Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:56:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnderside Preview Released!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Underside Preview Released!  (Read 19302 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 09:28:42 AM »

wow, what a shameless ripoff.
art-wise anyway.
i hope the guy is ready for a lifetime of "this looks a lot like cave story".

Shinji16
Level 0

That stupid Bemani kid...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 09:34:46 AM »

wow, what a shameless ripoff.
art-wise anyway.
i hope the guy is ready for a lifetime of "this looks a lot like cave story".

Um... hello? Tribute game?

I'm surprised so many of you keep bitching about 'oh it's amateurist' and 'it steals from Cave Story'. It's a tribute game ffs.

Smile - life is good!
Shinji16
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 09:35:43 AM »

Oh... also, has anyone heard anything from Pixel about this? Or bothered to notify him of this?

Smile - life is good!
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 09:58:01 AM »

Saying it's a tribute doesn't really qualify as an excuse to make it so much like it, in my book. Like saying a game is art as an excuse for it actually being very thin on gameplay.

He's free to make it as he wants, but if he just made graphics differently it would appear so much better to more people.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 10:36:38 AM »

Like saying a game is art as an excuse for it actually being very thin on gameplay.

Actually, that's a pretty good excuse for being thin on gameplay. Not everything needs to fall into neat little catagories!

Shinji16
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 11:37:06 AM »

I agree. At the same time though, Underside is a game with a certain art style, not a certain art style being presented in game format, so it would eed gameplay.

I personally I have been very content with the gameplay. Perhaps I'm missing something...? I mean, I know that I'm a self proclaimed idiot, but I'm waiving that clause for this thread.

Smile - life is good!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »

Saying it's a tribute doesn't really qualify as an excuse to make it so much like it, in my book.
Haha, that tickles me for some reason. IMO, the whole purpose of a tribute is to respect something that the creator holds in high regard by way of imitation some way or another. If an artist were to give a tribute to another artist, the style may differ but the subject remain the same, or vice versa. So the Underside is a tribute in that it has the same style but a different subject. This game is very funny, which sets it apart from CS, during which I hardly (if at all) laughed. So, are the graphics pretty identical? Yeah. But beyond that the convergent similarities aren't layed on as thick. Okay, sure, you've got a run, jump, shoot platformer, but the linearity of it all gives it an on-rails feel compared to CS.
Comparing this to Cave Story is like comparing...Comparing...homonyms...homographs...homophones...you know, those words that are the same but...not.
These games are homophonous.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »

Hey, er...

Where does it say anywhere that this is a tribute?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 07:32:56 PM »

O...>_>

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 07:41:06 PM »

Well, I don't know.

If a musician sounds really similar to another musician, is that called a tribute? If a painter has a really similar style to another painter, is that called a tribute?

Sure, in both those examples you will find people with influences, sometimes strong influences... sometimes embarassingly strong influences and outright ripoffs. But you would also expect - hope - that these people would be using that as a starting point to developing their own individual style, not making extra effort to become superficially closer to their starting point.

I guess I don't really buy the whole "hey, it's a tribute" argument. That isn't generally the way that someone pays tribute to someone else. It just seems like a creative crutch that you are better off kicking out. The desire to replicate your influences is strong but it ought to be fought against rather than embraced.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 08:06:44 PM »

hey(hope I’m not interrupting) Undecided  eh.  Although it is only about 2.3% done I think it’s holding up pretty good in the humor dept.  That's the good side. heh.  Yeah, it is very CS-ish. But I’ll have to admit that the humor, and wanting to see how much more metroidy it could get kept the game going and me playing.  Everyone sort of picked out the good points.  The first time trying to hop onto one tile wide pillars was a pain though.  Other than that it's looking good.  Ok. 1 cent.
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »

Like I originally said, ages ago, as long as the gameplay is good, it kind of doesn't matter what he's ripped off and what he hasn't. At the moment, the gameplay is good, definitely not perfect, but I wasn't expecting that. If you get bogged down behind the fact that it's graphically joined at the waist with Cave Story, then you'll just have to miss out. Or moan a lot more (I think I know which is going to happen, but meh).

In other news, this is an amusing if not mindmelting read: When Pod met Bogo...

And has anyone found a use for collecting the little shards of enemies yet?

Last release: sync::routine
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 02:47:22 AM »

Like saying a game is art as an excuse for it actually being very thin on gameplay.

Actually, that's a pretty good excuse for being thin on gameplay. Not everything needs to fall into neat little catagories!

Er, there's no excuse for a GAME to be thin on GAMEplay apart from the incompetance of those who designed and programmed it.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic