Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:19:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKanji Dungeon V0.8 Mar 7th
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kanji Dungeon V0.8 Mar 7th  (Read 7147 times)
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:05:51 AM »

opening up a log here for Kanji Dungeon.

Newest version is up at http://homedrone.110mb.com/kanjiTest.html (V0.8 )

Old version still at http://homedrone.110mb.com/kanji.html (V0.7)

GOALS
===============
Kanji: 298?/250-300
Levels: 42/100

Other things to do
====================
Several new monsters.
End reward.
Arrow key movement option for those that would prefer it.
spell check.

I want to make it so that each player profile can play each of the classes simultaneously. You can quit playing one, and play another without resetting the first classes progress. Each class could be reset separately.

Known bugs
====================
1) There is a problem with the Valkryie's jump when dealing with moving walls. Still working on a solution. For now, be aware that jumping near moving walls might cause some glitches that will make you have to restart the level.

I think I have fixed this.

2) I thought I improved the stacking of things on the z axis, but I really just traded some problems for others. Still trying to find the best solution. It's really just a problem with doors now. They get covered by wall pieces they shouldn't.

Tweaks and updates
===================
V0.8
Play any class anytime for each player profile. Makes old game saves unusable.

V0.7
The Valkryie jumping bug was sorted.

Some other small bugs were sorted.

V0.6
The main addition for V0.6 is the Wizard class Wizard . Quick description:
He is very weak. Least HP of all classes. He is also slow, like the knight. He doesn't have a basic attack. Instead he makes mana. You can have up to 3 mana points. His first SPECIAL is fireballs. 1 mana point makes a slow fireball. 2 mana points makes a fast fireball and 3 mana points makes a fireball equal to one from a scroll. His second SPECIAL is a flash of light that scares monsters away. 1 mana has a range of 1 square and lasts a short time, 3 mana has a range of about 3 squares and lasts the longest time. The last SPECIAL is to teleport. It needs 3 mana points. A circle appears and a 3 second countdown begins. Use the arrow keys to position the circle on the square you want to move to and wait for the timer to run out. You can't teleport through walls, but you can go around corners. You can't teleport to spaces with monsters in them.

I think the wizard plays the most different from the other classes. Some levels become much easier, but others become much harder.  

There were some other small changes to the game, but I forget now what they were  Facepalm

V0.5
Streamlined the monster AI code so that maps with many monsters run much better.

Changed the stacking order to try and improve some of the clipping.

Added the Valkyrie class. Quick description:
She is fast like the Rogue but also weak like the Rogue (just a few more HP). She has an excellent attack, most damage of the classes so far, but no multi attack ability. Her REFLEX special will auto face and attack a random enemy in close range. Good for fighting ghosts or when surrounded. Her push back special does very little damage, but moving into the new square has some advantages. The leap action can be used to easily avoid most traps, but the ones that need special timing may be more difficult.

V0.4
The Rogue's multi shot fire rate was a little too high, so thinking I was being clever I increased it's cool down time so it could still have the same reaction speed. But it had this annoying problem that I kept trying to activate it too soon after I had used it, messing me up. So I just switched the extra time to the charge up instead.

Skeletons will sometimes use their shield now if the hero is facing them.

Feedback desired
==================
I'd like to know if there are any levels people just hate.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:06:28 PM by homeDrone » Logged
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »

The first time I tried playing this, it got stuck loading at around 30%.  Forcing the page to reload (Ctrl+F5 in Firefox) fixed the issue though.  This may have been caused by NoScript, but I don't know for certain.

When the game finished loading, I was unable to use the arrow keys at the main menu.  I tried clicking on the game, but that did not help.  The return key worked and I was able to read the next screen (level selection I think).  On this screen I am able to enter in a name, but nothing else works.

This looks like an interesting game, especially since I am teaching myself Japanese.  Any ideas on what might be wrong?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:21:16 AM by InvisibleMan » Logged

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »

I have the loading issue as well. The 110mb hosting seems to have that problem, but I don't really know why.

As for the arrow keys, I have no idea Shocked. Once it's loaded, it should be fine. I'd have said it was because you had lost focus on the flash with the mouse, but if the enter key worked, that doesn't explain it. Was it possible you were using the numeric keypad arrows and the num lock was on? Just a desperate thought.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »

Kiss
I am posting here because I want to make sure I see the updates and stuff.
Keep up the delicious delicious delicious work?

[I'll continue to use the game and provide what bug reports/feedback I can]

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »

I have the loading issue as well. The 110mb hosting seems to have that problem, but I don't really know why.

As for the arrow keys, I have no idea Shocked. Once it's loaded, it should be fine. I'd have said it was because you had lost focus on the flash with the mouse, but if the enter key worked, that doesn't explain it. Was it possible you were using the numeric keypad arrows and the num lock was on? Just a desperate thought.

Nope, I wasn't using the numpad Concerned  I'll try it again later today...  Maybe it will fix itself.

ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »

I like the idea, and I hope that you get higher levels of kanji up, so that I can actually use it. User generated lists maybe?

I found using shift to select "Pick Up" to be very tedious, since I use Double Tap Shift as a shortcut for Google Sidebar. You may also run into trouble with people that like StickyKeys. Five Shift Presses and you're done. That's just me, though. You could just line the specials up and have not so large characters next to each of them.

Also, if it's a dungeon crawl, can it play more like a dungeon crawl and less like a FPS? RPG elements may make the game more immersive for some.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:25:17 PM »

Very cool idea, very neat execution.
A friend of mine will send it to classmates of this Japanese class. He says thanks! Smiley

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »

Not to be a weaboo here but why are some of the things in that screenshot not Kanji?

Such as Ji, Be, Ka, and Po
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »

I like the idea, and I hope that you get higher levels of kanji up, so that I can actually use it. User generated lists maybe?

I'm not deft enough at programming to have user generated lists yet, at least not from outside files or something. But it's a great idea. For now, I hope being able to set your starting level is good enough.

I found using shift to select "Pick Up" to be very tedious, since I use Double Tap Shift as a shortcut for Google Sidebar. You may also run into trouble with people that like StickyKeys. Five Shift Presses and you're done. That's just me, though. You could just line the specials up and have not so large characters next to each of them.

There is an option of different settings for your pickups. It can be automatic, or it can be set to automatically put the pick up icon as your next special action when you stand on an item. You can set it in the ESC menu when you are playing. Later I will add it to the main menu when you are starting a new game to make it more obvious.

Also, if it's a dungeon crawl, can it play more like a dungeon crawl and less like a FPS? RPG elements may make the game more immersive for some.

You mean having stats and such that you increase? I chose not to have stats or even upgradeable equipment to keep the scope within a limit I could manage. I'd defiantly consider it in a sequel, but for now I was hoping people could feel some kind of satisfaction knowing they finished the dungeon the same as they went in.

I'm assuming you meant an action game when you said FPS, or did I misunderstand?

Very cool idea, very neat execution.
A friend of mine will send it to classmates of this Japanese class. He says thanks! Smiley

Heh, I hope it's useful for them. It is still full of quirks that need to be ironed out, but you're welcome.

Not to be a weaboo here but why are some of the things in that screenshot not Kanji?

Such as Ji, Be, Ka, and Po

Calling it "Kanji and Hirigana plus a little English Dungeon" didn't have the same kick.  Wink
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »

I was deleting old files to clean up my working folder when I found the first mockup I made after getting the idea for Kanji Dungeon. I thought I'd post it here for your amusement:

ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »

I still think that contextual commands like pick up, eat, unlock, open, etc. deserve their own slot. Might get really complicated in some dicey situations.

Also, the timed treasure room is pretty evil.
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »

I still think that contextual commands like pick up, eat, unlock, open, etc. deserve their own slot. Might get really complicated in some dicey situations.

Hmm.. I toyed with that in some earlier mockups, but the screen was getting overcrowded. And I worried about adding an extra key needed to cycle the context driven commands.

As it is now, the only real hectic moment I have with switching actions is when I want to close a door in combat. But I'll keep thinking about alternate options. If you have a good idea for it, let me know.

Also, the timed treasure room is pretty evil.

Damn those evil wizards Wizard.

I wanted a break from level making, so I drew the other 2 classes.

I'm almost finished putting the Valkryie in. Should be playable in the next version.
ChaoSpectre
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »

We long to hear from you.
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 08:11:39 PM »

Oh. heh, Thanks.

I'm on the case. I just had a busy week of other things to do. I have the Valkyrie working and almost 300 kanji in now. Once I get some temp sounds in for the Valkyrie, I'll update.
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »

Updated to V0.5
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »

Oh my :D

I've been a bit busy, but so far the Valkyrie seems fun. I'll let you know when I play more.

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »

V0.6 is up. I added the wizard class. You can see a description of it in my first post.

I have a problem in my game design I could use some help with. It's about my moving walls and the Valkyrie jump. Movement that happens instantaneously is no problem, like teleporting and the ghosts attack. Movement that goes from one square to another is also not a problem. If a unit is standing still when a wall pushes them, they just move in the direction of the wall. If they can't move, they die. If they are moving either into or away from a moving wall space, they get pushed to either their start or end location depending on which one the wall is moving into.

The Valkyrie can only jump if it has a clear space to go to, it's landing space is reserved, so no monsters can go there. But moving walls always have the right of way. So if the Valkyrie jumps when the space is clear, a wall can move into that space before the Valkyrie lands. If there is a monster in the space the Valkyrie is jumping over, there is nowhere for her to go.  I guess the simple solution is to kill her, but that seems a little harsh. I can't decide what should happen here.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »

I suggest:
Have the moving wall "push" the Valkyrie's landing location so that her direction is changed mid-air.

What does it normally do if it runs into you?

(Push into a wall = instadeath, though)

Trying now (I've been a bit occupied, not had much chance to play as much!)

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »

I was also thinking of having the Valkyrie "bounce" off the wall and go in the other direction. Basically go back to the square she started. I was worried what would happen if a monster had already started to move into her original square, but I guess I can reserve it as well.

It normally pushes you out of it's way. Or it kills you if there is nowhere to go.

And don't worry about not having time to test it for me. I'll just take the slacking out of your wages.  Hand Money Left Huh? Hand Money Right Whenever you can is great.

I think my record on Probability 0 is only 500m so far. It's hard for me, but I like that. It takes me back to playing games on my AppleIIe but with more stylish graphics.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 04:24:06 PM »

Hooray! Hard games!

Speaking of which, this game is quite hard! I think the furthest I got was in 0.4 (or maybe the in-between test?) and I got to the floor with the big winding and thin path along the huuge pit with skeletons and so many damned ghosts xD

I never got past there. I think I was a rogue.

So far:

Valkyrie seems cool. I'll have to see if her abilities really come in handy, but her jump makes most traps easy pickings. Ooh! I just realized you can jump over pits with that.

Wizard is craaazy. Definitely messes with the difficulty. Teleporting is a blast, and it lets me avoid a lot of conflict completely. It's good that there is a fixed delay (the 3-2-1 countdown). Can you hurt yourself with a 3-mana fireball? Flash is incredibly incredibly useful, perhaps too much so? You can get out of almost anything using it, but so far it's still been rather stressful even flashing enemies away so it can't be too bad.

edit :: is there any chance of getting an executable or something? I'd love to play this on my laptop at school. at least I'd be learning something there!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic