Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:29:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMONOLITH <<13.03.10 - New Video!>>
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: MONOLITH <<13.03.10 - New Video!>>  (Read 23880 times)
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:31 AM »

Nice! also, happy st davids day timbo!
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »

Nice! also, happy st davids day timbo!

The hell?! It's St. Davids day?!

Don't tell any other Welsh people I forgot, they'll kill me...slowly... Shocked
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »

I wrote a little article explaining how I create my videologs.

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »

Well we now have a 9 day old layer of dust over this Dev.Log although time to give it a little kick. I've updated the front page to include the new videos Zach has posted Smiley

I've also just gotten access to the rather sexy level builder. Obviously it's an early build as half the games content isn't actually working yet but it's giving me a feel for how fun and surprisingly easy it is to make levels. The challenge will be in making a large number of fun and ever more challenging levels though. Any ideas or advice is welcome on level design (not so much objects and enemies, but what we can do with what we have so far, which has been shown off in the dev.log videos) is welcome :-)

Thanks to some handy work by Zach and Noah towers will vary in side not only in their hight but how wide they are too allowing for some insanely wide levels or some weirdly thin ones (the thinner a level the harder it is against enemies due to less space to run, but wider levels can be more tricky for run&jump challenges).

I'll be dedicating this weekend to getting the rest of the enemies drawn and animated ready for Zach and Noah to add them in, once this is done I'll be recording my first video log in which I'll explain each enemy to you as well as showing off some of my less than skilful level building powers (we may also have a treat or two in the game by then I can show off too).

Oh and...

Yes this is in-game...but no
it isn't a very fun level...
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »

Great work so far on this, I watched most of the videos and this is looking mighty good. Smiley

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »

We've got some editor footage. It's so fresh, even Timbo hasn't had a chance to stank it up.

YouTube:

Devblog: http://zachwlewis.dyndns.org/monolith/2010/03/13/videolog-live-editor-creates-and-saves-your-hopes-and-dreams/

I hope you enjoy! <3

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

Dude, due to bad sleep I thought I'd pop on my netbook to check out TIG quickly and noticed you'd updated...jesus that's a major jump O_O if it wasn't 6:25am (and I haven't slept yet) I'd be at my PC giving the new build a go :D I'm not sure what our future plans for the map maker are but if based on what you was saying we will be releasing it to the public to play with maybe we should kick off a competition once the editor is finished (and has all monster types, traps and keys added) to see who can build the best level, no idea of the prize but I'm sure one or two of the dev.log readers would be interest right guys? Smiley

Anyway, time to attempt sleep again...ergh...

G'Night Internet!
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »

Wow, map editor looks suhweet and simple. I can imagine some very challenging jumps on the skinny levels.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »

Wow, map editor looks suhweet and simple. I can imagine some very challenging jumps on the skinny levels.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I've been messing around with super skinny maps, and blind jumps from a gap to a rope on the opposite side of the world are super fun to play with. I see lots of challenging maps being designed around this mechanic.

I'm not sure what our future plans for the map maker are but if based on what you was saying we will be releasing it to the public to play with maybe we should kick off a competition once the editor is finished (and has all monster types, traps and keys added) to see who can build the best level, no idea of the prize but I'm sure one or two of the dev.log readers would be interest right guys? Smiley

Noah and I were actually talking about that tonight. Since we're going to have 99 towers, I think it would be awesome to crowd-source some of it. It would be cool to get the users in on the development process and see the kind of maps they want to play.

Once we have a bunch of maps (and see the kind of challenges people are crafting), we can take the inspirations behind them and wrap them in our style for release. That way, a player could be jumping from rope to rope while dodging falling zombies and think: "Hey, that's my trap!"

I envision the first few maps of each tower being rather simple, just introducing the mechanics, then ramp up to Meat Boy difficulty by the end. I don't want the barrier of entry to be too large, but I still want it to be a challenge for gamers of all skill levels. It'll be a balancing act, that's for sure.

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »

That zombie is incredibly adorable.

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »

Where did this go!?!

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »

FEAR NOT! The Monolith has not fallen!

I got a new job and had to move so I went MIA for a month or two, and Zach is drowning in work right now (I think the same applies to Noah also). Even if I have to get them addicted to crack and then with hold more crack till they code THIS GAME SHALL BE FINISHED!

It just may take longer than previously planned :-) hope to have an update sooner rather than later <3
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »

Yeah... I've got two weeks left of class, but after that, we're good to go. Smiley

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2010, 04:57:37 AM »

Understood!  My artist partner is currently crunching for finals week, too.  Looking forward to seeing some updates from fellow XNA homies!   Hand Any Key

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2010, 05:39:48 AM »

I also want to make a brief update regarding the development of the game. I purchased an XBOX360 for testing and stuff. I've gotten another project running on my XBOX successfully, but it seems as if some of the libraries we're using in Monolith to save and load maps (ISerializable, I'm looking at you  Lips Sealed) aren't part of the XNA framework.

If we had a development XBOX from the get go, this would be a problem. It's actually not too big of a problem anyway, since the saving and loading functionality is pretty well encapsulated by my loader class, but it is kind of a disappointment not being able to click "Deploy" and play some Monolith. Tongue

I suppose that's the most interesting thing that's been going on in Monolith as of late. Well, that and getting the map editor in a few people's hands to see what they come up with (spoiler: they don't understand that a rope connects to a block and is not designed to float in midair). As always, we'll keep you posted with new builds and features both here and on our development log (if I can ever get Timbo to post on the damn thing).

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2010, 07:57:11 AM »

Ok ok I see a hint in there Zach about me updating the official blog once in a while :-P I'm actually toying with something at the moment which if it works out will result in a major update on there from me (including a video! YOU WILL SUFFER MY SEXY WELSH ACCENT!). Also I'll grab you on G.Talk sometime to check a few things, based on that we should have some basic news I can update with :D

Also something for on-lookers to look forward too is that soon after everyones finished their Uni stuff we should have some demo tunes up on here from those sexy men at HyperDuck, I'm genuinely excited about hearing what they come up with :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic