Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:34:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMy Kickstarter Project Closes in 23 hours!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Kickstarter Project Closes in 23 hours!  (Read 1986 times)
Jetgalicious
Level 0

Dream a little Dream

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:21:08 PM »

Hello everyone, I have been lurking round these parts for awhile, but this is my first foray into communication with your very cool community. So hi!

I am currently raising funds for my first indie project, Before You Close Your Eyes on Kickstarter. 

Before You Close Your Eyes is a Choose Your Own Adventure style game where you create your own personality and the choices you make have real consequences on a game world.  The story is inspired by HP Lovecraft's dream stories, as well as fairy tales and classic mythology.  The game will be available for web, iPhone and Android. 

You can see the project page here:
http://bit.ly/dreamgame

Backing for the project ends in 23 hours and I am only 21% short of my funding goal.  Please consider taking a look at the project page and if the game seems interesting to you share the link around with others you think might be into it.  There are some cool thank you gifts, and a game preorder is only $7.

Kickstarter has been a really fascinating experience!  I'd be happy to talk to the curious about what its like to use this funding platform for games.  I also have three invites still available for anyone who wants to use them. 

Thanks for checking out the project!  Feedback/questions are welcome! 
Corpus
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »

Why would this be okay? Don't use the forums like a short-skirt streetcorner.

You get to use the community if you're a part of the community. Introduce yourself. Get involved.
Jetgalicious
Level 0

Dream a little Dream

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »

I'm really sorry if I've broken etiquette here.  I did try to look around the forums a bit to see if I could get a feel for whether it would be ok to tell you about my project here, and I guess I misjudged.  (I also didn't see the introduction thread...I'll go do that right now!)

I'm just really excited about my project, and wanted to offer up that I'm willing to talk to people about using Kickstarter.  I've learned a lot!

I'm not trying to hustle anyone....

I apologize if I've offended you.  I can pull this thread down if you like.

Thanks!
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »

Hi!
I apologize if I've offended you.  I can pull this thread down if you like.
No need. The forums here only really mind if you post a link and haul ass out. Also,  Corpus is really just a big teddy-bear on the inside, in spite of his outward hostility and Malcom X avatar (who is pretty cute in that picture, by the way).

Congratulations on making your goal, anyhow! Smiley

Kickstarter has been a really fascinating experience!  I'd be happy to talk to the curious about what its like to use this funding platform for games.  I also have three invites still available for anyone who wants to use them. 
I'm pretty interested in the kickstarter stuff, I like money. I'm curious, do you think most of this money came from people who already knew who you were, or did the site like, expose thems people to you? Did you do anything beyond posting it on Kickstarter and your own websites to promote it? When did you start the pledge?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Jetgalicious
Level 0

Dream a little Dream

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

Thanks Inane! I appreciate the more welcome welcome.  Wink

So yeah, Kickstarter taught me a helluva lot about self promotion.  At first I really did just post the proposal, put it on Twitter and Facebook, and went back to my normal routine, figuring it would take care of itself.  This was a huge mistake. 

It was only earlier this month (I had opted for the maximum funding window of 3 months) that I woke up and realized:
1) It wasn't going to happen on its own
2) I really wanted it to happen

So that's when I started my huge self-promotion campaign.  And it took a ton of work.  I spent about 2 hours a day just contacting people, blogs, etc. I definitely got the best results I think from contacting individual friends directly and asking them to spread the word to their friends.  Especially if you know people who have blogs that are actually read, or that are influential personalities in some way. 

I think Kickstarter does help expose you to new people, but mostly at the end of your pledge drive (because your project is then on the front page of the "Ending Soon" section).  I know I got a bunch of $7 pledges just from random Kickstarter watchers.

If you have a project that the Kickstarter people decide is awesome and they make it a project of the day, then you're really rolling.  I think that's hard to do as a game, because I think the Kickstarter folks aren't into games (to be honest).  But they do like things that feel very heartfelt, and they like things that are getting impressive results on their site. I think that's the best way to get their attention.

So my biggest advice to anyone who wants to fund a project through Kickstarter is to keep up the self-promotion from the very beginning.  Set aside 1 hour a day or something just to focus on that. 

Oh and the other thing I think really helped was that towards the end I was posting updates to my project (blog posts) every day.  It helped keep the backers excited, which in turn sent them out to get more support for the project.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:27:31 AM »

Funding SUCCESSFUL! Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Right

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »

I have to say from what I've seen I'm impressed with Kickstarter. It's making stuff happen that I'm not sure would have happened otherwise.
Jetgalicious
Level 0

Dream a little Dream

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

There's another site too called IndieGoGo.com which looks intriguing.  Apparently IndieGoGo is not all or nothing like Kickstarter is.  You keep whatever funds you raise as you go along.  And there's no time limit either -- you put in the amount you want to raise and keep raising money until you've hit your amount. 

I don't know though what keeps you from just saying you want to raise 1 million dollars and keep soliciting funds for years. Regardless, I think the crowdfunding phenomenon is fascinating and really an amazing idea.   
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic