Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:14:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKanji Dungeon V0.8 Mar 7th
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kanji Dungeon V0.8 Mar 7th  (Read 7150 times)
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »

When I was play testing the Rogue, I got to that level you're talking about (20 I think) and found it exceedingly hard myself..so I made it easier. Cut the number of ghosts way down. It was very doable with the knight, but the rogue just couldn't cut it. It's manageable now.

I was concerned that too much was bypassable with the wizard but you still have to work to get the loot. You can pick and choose more, but there is still a reason to fight. Your comments on the flash (Fear & Awe) are well noted. I will think about toning it down. Maybe making it just a 3 mana power ability and maybe cutting the time down a bit. I'll leave it for a while though.

You can easily kill yourself with LVL3 fireballs.

I made an .exe file of V0.6 you can download here:
http://homedrone.110mb.com/kanjiDungeon.txt

I renamed it to a .txt file so that I could upload it. You will need to name it back to .exe

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »

I updated to V0.7

Just a few bug fixes and levels up to 40. I hope to get to level 50 before the 8th when I start school.

I was noticing I hardly use the SPEED potions. So I was thinking to replace them with a potion that stops time. FREEZE potions if you will. What level of freeze should I make it. Should you be able to kill the monsters when they are frozen? Should you be able to move into locations with fireballs and arrows in them and take damage? Should electric traps be frozen in an on state if they were when the potion was used? Should doors be open and closeable? What would your expectations be?

rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 12:46:26 AM »

I love the visual and opening lines. But I couldn't get out of the room because I was too lazy to read the instruction. But you might want to swap "spacebar" with "enter". I find it more natural to press the spacebar every time I try to input.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »

Just a little note, because I've been kind of busier recently (sorryy >: I feel like I have let you down, homedrone! also my japanese-learnins), I think it might be nice to do something that lets you start later down in the dungeons when you restart.

You'd start without any of the items you might have collected, though, so you could be at a bit of a disadvantage? (Makes me think of Spelunky's Tunnel Man now, who I ended up never using much xD)

--- on potions ---

I should probably use potions more often.

FREEZE sounds pretty awesome o_o
I think that the freeze should be uniformly "fixed" or "unfreezeable by touch".

Fixed
Enemies cannot be affected, and they block your path.
Fireballs, arrows... block your path? Or are walked through, but never hurt you.
Doors are totally stuck. Your fired projectiles are exempt
Electric traps don't do anything.

Unfreezable by touch
When struck, the enemy in question is knocked out of frozen-ness (can this be done?) and takes damage.
Projectiles hurt if walked into, because they 'come alive' again. You can also attack the tile the projectile is in, to 'knock it free'?
Electric traps are unfrozen when you step on them.
Arrow traps make a noise, but the firing mechanism is totally frozen until time unfreezes.

How does that sound? o_o; It sounds a bit complicated to me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:31:09 AM by Droqen » Logged

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »

I love the visual and opening lines. But I couldn't get out of the room because I was too lazy to read the instruction. But you might want to swap "spacebar" with "enter". I find it more natural to press the spacebar every time I try to input.

You probably just needed to know that SHIFT changes your special action, and standing in front of a door will add an "OPEN DOOR" action to that list.

I know customizable keys would be good, but I don't really know how I will do it yet, so it's a task I will try out when all else is done. Sorry for the inconvenience  Sad

I feel like I have let you down, homedrone!

I relieve you of your guilt. It's cool to get feedback, but I have no expectation of it. You've given me tonnes of feedback already anyway. Like this:

I think it might be nice to do something that lets you start later down in the dungeons when you restart.

You'd start without any of the items you might have collected, though, so you could be at a bit of a disadvantage? (Makes me think of Spelunky's Tunnel Man now, who I ended up never using much xD)

I hear what you're saying. I will say now though, that there is a reason to collect loot. There will be different endings depending on how much loot you collect. Starting at a certain point without any of the stuff would condemn yourself to the "bad" ending because you missed too much of the loot. Also, after I make the change of being able to play each class simultaneously for each user profile might soften the blow of having to restart one character from the beginning again, if you had to. Only once did I get to a level where I couldn't get past it, and my solution was to edit the level  Wink

I should probably use potions more often.

There are several places invisibility potions can save you a lot of trouble, especially with Skeletons.

Fixed
Enemies cannot be affected, and they block your path.
Fireballs, arrows... block your path? Or are walked through, but never hurt you.
Doors are totally stuck. Your fired projectiles are exempt
Electric traps don't do anything.

This was my initial thought. Though, I was planning to have even the players projectiles freeze when fired. If the monsters are immune to damage when frozen, why were you thinking the players projectiles should move?

Unfreezable by touch
When struck, the enemy in question is knocked out of frozen-ness (can this be done?) and takes damage.
Projectiles hurt if walked into, because they 'come alive' again. You can also attack the tile the projectile is in, to 'knock it free'?
Electric traps are unfrozen when you step on them.
Arrow traps make a noise, but the firing mechanism is totally frozen until time unfreezes.

It can be done, and actually, for the monsters, it's almost easier to do that than to have them immune to harm. I might make a trail version like this.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 07:12:17 AM »

I relieve you of your guilt.
Yay!

There are several places invisibility potions can save you a lot of trouble, especially with Skeletons.
Ah! I use invisibility potions the most, probably. They're the easiest to get use out of, I think.

On Skeletons: It's way better to lock them up. Evil You can peek out, run back in, beat them up, run past, and shut them in without taking any damage and without having to ever deal with them again. I love doing it.
(Did you realize this, or is it just coincidence that Skeletons are frequently near doors?)

This was my initial thought. Though, I was planning to have even the players projectiles freeze when fired. If the monsters are immune to damage when frozen, why were you thinking the players projectiles should move?
Hmm. I was thinking that mostly because the player's also moving around freely, but I get what you're saying.

It can be done, and actually, for the monsters, it's almost easier to do that than to have them immune to harm. I might make a trial version like this.
Alright! Cool :]

I just realized that maybe this new idea doesn't make sense within a potion and is starting to make more sense as a scroll (as it affects external things more than internal things).

Xorax
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »

Hey ... thanks for making a game that can help with my studies ^^
I've just started playing this so I haven't seen that much of it yet
but I thought I'd give some feedback:

-first of all I wonder why you've put several readings for some of the kanji (口=guchi/kuchi) but not for others?
I think for example that one should be able to write "九" as both "ku" and "kyuu" ...
The same goes for being able to write "十" as both "jyuu" and "juu"
I dunno why you've chosen the readings you have as I can't see an obvious pattern ...
but it would probably be better to have either all the readings or to use just the
on'yomi or the kun'yomi readings so that people can start playing with all the kanji
unlocked without having to guess what they should write ...

-Some of the kanji might be wrong ... I've for example never seen "生" read as "i" ...
this is most likely just a spelling-mistake ... but if isn't it would be nice if you
could tell me a word in which it is read as "i"

-An option to discard certain kanji/kana would be nice (at least all the kana)

-I'm not very fond of the kanji-movement-interface-thingie so I would like to see
that changed as well ...
I think for example putting the attack button in the middle and the special powers as
separate buttons below would work better ...

I think that's enough for now ...
I'm really enjoying the game so keep up the good work etc.

-Xorax
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »

I love the concept, but movement is just really, really slow-paced.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »

-first of all I wonder why you've put several readings for some of the kanji (口=guchi/kuchi) but not for others?
I think for example that one should be able to write "九" as both "ku" and "kyuu" ...
The same goes for being able to write "十" as both "jyuu" and "juu"
I dunno why you've chosen the readings you have as I can't see an obvious pattern ...
but it would probably be better to have either all the readings or to use just the
on'yomi or the kun'yomi readings so that people can start playing with all the kanji
unlocked without having to guess what they should write ...

-Some of the kanji might be wrong ... I've for example never seen "生" read as "i" ...
this is most likely just a spelling-mistake ... but if isn't it would be nice if you
could tell me a word in which it is read as "i"

The Kanji list needs some editing for sure. I will need to go and add all the variations as you say. As for the source, I have used one of my text books for all the information. "生" as "i" is from the verb "ikiru". Which is kind of a mistake, because I've been trying to put the verbs with their hirigana as well. In general, I wanted the reading that was used when the kanji stood alone. The other readings are taught in context with other kanji.

-An option to discard certain kanji/kana would be nice (at least all the kana)

Good idea. It poses some technical problems for me, so I will have to think how I can add that.

-I'm not very fond of the kanji-movement-interface-thingie so I would like to see
that changed as well ...
I think for example putting the attack button in the middle and the special powers as
separate buttons below would work better ...

I'll add your name to the against pile. I am planning to put in an arrow key movement system for you folk, but it's not how I want to play the game, so it's low priority.

I think that's enough for now ...
I'm really enjoying the game so keep up the good work etc.

-Xorax

Thank you for the feedback   b(^^)

I love the concept, but movement is just really, really slow-paced.

I planned to design the levels to be smallish to keep the long distance movement down. I've found that I can cruise around pretty good now that I have practiced the Hirigana and the typing a whole lot. A critical part of the concept for me is the movment. But the speed might improve for you when I get the arrow key movement in.
Xorax
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 06:20:22 AM »

"生" as "i" is from the verb "ikiru"
-Thank you ^^

I'll add your name to the against pile. I am planning to put in an arrow key movement system for you folk, but it's not how I want to play the game, so it's low priority.
-Sorry bout being unclear ... I have no interest in playing this with the arrow keys ...
by buttons I actually meant "the boxes on screen showing the kanji that you write to
perform the desired action" ... I still would like to write the kanji (that's pretty
much the reason I'm playing this) ... I would just like to see the boxes arranged
in a different way (preferably with the specials as separate boxes)

-Xorax
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

I would just like to see the boxes arranged in a different way (preferably with the specials as separate boxes)

Oh, you're just annoyed with hitting the shift button.. Hmmm.. The reason I settled on the system I have is that the number of special actions changes from time to time. It's usually just 3, but can be up to 6 (3 special attacks, door, item, scroll). Also, it allows me to add even more actions later if I think of something new. Also, when I was doing mock-ups at the beginning, it was like rearranging the furniture in my room. It doesn't seem ideal, but once I start moving stuff, I always end up with the same layout  Shrug .

Ah! I use invisibility potions the most, probably. They're the easiest to get use out of, I think.

On Skeletons: It's way better to lock them up. Evil You can peek out, run back in, beat them up, run past, and shut them in without taking any damage and without having to ever deal with them again. I love doing it.
(Did you realize this, or is it just coincidence that Skeletons are frequently near doors?)

I like shutting them right under a door and watching them struggle  Wink.

I just realized that maybe this new idea doesn't make sense within a potion and is starting to make more sense as a scroll (as it affects external things more than internal things).

You're probably right thematically, but making it a scroll would throw off my fine 4/4 scroll/potion balance  Lips Sealed   
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »

Actually, I would have less of a quibble with the movement being keyed in if the abilities didn't require cycling, because it adds 3 keystrokes every time there is something to interact with.
That, and I think there should be a pause menu that lists your abilities, because I keep forgetting what they are.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »

Actually, I would have less of a quibble with the movement being keyed in if the abilities didn't require cycling, because it adds 3 keystrokes every time there is something to interact with.

It's possible you don't know about the "PICK UP" settings. You can change it so the pick up command automatically becomes the active ability when you move onto items. It's in the pause menu at the moment. Set it to "PRIORITY". I plan to set it as the default. With that, it's only really opening and unlocking doors that you have to shift a lot for.

That, and I think there should be a pause menu that lists your abilities, because I keep forgetting what they are.

Yes there should. Added to the list.
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »

I finally got the game running with each HERO account being able to play any of the classes anytime. But I had to rework the saving system a lot, so the old saves wont work anymore Sad

So I'm putting the new version (V0.8 ) up as a test at: http://homedrone.110mb.com/kanjiTest.html

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:07:13 PM by homeDrone » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »

where hast thou gone

where are you, my dungeon of kanji

i am now taking a real japanese course

i will love this once more

homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »

On hiatus for school. Will be back to work in February.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic