Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:12:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)SUBMISSIONS CLOSED
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: SUBMISSIONS CLOSED  (Read 10893 times)
PlayMeTape
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:09 AM »

While I'm in the same spot I think it'd be hard to make sure it worked out properly.
SpaceParanoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »

I think it's pretty simple-- Let's say you have 10 passes, allowing you to select 5 games with 2 members apiece. If 3 of the games you select are made by teams, and 2 by individuals, that means you've only exhausted 8 of your passes, leaving 2 left. You can either select one more team-built game, or two more solo-built games.

Maybe it's asking a bit much for us solo-designers to give up a guest-pass to a friend or loved one, but if it meant more designers being recognized and getting the opportunity to show off their work, I'd be all for it. Of course, if there's larger money issues with the games than just the passes, it's neither here nor there.
cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »

It's not so much the GDC passes, as it is the GDC showroom space (for which we have a strict and maximum number of spots), and the computer, projector and 8'+ screen rental for each game. It adds up.

And just to clarify-- the passes are and always have been non-transferable. So solo designers aren't forgoing anything. You would only ever have received a single pass.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »

It's not so much the GDC passes, as it is the GDC showroom space (for which we have a strict and maximum number of spots), and the computer, projector and 8'+ screen rental for each game. It adds up.

Unless you hosted more than one game per spot. (in shifts)

I could see how this could work and also how it could be annoying to organize. Tongue

cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »

Does GAMMA not get funding from GDC? Are you guys privately sponsored?
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 06:09:23 AM »

Unless you hosted more than one game per spot. (in shifts)

That would be neat. Furthermore, I really like the idea of having one computer with a database of all entries which it would randomly cycle through.

Such a thing would probably be too hard to organize, though, especially with the unpredictable ways in which the different entries could behave. Maybe a neat idea for another Gamma though, who knows.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 06:14:30 AM »

What would be neat is several laptops running games with a KVM Switch for a single shared projector, so you could cycle between games showed on the big screen at will.  That'd be the perfect kind of visualizer to project behind the bands/djs.

@doomlaser, mark johns
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 06:15:55 AM »

That would be neat. Furthermore, I really like the idea of having one computer with a database of all entries which it would randomly cycle through.

That kills the whole "It's curated" aspect to it though

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 07:24:56 AM »

That kills the whole "It's curated" aspect to it though

All I'm suggesting is something pretty reasonable like... double the number of games from 5 to 10? (alternate 2 games on each machine, maybe swap every hour or so?)

I'm not talking about featuring every game that's entered, so there'd still be a pretty intense judging process.

It seems like the odds of there being 10 really good games are much higher than in previous years, because of the sheer number of entries.

cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »

All I'm suggesting is something pretty reasonable like... double the number of games from 5 to 10? (alternate 2 games on each machine, maybe swap every hour or so?)

If it ever happens, that's how it'd have to happen.

It seems like the odds of there being 10 really good games are much higher than in previous years, because of the sheer number of entries.

Nope. There are only ever 5-6 BEST games ;-)
SpaceParanoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »

If it ever happens, that's how it'd have to happen.

Nope. There are only ever 5-6 BEST games ;-)

True, but based on the sheer number of submissions, it's going to be a much smaller percentage than any other year. Before, approximately 5-6 games represened a quarter of those submitted. Now, it's more like one thirtieth.
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 06:16:24 PM »

As in understand it, every game will go and have it's own small area with a small screen, but a few games will be presented on a big screen and whatnot. Is/was this correct? Will the sheer number of entries mean that only some will even make it to the first bit?

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »

As in understand it, every game will go and have it's own small area with a small screen, but a few games will be presented on a big screen and whatnot. Is/was this correct? Will the sheer number of entries mean that only some will even make it to the first bit?

No, only 5-7 entries get picked to be featured. (at least, that's how it's worked in the past)

Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »

Gamma will be really tougher competition than IGF every year. Facepalm

yet...
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »

It's just that this:

"Following the event, all the games will be playable in a dedicated booth on the GDC Expo floor. Game creators whose games are selected for presentation at Gamma 4 will also be awarded free GDC All-Access passes." (I added bolding)

is different from what everyone else is saying. But this is what's on the site.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 01:38:55 AM »

It's just that this:

"Following the event, all the games will be playable in a dedicated booth on the GDC Expo floor. Game creators whose games are selected for presentation at Gamma 4 will also be awarded free GDC All-Access passes." (I added bolding)

Hrm! The GDC Expo is separate from the Gamma party,  and it sounds like in that context, it is referring to all the entries and not just the selected ones. Neat. Smiley

cloo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »

It's just that this:

Sadly, the quote is taken out of context. In the preceding line, we're specifically referring to Gamma 4 games. Only the ones that are selected are considered Gamma 4 games. If we had meant all submitted games, we would say so.

All this being said, we're considering ways we can show some of the additional games (at least the shortlisted ones). No promises, but it's not out of the question just yet.
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »

Ok, I see. That answers my question, thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic