Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:17:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Knytt Stage
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Knytt Stage  (Read 10167 times)
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »

There was discussion about this stage a while back, and with that latest remix... I don't know. I felt like making this.

I realize I deviated quite a bit from the original plan, but I don't know. This layout looks nice?

Might throw in some trees later. Sky and water are obvious WIPs, though I might be tempted to leave the background waterfalls the way they are.

The solid platforms read clearly enough, I hope. Do we need more for this stage, or will it be really minimalistic?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:54:52 PM by Soulliard » Logged
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »

This is really great! The geometric and angular style really looks knytt-ish to me. Good job man Beer!

This may seem quite ambitious but what if the level's colors changed (from black to orange to like it is now) randomly when you chose it? Not drastically different or anything, but just as a cool little reference to all the little tile sets in knytt stories Shrug
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »

It might be possible in game, because we're doing it for the rescue the beagles level, but the striped texture might mess things up.
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »

Possibly, but it wouldn't be that difficult to bypass. I could take this into an image editor and change it's color in 5 seconds.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »

I really like this. Did you use any of godsavant's older tiles? These look similar, but a bit cleaner.

I really like the layout of the background, too.

A few points I'd like to address:
-The platform in the middle of the waterfall makes the pit mostly pointless. The holes will generally be too small to fall through. I'd remove it.
-I like the stage format with two platforms seperated by a waterfall. Another possible format would be a single platform surrounded by 2 waterfalls.
-Could I have the different layers of background as separate images when everything's done? That way I can implement parallax scrolling.
-The stages boundaries could be a little larger on the sides and the bottom. Otherwise, it's often impossible to recover.
-I don't see why it would be necessary to change the colors. The green and blue color scheme is most prevalent in that area. Changing the colors through code wouldn't look as nice, and changing the colors manually would unnecessarily increase the file size.

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »

I did look up the older tiles and older layout, but in the end, I chose to make my own (I'll admit to stealing the purples from godsavant's mockup, though).

As for altering the stage boundaries and getting rid of that platform, that's simple enough. Consider it done.

Personally (though I might be biased), I'd tend to agree that we should stick to the colors here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... right?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »

My thoughts exactly. I really like those colors as they are.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »

The clouds sort of clash with the blockiness of the level and background.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14:16 AM »

that's what makes it knyttish

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »

?
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »

Those trees add a lot to it, I think.

Maybe we could have wildlife running around in the foreground, and some series baddies out in the distance. They'd be pretty simple, occourse. We could throw in a cameo or two from WADF or Saira (I wouldn't know of specifics for that one), even!
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »

That sounds like a really good idea. We want the Knytt level to be atmospheric, after all, and that wildlife really adds a fine touch to it.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »

I would almost say that the cloudy background beyond the distant landscapes doesn't look Knyttish enough.

In-game, it's nothing but gradients with overlaid small details, rather than a unified image.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

yeah, i don't want to sound like an asshole but this isn't very knytt-ish.  the front tiles are neon green for crying out loud, and the clouds in the background are something that you'd never see in knytt.  

needs to be more knytty.

Shrug

the part of the background with the waterfall on it is PERFECTO tho

but looking at it more, i think the problem is the deviation between colors.  the neon green is completely out of place because knytt always used more muted tones, but even beyond that you have red, green, blue, neon purple, and they're all so SATURATED.  i would stick with somewhere between green-blue-purple or blue-purple-red, but turn the saturation waaaaaaay down and get more misty, muted colors. 

i think that will help.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »

I agree with Neon.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 02:09:19 AM »

Thought I'd throw some lavely piccies in the mix!

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »

i'd just like to throw my vote in for making the knytt stage like picture #3 there.  it's such a knytty screenshot.  it's perfect.  except you might want to change the stage layout around.  but that color palette in #3 is great.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »

We decided a while ago that the Knytt level would be mostly based on the area in that first screen shot.

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »

When I threw together the stage design initially, I admit that I hadn't really looked at the actual game for a while. I mean, certain design elements really stood out in my memory, such as the sloped tiles and that one area where Nifflas uses them to create an arch, but yeah, my palette was way off. Next edit might not be coming for a while because I've been more than a little busy, but someone can feel free to tweak the colors a bit.
godsavant
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »

Some cutting & pasting, a bit of recoloring, nothing big. It was annoying that I later saw the updated version with the trees. Soulliard, could you update OPs in threads with the most recent versions of their incarnations? It's somewhat frustrating to have to scrounge through threads to find recent versions, or make animations for things that have already been done but not OP'ed. This applies for the Spelunker thread, as well, with Veo's new idle, walking and jumping animations.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic