Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:50:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhalldepict1 (GlobalGameJam2010) - now in FLASH!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: depict1 (GlobalGameJam2010) - now in FLASH!  (Read 10721 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »

FLASH VERSION!!
CLICK HERE
(disable your adblock to fix loading issues!)

--

Let me preface this post with I haven't slept in 35 hours, so bear with me here. Tiger (not a bear)

So I didn't really know what I was doing, I didn't even know I was participating in the global game jam until friday when it started.  We hosted a location and it was a ton of fun, and I managed to get more done in 48 hours than I ever have before.  Oh and I only slept for about 6 hours of those 48.

The theme was of said jam was deception, so the game is about that, I think.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:00:13 PM by xerus » Logged
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »

Very nice. Is there an alternate ending?

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:58:57 PM »

Very nice. Is there an alternate ending?

Thanks!  I wish there was an alternate ending.  I had to wrap it up pretty quickly for the deadline so the ending is pretty dull.  I want to spice it up in the ending department pretty badly.

Edit: As of v 1.00, there are two endings.  This is not a lie.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:01:01 PM by xerus » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »

Fantastic - this is amazing, especially for 48 hours. Grin

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »

This totally failed to frustrate me. Maybe I'm getting old, but this was pretty fun.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:07 PM »

This was really fun. I thought the evil dude became predictable quite quickly, but you managed to hold my interest by introducing other mechanics like the spike-throwing.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm working hard on the 1.0 version that will hopefully wrap it up nicely.

Fantastic - this is amazing, especially for 48 hours. Grin

Thanks!  Gentleman

This totally failed to frustrate me. Maybe I'm getting old, but this was pretty fun.

Oh ho, perhaps I DECEIVED you then?

This was really fun. I thought the evil dude became predictable quite quickly, but you managed to hold my interest by introducing other mechanics like the spike-throwing.

Yeah, I can see that.  Although, I tried to make it pretty obvious that he's evil quickly.

Thanks for playing, gents.
PDF
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »

I thought it was pretty good; certainly the best game I played within the last two months (and I play almost every game that gets released). Of course it's short, but it would have been boring if it was longer. However, I wish the story wasn't Portal; but I imagine this is connected to the restrictions imposed by the theme.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:11 AM »

Updated to v1.00!

I spent another 10 hours or so on it.   Coffee  Let me know if you spot any bugs!

I thought it was pretty good; certainly the best game I played within the last two months (and I play almost every game that gets released). Of course it's short, but it would have been boring if it was longer. However, I wish the story wasn't Portal; but I imagine this is connected to the restrictions imposed by the theme.

Thanks!  The main idea that I thought of when the theme of deception was given was simply a player vs. game scenario, and it rolled on from there.  A lot of people seemed to be doing multiplayer games but I felt that was waaay out of scope for the weekend.
ortoslon
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »

i've recorded a quick playthrough ('trapped forever' ending)

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »

This was great.   SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

vikerman
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »

Wow - Really enjoyed the game. For 48 hours it is really good. Haven't finished it yet.

1. Story - The story had a "Portal" effect and fits the deception theme - Nice
2. Aesthetics - Nice retro feel
3. Mechanics - Really good. It's always enjoyable when you combine simple actions to do non-obvious things (Don't want to give out anything).
4. Technology - This is the only place I have something to suggest - Consider making it playable online probably using flash. You can get more people to try it.

-Vikram
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 04:21:15 AM »

I'm really unsure of how to get the good ending, can someone clue me in?
Curseman
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »

Pretty fun.  Liked the music.  The spikes actually being useful tools was a cool idea.

He has posted contradictory statements on whether or not one exists elsewhere.

On the level with the button that makes the bridge you can get up on the left ledge and the overseer guy makes a snappy comment about it, and in "The End" you can get over the top of the screen and head all the way back to the left if you want, but the game doesn't seem to respond to doing that in any meaningful way, and I have no idea if any of those has anything to do with it.  Probably not.

Edit:

Yeah, I was completely over thinking it in the above.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:56:17 PM by Vanguard » Logged
eugeneius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:32:30 AM »

He has posted contradictory statements on whether or not one exists elsewhere.

Perhaps as some sort of... deception?
Or maybe I'm overthinking that too Tongue

This game was fantastic! The only thing I didn't like was the "flipped collision" rooms, which felt a little gimmicky. I thought the point was that the guy in the messages was deceiving you, not the gameworld itself? Or maybe I just didn't like them because I had been playing this right before.

Also, I beat the ending section before the difficulty got toned down Cool

Flash Dump <- ActionScript noobery
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »

This was great.   SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

Gentleman

Wow - Really enjoyed the game. For 48 hours it is really good. Haven't finished it yet.

1. Story - The story had a "Portal" effect and fits the deception theme - Nice
2. Aesthetics - Nice retro feel
3. Mechanics - Really good. It's always enjoyable when you combine simple actions to do non-obvious things (Don't want to give out anything).
4. Technology - This is the only place I have something to suggest - Consider making it playable online probably using flash. You can get more people to try it.

-Vikram

I am quite honored that your first post on the TIGForums was in my thread!  I wish I could make it playable online in flash, but I don't have the programmer brains for that.  I've tried many times to buckle down with the action script or flixel and I always come back to game maker for the built in tools (sprite editor, room editor, script editor, etc.)  Thanks for your comments.

Pretty fun.  Liked the music.  The spikes actually being useful tools was a cool idea.

Haha thanks!  I thought it was nifty too, and it was one of the last things I added in (I thought I wouldnt have time for it in the 48 hours I had, but then I powered up and didn't sleep.)

As far as the 2nd ending goes-- yes, there is another ending.  When I posted the first public release (version 0.98) there was no second ending, but when I went back for version 1.0 I added a second ending because I was in agreement with the comments that said the ending sucked (because I rushed it out to get it in on time for the global game jam.)

Perhaps as some sort of... deception?
Or maybe I'm overthinking that too Tongue

This game was fantastic! The only thing I didn't like was the "flipped collision" rooms, which felt a little gimmicky. I thought the point was that the guy in the messages was deceiving you, not the gameworld itself? Or maybe I just didn't like them because I had been playing this right before.

I wanted the initial idea is that the narrator is deceiving you -- then I wanted the 2nd half of the game to be the gameworld is deceiving you  (so false walls, invisible collision boxes, flipped graphics, etc).  I mean, the gameworld is already a little deceptive with the spikes being good and the gems being bad, and the controls being screwy, but I wanted to crank that dial up in the 2nd half of the game.

My Word! Congrats on beating Deceit in it's entirety, you're one of the proud, the few.

Curseman
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »

My Word! Congrats on beating Deceit in it's entirety, you're one of the proud, the few.

Honestly I don't see why that level was such a big deal.  It looked a lot more dangerous than it really was.

As far as the 2nd ending goes-- yes, there is another ending.

Since the cat's out of the bag now, I might as well say that I also thought the method of overcoming the final challenge was pretty clever.  You know, using the one thing you have that he doesn't have.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »

Deceit was actually much easier if you saved some spikes from the first half.

Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »

This looked interesting, so I gave it a try.  However, on my system it always freezes a second or so after "caged" starts.  The screen doesn't redraw and escape doesn't close the game.  Any ideas or additional information that would help?
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »

This looked interesting, so I gave it a try.  However, on my system it always freezes a second or so after "caged" starts.  The screen doesn't redraw and escape doesn't close the game.  Any ideas or additional information that would help?

It sounds like it's having problems playing the music audio file... what are your system specs?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic