Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:54:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Madotsuki
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Madotsuki  (Read 15661 times)
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:21 PM »

DO NOT WORK ON MADOTSUKI. WE DO NOT YET HAVE PERMISSION TO INCLUDE HER.

Seeing how Madotsuki's permission seems to be in eternal limbo, I decided to go ahead and make a thread for her.

Portrait- Not submitted

Sprites-
Idle-
Running-
Jumping-
Hurt-
Throwing-

A:   Knife   A quick attack that deals solid damage, but has little reach.
↑A:   Demon Lightning   Madotsuki summons a bolt of lighting, which comes down in a vertical line directly above where she is standing.
←A/→A:   Frog Tongue   An attack with long reach that drags the target closer.
↓A:   ?   ?
↓A: (air) Fat Smash   Madotsuki becomes fat and smashes downwards.
S:   Medamaude Grab   Madotsuki's head turns into a hand, which grabs any enemy it touches. Its reach is short, extending only slightly above Madotsuki, but its power is great.
↑S:   Witch's Flight   Madotsuki briefly flies upwards on a broom, dealing minor damage to those she collides with.
←S/→S:   Copy   Madotsuki throws a tiny copy of herself. The copy moves slowly through the air, but walks quickly along the ground. It damages enemies it walks through and explodes after a short time.
↓S:   Yuki-onna   Madotsuki surrounds herself with a freezing windstorm for as long as the key is held, damaging and pushing nearby enemies away.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:19:09 PM by Soulliard » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »

I updated your post with the most recent version of the movelist. Not really sure why we need a thread yet, since there's nothing much to do here but discuss her moves.

Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »

Just FYI, but there's been a fangame or two based on Yume Nikki, not to mention some fan-made videos. Undecided To me, that's evidence that we could have a chance at getting Kikiyama's permission to use Madotsuki in Indie Brawl.  Shrug
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »

There are hundreds of Cave Story fan videos, but Quote's still banned.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »

Sure, there's a good chance of getting permission. No developer (besides those associated with Nicalis) have denied permission yet. But the proper order of these things is to ask permission first, so the work doesn't go to waste.

irishladdie727
Level 0

The dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »

There are hundreds of Cave Story fan videos, but Quote's still banned.
Pixel was very pro fan-stuff before the Wii port.  Now that Nicalis owns the characters, it's pretty much out of his control.  He even had to turn down Team Meat.  Plus the comparison's kind of irrelevant.
Just FYI, but there's been a fangame or two based on Yume Nikki, not to mention some fan-made videos. Undecided To me, that's evidence that we could have a chance at getting Kikiyama's permission to use Madotsuki in Indie Brawl.  Shrug
I'm pretty sure Kikiyama has only ever been successfully contacted once, and it was not to ask for permission to make fangames.  People did that on their own.  I know people are concerned about intellectual property and copyright, but maybe it's time to loosen up a tad.  Generally copyright laws allow for something like a fictional character to be used in a not for profit work unless specifically denoted otherwise by the creator.  You're not going to get a hold of Kikiyama anytime soon.  He's an enigma shrouded in secrecy and nobody really has any idea who he is, so if you want Madotsuki in the game, you're probably going to have to do it without permission.

Also, hey I'm new.  Has anybody done a base sprite for Madotsuki?  Because I can definitely get right on that.  I'll make Uboa too because I'm sure he'll come in handy for... something... or other.
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »

regardless of whether it could legally be done without permission, it's a decision based out of respect also.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »

We ought to at least make an effort to contact Kikiyama, first.

Here's is Madotsuki's current sprite:

There's still room for improvement, though.

irishladdie727
Level 0

The dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:33:45 PM »

regardless of whether it could legally be done without permission, it's a decision based out of respect also.

I realize that asking for permission is about more than covering our asses, and I agree that if Kikiyama can be contacted and asked for permission, that's the respectful course of action to take.  I'm just warning  everyone that he's notoriously elusive so there's no reason we should wait to start working on Madotsuki until the end of what could possibly be a wild goose chase.

If anyone would know how to get a hold of him, it would be one of the top dogs on Uboachan: http://uboachan.net/, which is an entire imageboard dedicated solely to Yume Nikki.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:36:57 AM »

Hey guys I found this on a website, it could be used as some kind of base or something (but I doubt Madotsuki walks that way :C)

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 04:56:55 AM »

She already has a sprite so there's no need for a base to work from.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »

I think that was taken fom some Yume Nikki fan fighting game.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »

Looks like it's from a MUGEN character.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:05:23 AM »

Nah the image I found it's from a japanese fan game web or something, but is definitively not the same kind of animation that the mugen madotsuki has. Too bad it can't be used for anything here :/

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »

While we're on the topic, let's actually address the biggest issue here: is Madotsuki really a fighter?

I mean, her game shows her as more of a lucid dreaming spectator than an actual combatant, and she only uses her weapon when absolutely necessary. A weapon which, may I add, doesn't need to be found until about halfway through the game. It's a bit like the Juni question.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »

I'd say so.

While you can beat the game without Madotsuki being violent, you can also make her a violent psychopath. She's a bit like Iji, in that sense. The incarnations of those characters in Indie Brawl are presumably the violent versions.

And while many of the actions she can take in Yume Nikki are not attacks, they are still good material for a fighting game. Summoning lightning or snow can certainly be made into an attack, even if that's not how it was used in the source material. There's more move material here than there was for Lyle, Trilby or Gish.

There was also a thread a while back about which questionable characters should be included, and Madotsuki received plenty of support.

Juni's case was a bit different. She didn't even have the option of being violent. She also had a much more limited set of actions. And Nifflas said he didn't want to see her act violently.

The real issue for Madotsuki is whether we can get permission to use her.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:09:58 AM »

Now that I think about it there isn't an idea for the vA commandon the ground yet, right? because I have an idea for it:
vA (Bike Charge)(chargeable): Madotsuki rides her bike for a short-mid-long distance depending on how long the button is pressed.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic