Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:18:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)glorg
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: glorg  (Read 7927 times)
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »

this is my game i submitted for gamma. it's not playable for the public yet (for obvious reasons) but here's a gameplay video:

i also had chronolapse running for the entire time i worked on the game, that looked like so:

the game is made in flash, uses joy2key for input, generates random dungeons and has 60+ unique items to find. i'd say more, but i don't want to spoil the game once you play it.
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »

This is insanely cool. Loving it.

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »

Holy crap it looks smooth and shiny. I just love how everything moves.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »

Sooooo smooooth!!!!
It looks like fun too.
^____^ good job!

Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »

Super charming graphics and audio. Not clear from the video whether there's a challenge, but it still looks like it'd be fun to explore the levels and see the stuff you hid in the random generator!

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »

Very cute Kiss
mikeaka
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »

You aren't allowed to adapt previous games to the contest, you have to make a new game starting at the time Gamma4 is announced.  I hope you get disqualified because a lot of people including myself started from scratch and worked very hard to get our games done.  I could've easily taken some of my finished games and adapted one button control to them just like you but it's not fair and against the rules.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »

Wow, relax dude. Yeah sure, if half of the games were adaptions of older projects I'd feel pretty fooled. But one person missing a small rule isn't a big deal! You don't even know how much of it was old, might just have been the concept.

This looks great grapefrukt! Hand Thumbs Up Left
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

You aren't allowed to adapt previous games to the contest, you have to make a new game starting at the time Gamma4 is announced.  I hope you get disqualified because a lot of people including myself started from scratch and worked very hard to get our games done.  I could've easily taken some of my finished games and adapted one button control to them just like you but it's not fair and against the rules.

Sorry, that's a bit clumsily worded on my part. What I did was change the game I was working on to be a one button game. This game hasn't been released previously nor was it anywhere near this state back when it "became" a one button game. At December 1st (when gamma iv was announced iirc) it was essentially a random dungeon generator (and who hasn't done a bunch of those) and nothing more.

If this disqualifies me I would be extremely disappointed, I put hard work into this and had no intention of making people feel I cheated. I'll change the wording on my blog now, but the cat's already out of the bag I guess, so we'll just have to see how this works out.
mikeaka
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:58 AM »

Wow, relax dude. Yeah sure, if half of the games were adaptions of older projects I'd feel pretty fooled. But one person missing a small rule isn't a big deal! You don't even know how much of it was old, might just have been the concept.

Oh you mean like this!!

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »

chill out dude really. In-fact the rule is meant to stop 1 button games such as Canabalt which have already been released to be barred entrance.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »

Sorry, that's a bit clumsily worded on my part. What I did was change the game I was working on to be a one button game. This game hasn't been released previously nor was it anywhere near this state back when it "became" a one button game. At December 1st (when gamma iv was announced iirc) it was essentially a random dungeon generator (and who hasn't done a bunch of those) and nothing more.

If this disqualifies me I would be extremely disappointed, I put hard work into this and had no intention of making people feel I cheated. I'll change the wording on my blog now, but the cat's already out of the bag I guess, so we'll just have to see how this works out.

I would not worry about it, it sounds like Mikeaka is having competition fever. Some people kinda go crazy when there are tangible things on the line. This is part of why its nice to do competitions where nothing is actually up for grabs.

Yameki
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »

Oh you mean like this!!

Nothing wrong with reusing art assets. You need a chill pill, attacking other competitors won't make you more qualified for it.

Also, your game looks simply amazing grapefrukt, hope the rest of this thread keep talking about YOUR game and not a debate about the Gamma4 Rules.

Keep up the good work =)
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »

glorg is great and totally legit.

Yameki
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »

glorg is great and totally legit.

it actually inspired me to make my animations smoother, as well as all text and etc~

I'm trying to polish Lamp Bottle Pants as we haven't been able to submit a completely "finished" game..Now back to coding~ !  Coffee
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »

Thank you Fish for clearing that. I just realized I didn't actually say how much I like the video Grapefrukt! That looks really neat, I like the idea of a one-button RPG/dynamic world generator! Please write up some technical goodness after Gamma's announced/all done, I love reading all the cool techniques used for worlds like this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:24:03 PM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

mikeaka
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 01:36:16 PM »

No it seems to me the rules are a mere suggestion and I think for next time they should be clearly written out so as to not cause confusion.

Also I kinda figured Fish would say it's legit just to spite me but that's ok.

And I'm not concerned about winning I just want everyone to compete fairly.  No reason to be spiteful guys.  I don't see why it's such a bad thing that I feel strongly about this.

I'm sad you guys think I was making a ruckus just for myself.

The End.
GOZU
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »

This has excellent presentation but as a one-button game it seems to be lacking. The player basically pushes A whenever the game says to? It doesn't look like the person playing has any real control over what happens on the screen, like the gameplay is missing, you just wait for it to tell you to push a button. The only comparison I can think of is skipping cutscenes in commercial games, it's basically the same thing, "Press A to continue..." over and over.

If I'm wrong then apologies, but the video gives quite a poor impression gameplay-wise.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic