Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:27:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignFun extras
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fun extras  (Read 2658 times)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »

What are the extra flourishes on games that you like?

You know, the hidden areas you're not supposed to be able to access, the toilet that makes a flushing noise if you use it, the NPC that just says something weird that has nothing to do with the game.

One of my favorites is the dance mode in Toe Jam & Earl, which is at best tangentially related to the game (a Genesis roguelike based on aliens and funk music), and has no point to it except to mess around.  It can't even be classified as a minigame, it was just put in for fun's sake.

hi
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »

Toe Jam and Earl also had "floor zero", which was an amusing secret for someone willing to get some items and head back to the first level.

Halo has some really fun secrets for people who do stupid things, usually with warthogs. Many of the "secret areas" in that game were probably never intended to be accessible, but players found a way to reach even the most hidden or out-of-the-way locations.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:39:40 AM »

World of the hula girls! Kiss

hi
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:14 AM »

The cow level in Diablo 2.

I also like hidden minigames, like the ones in Timesplitters 2 or System Shock 2.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 05:27:31 AM »

as i said in the weather thread Smiley the name whispering in black & white is great.
i found the mp3 on mediafire so you can hear the greatness of this feature (names are from the german version): http://www.mediafire.com/?jjgnnuj0j2z

i think the game got the name from registry, because i usually use a nickname in games. the first time i heard the game whispering my name was very creepy. i played very very early in the morning ^^ with a friend in multiplayer lan. suddenly the game whispered my name and i was shocked. Smiley at first i couldn't believe it - i investigated the feature. i found out that you can play the *.sad files from b&w as mp3s and finally found the names in the file Audio/Dialogue/Guidance.sad.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:44:02 AM by Chromanoid » Logged
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »

The Dopefish is a classic:
http://www.dopefish.com/

Also childishly clicking on this mans butt:

Seth
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »

stuff like hitting chickens in zelda until they attack you, any time you get to a place that feels like you shouldn't been able to (mr. gimmick for the NES had some good examples of that, watch the youtube playthrough) I like the consistency of never being able to enter a bathroom in the Earthbound games (and it got better at the end of Mother 3).  Oh, and speaking of Mother 3, Negative Man.
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »

Random cameos are a lot of fun.  Especially if its cross-genre, something really unexpected.  For example:

I thought that was awesome.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »

Negative Man.
He's my favorite.

hi
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

The 'areas you're not supposed to go to' are also some of my favorites. They give you a feeling that you're beating the system, that you're smarter than the game developers, and you can beat them in their own game.

It also plays with the feeling of exploration, of finding new places, and some cases of feeling you're the first person that has set foot there in a long time, if not ever.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:59:57 PM »

Ever try to climb the outside of the tower on Shadow of Colossus?  I think my best try I got about 2/3 of the way there.

Edit: Also, grabbing onto the hawks and flying around for no reason.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:09:19 PM by JR Hill » Logged

hi
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »

The 'areas you're not supposed to go to' are also some of my favorites. They give you a feeling that you're beating the system, that you're smarter than the game developers, and you can beat them in their own game.
i like this only in mmos like wow, but there i spend several hours to find new unseen areas ^^
alspal
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »

The cow level in Diablo 2.

Indeed, that was always fun; especially when your character was able to kill them all before everyone else.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »

The hidden Nali dungeon in DM-Peak

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
TheDustin
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »

I second the mentions of Mr. Gimmick, Zelda, hidden mini-games, and that one cow level (that doesn't exist). They make the game more engrossing and memorable, and show thoughtfulness on the designer's part. These hidden moments also make the game more interactive, which always is a good thing.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »

I liked the hidden memory vaults in Psychonauts.

One level is the mind of your upbeat, energetic levitation professor. Her world is like a big disco, with funky lights and music. However, in one area there is a dark tunnel you spot if you're observant. Inside you discover a chest and a slidemaster reel with some interesting pictures. If you hop into the chest, you discover an eerie chamber with some bizarre, tormented looking creatures. The slidemaster, when viewed, shows scenes of the professor with a group of happy children, only to return from the grocery store and discover a fire, presumably killing them all. This is the only place in the game where you learn about this aspect of her past, and you could complete the game without ever finding it.

Final Fantasy 9 had a similar bit regarding Zidane and the red-haired hitman. If you watched a certain series of scenes in one town, you could unlock a cutscene revealing how the hitman became a criminal, and how it was the fault of Zidane (who apparently doesn't even know it was his fault). It's a little tidbit that you could easily go through the game many times without ever knowing.

I like those kinds of secrets in story-based games.

-SirNiko
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic