site, people complaining it was 3 players I said 'we "won" locally because it was 3 player'
after I read it I felt like a douche and couldnt remove it... D;
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:00:38 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

ChevyRay
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »

That's okay, just leave another comment explanining that it's a party game, and explain the event it was made for, in case your comment before sounded douche-ish. Either way, I hope they will take it down.

EDIT: hmm, turns out that site actually did a feature that puts our game (and the Sheep Sheep Wolf one!) in the top-6 Flash games of Global Game Jam, which is pretty cool. I still wish they'd just link to the Global Game Jam site instead of uploading it on their own web-page too though Sad but oh well, we're probably going to have to get used to this with the publicity that will come with the GGJ, so let's not worry too much about it.

EDIT2: SCREENSHOT DROP!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:39:57 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand here's the soundtrack for anyone who wants it:

http://mattmakesgames.com/soundtracks/EateyManMusic.zip

Tracklist:
1. A Relaxing Game For Gentlemen
2. Puking Rainbows

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »

Such an awesome game/weekend indeed.  And yeah, like PsySal said, this really pumped up my game making enthusiasm.  Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »

Also, because I can't quite put these things down (ever), here is my idea for tightening things up. You guys tell me what you think, ha-ha!

For Events:

- USUALLY: LevelEvents are things that the eaty guys usually need to know in order to get any meaningful amount of points; these can probably be limited to negative events such lava, no jump, death-by-food.
- USUALLY: LevelEvents happen early on, at the 5 or 10 second mark, and the event is announced.
- USUALLY: LevelEvents happen to both players at the same time.
- RARELY: Some other kind of event, like a beneficial one, or unbalanced events.

For Goals:

- USUALLY: the OperatorGoal is just that the operator gets a bonus for helping both players to either get points or survive. That could be a share in their points, etc.
- RARELY: the OperatorGoal is to kill one or both players for a bonus.

What this does is hopefully sets up a situation where the players are a) competing with each other and b) relying on the operator to get any decent amount of points. The operator should get as a reward in my mind the lower of whatever score, or perhaps the average.

Because the events happen earlier, it becomes more important for the players to know about them right off the bat. I.e., with events not happening until 15 seconds in it's easy for the players to just play normal or "safe" for the first 15 seconds.

Okay we now return you to your regular scheduled programming...
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »

Lol lava does not harm WASD player.  Tired

Also one level you get stuck at the top but yes indie ftw.  Gentleman
I kind of feel I could have brought more to the table, tile wise and sprite wise but im generally satisfied with this I opened game maker when I got home today but didn't do anything... Sad
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:50:21 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »

Yeah, I noticed some scoring bugs when showing my brother and sister.

That said, who gives a fuck!  We're indie!  Beer!
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »

I kind of feel I could have brought more to the table, tile wise and sprite wise but im generally satisfied with this I opened game maker when I got home today but didn't do anything... Sad

The heck!? You did amazing artwork for this!!
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »

STROKE of brilliance! maybe not
If anyone decided to work more on this and make it more then it is. Yawn

When you die, you should have become the little squirt with smaller jumps or no double jump.
Whatever I still think it would be awesome and explain re-spawn.

Maybe the operator could wobble the screen with spacebar? with a delay as not to get out of hand like maybe once a round.

When small you could do such things as;
-Fit into small holes and get the food in the spike rooms?
-Keep any food your predecessor fed you
-Be jumped on and then eaten by the bigger player?

Perhaps you could waste a food item? and puke on the floor, and make a puddle that could stick your opponent for two jump or so if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:58:44 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
This may take a while.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »

I really like it in concept, but I don't understand it all that well. Why do the eatys have to listen to the operator at all? It doesn't feel like there's any strategic advantage to knowing what the operator does, especially with such a high chance that they're lying: it always boils down to "eat as much as possible in as short amount of time as possible".

Also, the score screen is ambiguous for the operator.

But the game is of a surprising high level of polish. And again, the concept itself stands out. I hope you guys work on it just a bit more, cause this could be great.

ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »

That's cause it was made in 48 hours and we had no idea if it was going to work at all. That's the thrill of getting to work on some throwaway game on a weekend, you can just pour all your energy into a random and risky concept and not care at all if it works or not Smiley

But the game is of a surprising high level of polish. And again, the concept itself stands out.

Yeah, this was pretty much what we were going for. Just take the idea and make it stand out from the other games, whether it really works or not Tongue but I totally agree with you, something could be done with the concept, and it could definitely be fleshed out more. This was merely a fun distraction.

Actually, the original idea was had was much more ambitious, but we carved it down to something we could accomplish within the jam time. We'd wanted to take the idea of the Operator's knowledge and make it into something a lot more high-tension and multiplayer, and I'll definitely be writing the idea down as something to approach in the future.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic