Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:58:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAbsent Eden: Side-scroller efforts of a lone artist....
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Absent Eden: Side-scroller efforts of a lone artist....  (Read 19311 times)
One of the Beatles
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 08:03:57 AM »

Wow. This is looking fantastic! My Word!
Can't believe I hadn't seen it yet... Oh well...
Keep up the good work!
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »

The game looks very good. I also like the explosions a lot.
As the others say, the colors are what make it really stand out.

Howard Day
Level 1

Huge fan of spaceships and exposions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »

george: Whew. Thanks. Glad it finally worked for you. :D
AlexMay: Thanks! Yes, the mouse locking is a problem I'm going to fix. In the meanwhile, to get out of the program just use Alt-F4 for now. Jumping: I KNOW! MMF2 doesn't seem to have any built in system for allowing a simple "up" press to be the jump! WTF, right? I'll have to figure out a way around that. I think I've fixed the camera lag in the latest version, give it a look and let me know. The Player gun just needs some extra angles rendered out - should fix that easily. The tree animations may be revisited at a later point - but for right now I like 'em plenty. They remind me of that old-school palette shifting trick used in awesome games like Fate of Atlantis. :D
Gabriel G: Glad you like it!
CiroContinsio: Thanks! Those colors were definitely inspired by Mirrors Edge. :D

OKAY! Update time!
http://www.hedfiles.net/AEUpdate5.exe
Known issues:
The GunApe doesn't animate properly when jumping, running backwards, or doing anything other than standing still or running forwards.
The Menu options "Credits" and "How to Play" do nothing.
Some framerate issues - odd, since they don't seem to be related directly to the new enemies...

Updated in this version:
First Enemy type, the rollypollyBOT has been implemented!
Player health has been added
Lots of other tweaks...

Currently working on: The GunApe's animations, model. Sorta stalled on the new face model. I get the feeling that's gonna take a while to get right.

Next up on the list:
Complete the visible In-game HUD with health, score, and heat monitors.
Intro, Main menu.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:29:50 AM by Howard Day » Logged

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 02:20:38 AM »

It's very good...

Someone talked about the trees before, and that someone is right: they are strange, they don't wave, they only lose leaves... it's strange especially when watched at 2X zoom or fullscreen.

The rest is top notch. And anyway they don't bother me too much.

alspal
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 02:32:18 AM »

Jumping: I KNOW! MMF2 doesn't seem to have any built in system for allowing a simple "up" press to be the jump! WTF, right?
Hmm? Are you using the built-in (premade) movements or a custom one? Either way you can easily set "up" to be the jump key if you so desire.
Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »

alastair john jack: Yep, built in platforming. The only options I see are No Jump, Up+Left/Right, Button 1, and Button 2. Am I missing something obvious? Button 1 is the left mouse button, 2 is the right.
CiroContinisio: Cool. Yeah, the animation is just an overlay.

Still working on this - hopefully I'll have a main menu difficulty select, and a second enemy type. BUMBLEBOT LIVES.

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
alspal
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »

Just set the jump button to button 1/2 and then edit the controls so that the "up" key is button 1.
Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »

alastair: Okay, that doesn't seem to work. Since I have a mouse-controlled object in the scene, it seems that the Button 1&2 are hard-coded to mouse clicks. Out of curiosity, where are you setting the control inputs?

Tasty, Tasty Update time!
http://www.hedfiles.net/AEUpdate6.exe -15.5MB
Known issues:
The GunApe doesn't animate properly when jumping, running backwards, or doing anything other than standing still or running forwards.
Some framerate issues...not as bad as they have been, tracking them down further.

Updated in this version:
BumbleBot Added! HE LIVES!
New intro logo...mebe temporary, but I kinda like it...
Lots of other tweaks...

Currently working on: The GunApe's animations, model. Sorta stalled on the new face model. I get the feeling that's gonna take a while to get right.

Next up on the list:
Complete the visible In-game HUD with health, score, and heat monitors.
Intro, Main menu.

I should mention that I got levels of difficulty working - it's currently hard-coded to the hardest, but it's in there and it works!
Thoughts?

alspal
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 05:13:39 AM »

Heres how to change the default controls, is that what you mean?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1024727/howard.PNG

The game is starting to come along quite nicely, the graphics are obviously quite nice; although I'm not sure about the readability of the bullets that the enemies shoot is as good as it could be, do they have an additive or some other effect applied to them?

Do you think it would be better if the scrolling was focused at a point that is an average distance between the mouse pointer and the player? But perhaps you don't want the player to ever look to the left of the gorilla.

I'm not sure about the hitbox of the player, i.e., the surface area where you can get by bullets seems a little too large. Do you lose health if the bullets hit your gun? It might be good to perhaps make a hitbox thats slightly smaller than the gorilla? I don't know, just a thought. I'm just use to small/generous hitboxes in japanese shoot 'em ups.

It's very nice so far though  Coffee
madebynewt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:16 AM »

it looks beautiful!!! Very inspiring! good job!

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:20 AM »

Just commenting because I want to see this one again.

Classy!

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Jacob Pariseau
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 03:40:28 AM »

If it is a platform engine you are looking for, I strongly advise against using the default movement. It is buggy and only really intended for backwards compatibility and users without the skill to make their own. Here is a platform widget created by Nifflas and optimised by myself http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=170740#Post170740 that you can use. The events are stored in the behaviour, so you can just copy the yellow box over and it'll work almost right away. If you look in the main event editor you can see the events required to make it work. It's about as simple as it gets.

Also, I don't know if you've seen, but you are mentioned over at http://gamebuilder.info/ . Which is where I found out about this.

Anyway, great job, it looks amazing. I hope you have as good a time making it as I know we will playing it!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 04:31:53 AM »

Beautiful.

AaronG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »

I don't know if it's the gorilla or the gorgeous graphics, but I get a bit of a Donkey Kong Country vibe.  Your art style also reminds me of Blast Corps, another Rare classic.  This, sir, is a very, very good thing in my book.
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »

The game is visually appealing, but I have one issue with it:  Please don't force the mouse cursor to be in the center of the game screen.  If the user moves it off the screen by mistake, he'll just learn not to do that.  Also, a fullscreen mode would be nice (may have been available, but I was unable to click the maximize button due to the cursor issue).

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=9591.200

A lot of cool things in that thread relating to this game. I THINK that update on page 5 at the bottom is more up-to-date than the one we have here, not sure.

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 02:49:28 AM »

alastair john jack: Okay, yeah - that's what I'd been changing. It looks like if you have a mouse controlled object in the scene, MMF2 locks Button 1 and 2 to the two mouse buttons. I've found no way around this. Good call on the hitbox - I'll be adding that to the next build!
madebynewt: Thanks!
Jacob Pariseau: Thanks for that link! I dunno if I'm going to use it, but it's definitely a good option. I kinda want to do this all by myself - the vast majority of the art and coding, anyway. If I can find an alternate route, I'll probably take it. I did see the gamebuilder link! It's definitely pretty cool.
HyperDuck:Thanks, and I'm trying to keep both sites equally updated. :D
jump: Thanks. A bit of donkeykong, and I see where you're coming with the other. The one I'd mention though, is the original Vectorman - lots of grid-work and flags. :D
InvisibleMan: If I could figure out a way to make it NOT do that  would gladly do so. MMF2 seems to be very touchy when it comes to mouse-controlled objects. Still something I'm investigating. To change the resolution, hit ESC to access the menu...

Super Succulent Update time!
http://www.hedfiles.net/AEUpdate8 -40MB - BROKEN LINK CRASH BUG
Known issues:
Jump is disabled...for the time being.

Updated in this version:
updated intro logo...cleaned up a bit
Inserted temp intro video - accounts for much of the 40mb file size. Future example releases will not include this.
Added Heat Gauge - your gun now heats you up - overuse it, and you'll cause damage to yourself.
Hugely updated the background art - lots more variation.
The health and heat gauges fade out when not in use
Adjusted firepower ratios for the DualShok Cannon
Lots of minor under-the-hood tweaks.

Currently working on: The player model and movement in general. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the monkey - I'm having a lot of trouble getting into doing a relatively complete remodel...

Next up on the list:
Complete the visible In-game HUD with the score and life counters
Intro, Main menu.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:57:22 AM by Howard Day » Logged

alspal
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »

Can you set the player of the mouse to player 2 or something?
Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »

Oh, that's brilliant.
Well played!

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »

http://www.hedfiles.net/AEUpdate9.exe - 20MB!
Updated in this version:
updated intro logo...cleaned up a bit
Added Heat Gauge - your gun now heats you up - overuse it, and you'll cause damage to yourself.
Hugely updated the background art - lots more variation.
The health and heat gauges fade out when not in use
Adjusted firepower ratios for the DualShok Cannon
Lots of minor under-the-hood tweaks.
Non-moving vertical jump now works perfectly.

Currently working on: The player model and movement in general.
Next up on the list:
Complete the visible In-game HUD with the score and life counters
Intro, Main menu.

This will most likely be the last playable version I release for some time. I will keep everyone updated with screenshots and images!

Thoughts?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic