Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:57:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSines: A Quick Racing Minigame for 2 Players
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sines: A Quick Racing Minigame for 2 Players  (Read 1386 times)
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »

I’ve had this floating in my head for a while. I finished it in one 12-hour stretch, including art, sounds and music. It’s a pretty simple minigame; Up to accelerate, Down to break, tap Left and Right on Turns, Stop on Stop Signs.

In the zip I’ve included the music and MMF file.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »

Nice concept; simple but unique. The controls feel sort of weird/counterintuitive, but I think if I had someone to play against that might just add to the fun. Icky font, though. Sad

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 03:11:31 AM »

it's pretty cool, i like the idea of guitar hero racing.

stopping really breaks the flow of the game; once you get into a rhythm it kinda sucks to have to slow down to a complete stop. also, what i thought was my points turned out to be my velocity -  i thought that i was losing points every time i came to a complete stop (this may just be me being stupid) because the speedometer is placed where you'd expect the points to be.

also the lack of a competitive mechanic means that p1 can just wait for p2 to get game over before starting to play. perhaps some kind of minimum speed would fix this, or some other mechanic - like a 4th kind of sign which affects the other player's game.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »

I liked the mechanic in Sines, it seemed simple and pretty intuitive. I didn't like the stop signs - one after a string of turns wasn't bad, but three stop signs in a row kind of ruined the 'race' paradigm for me. I think there's room for growth, though - adding a horn to honk or just a 'slow' sign(max speed: xx ?) would be sweet.

Suggestions for refinement: Some kind of gauge of progress - how many errors a player has left and how many signs they successfully passed would make it a little more hectic - there's no way to tell who's in the lead, currently.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:23:55 AM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll try and incorporate it into the next version. A lot of things just didn't happen because of that twelve-hour time limit, I actually had a score system in place, but it kept glitching on me, so I had to cut it.
I've got a couple other (unreleased) two-player minigames that I might combine with this in a kind of Mario Party deal...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic