Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:10:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNMcCoy's Weekly Games [#02: "Stargrazing"]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NMcCoy's Weekly Games [#02: "Stargrazing"]  (Read 1189 times)
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

This week's game is a shmup, inspired by the likes of Ikaruga and Giga Wing. Grab bullets and fling them back at your enemies! Enjoy the presence of sound effects! Become impatient with the continued prevalence of circles in place of actual graphics!  Shrug

Please go play it and provide feedback.  Hand Any Key

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
Eraser
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »

Oh this game was awesome. I had lag problems, though, but it would come in random spikes, causing the game to freeze and me to die horribly because of it :| I think it's time I close everything so I can fully enjoy this Wink Timing is sometimes necessary, as I've noticed if I launch my little absorber too late, bullets will go flying right through it happily, destroying my meager existence
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:00:57 PM by Eraser » Logged
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:19:52 PM »

Yes I am becoming impatient! Cheesy. I am only half joking. More sound/visuals would be good IMO.

Regardless, this is great! The only thing I didn't like was I felt the screen was too small in comparison to classic arcade games. However I'm not sure if that's normal for contemporary shmups.
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »

I had lag problems, though, but it would come in random spikes, causing the game to freeze and me to die horribly because of it :|

If you're talking about it ignoring input for a second or so at random times, I had that problem when running it in a browser as well. Installing the latest Java update seems to have fixed it (though I think the update required a restart of my OS and browser, so that might've done it too).

Edit: Argh, okay, still getting the killer lag spikes. I played for a bit with the process manager open, and it seems to be Firefox that's suddenly munching CPU.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:34:53 AM by NMcCoy » Logged

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:50:35 AM »

It's an interesting concept, but it's not for me, I think, despite liking shmups. It's excessively hard to aim captured bullets, since you only get like one shot at a time and no 'tracer' fire. It's also easy to have gone past an enemy by the time you capture his bullets to throw back at him. The best scores I got were by ignoring the bullet capture feature and just hammering on the fire button to get that single shot one out, all the time. On the other hand, the boss battles were made pretty amazing by the bullet-capture feature. Smiley

Technical-wise, I had no lag problems. And congrats on keeping to your schedule!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:57:01 AM »

Excellent concept. I found the arcade mode to be boring, while to boss rush is addicting and challenging. I love how you're actually moving slower with the capture thing activated.
It's almost a shame that you spent only a week in it, with some more work (especially in the graphical/audio sides) it could have become a masterpiece!

A suggestion? Leave one-shot fire. Make it so you can actually fire ONLY when you captured enemy fire  Smiley

*blog - *tweet - *leon
Eraser
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:37:01 AM »

Excellent concept. I found the arcade mode to be boring, while to boss rush is addicting and challenging. I love how you're actually moving slower with the capture thing activated.
It's almost a shame that you spent only a week in it, with some more work (especially in the graphical/audio sides) it could have become a masterpiece!

A suggestion? Leave one-shot fire. Make it so you can actually fire ONLY when you captured enemy fire  Smiley
Heh, the moving slower when capturing was often the cause of my death when the bosses used seekers. I especially hate the one that just keeps spurting out the little seekers... They can't all be absorbed or avoided.

Removing the one-shot fire would be an interesting change, but not necessarily for the better. Even with one-shot fire I often find myself overloaded with asteroids and little buggers to kill.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic